Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Padres Score 5 Runs Again, Marlins Score 1 Because They Don't Like Repetition.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would it make you feel better if the team was doing things differently, but still losing? Serious question/not trying to be sarcastic.

Comment

Absolutely

Comment

I feel like we've had this conversation before, but I don't remember exactly.

What would you have done in the offseason?

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
          I feel like we've had this conversation before, but I don't remember exactly.

What would you have done in the offseason?

I'm 1000% sure we've had this conversation before.

I wasn't employed by the team in the offseason, Erick. Had I been working in the front office and had the luxury of making moves I'm not sure exactly what I would have done. I know I would have reinvested between 40-65% of what was saved.

I know what I wouldn't have done. I wouldn't have done what was done.

Because 25 losses on May 9th doesn't look as bad when you reinvest at least half of what you saved from the salary dump. When you have a firesale and bring in Juan Pierre and Placido Polanco and lose 25 games out of the gate, the stench is overwhelming.

Sometimes things need to make more than business sense (especially after opening a new ballpark). They need to make marketing sense.

When things lose marketing sense you end up closing the upper deck in the second month of the season.

I realize that you will disagree with ALL of this and this conversation will go nowhere. So post your response and then we'll just be done with it.

Comment

But what if there wasn't much of anything to reinvest in? No reason to just throw around money just because you have it (not suggesting you are saying that).

I think 25 losses on May 9th arguably looks worse if you've just reinvested in a few 3-4 year deals with players underperforming again.

Comment

I forgot to mention that I was in favor of moving JJ/Buck/Bonifacio fwiw
              --------------------
              Originally posted by Ramp View Post
              I think 25 losses on May 9th arguably looks worse if you've just reinvested in a few 3-4 year deals with players underperforming again.

Of course it does but we don't know that the players acquired would have underperformed.

Ramp, this isn't going to go anywhere. I'm not saying you're wrong. It's just a difference of opinion.

There are smart baseball decisions which are a marketing disaster and smart baseball decisions that take into consideration not obliviating the fan base.

The upper deck is going to closed a lot. Do you see how completely ridiculous that is in the 2nd year of new ballpark?
              Last edited by Namaste; 05-09-2013, 08:44 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I think it's ridiculous, regardless of what year of a ballpark we're in

Comment

I think regardless if we traded all those guys or not our attendance would of been shitty anyways. Not this shitty but prolly shitty enough to do the same thing. Honestly unless someone like Mark Cuban buys the team and injects life into this franchise. Someone to create a buzz. The only buzz we get is negative cause of Loria.

Comment

I sincerely doubt that season ticket renewals would have plummeted to the level that they're at currently if we had:

1) Not made the trade OR
                    2) Fired our front office staff first, and then made necessary moves OR
                    3) Made the trade and reinvested the money in something (anything, really)
                    God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
                    - Daft

Comment

Attendance wasn't that good last yr either. It was a nuance to go see the park last yr. With the team finishing in last place. I think renewals were going down no matter what. Not to this level but prolly close enough to still close the upper deck. Even if we had kept the team intact or partially. South Fl. fans suck to begin with.

Comment

That was a very odd use of nuance. Did you mean novelty?
                        This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

think he means nuisance

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                            think he means nuisance
                            What Fritz said. I'm doing like 3 things at once. But your description is good too!

Comment

Philosophically, I understand the "reinvest it in something, anything." But there's some really bad players out there in the majors on really bad contracts. That's an easy way to become the Pirates.
                              poop

Comment

Choo I think would of been the only CF'er worth investing in last offseason. Upton is just plain turrible and Bourn I don't see much value in. We could of very well ended up digging a bigger hole.

Comment

Working...
                                X