Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins Start Scoring Runs, Split DH with Twins

Discuss
    God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
    - Daft

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75Ua7yJhdcA[/ame]

Comment

I was kinda hoping that Nolasco would finish the year with zero wins. That sucks.

Comment

Night. Day. It all became quite confusing after a wintry storm brought snow to Minneapolis and caused the postponement of Monday's game.

Nolasco was scheduled to go in the first game, but was notified by phone at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday -- only 2 1/2 hours before game time -- that there had been a change of plans. Fernandez would go in the first games while Nolasco would have to wait for the later game.

Manager Mike Redmond said the organization wanted the inexperienced Fernandez, 20, pitching during the warmer daylight hours and the more seasoned Nolasco pitching at night when it was expected to be even colder.

"When we saw the sun shining (Tuesday morning following snowfall overnight), it just made sense to push Fernandez up to start game one, a little bit warmer," Redmond said. "Ricky's a little bit more accustomed to throwing in colder temperatures."

Multiple sources said the decision was made by higher-ups in the organization, however, and did not sit well with Redmond, pitching coach Chuck Hernandez and Nolasco, who were all caught off guard by the announcement.

For doubleheaders, it is normal protocol to allow the pitcher with the most seniority to have his choice of games. Nolasco is the team's all-time wins leader and its opening day starter. Fernandez had made only three big-league starts going in to Tuesday. Furthermore, Nolasco's name was on the lineup card Tuesday morning when players began showing up at the ballpark.

"Not a smart move," said a member of the Marlins' uniformed contingent. "It's a slap in the face to Ricky."

After notching his first win of the season, it was clear Nolasco was biting his tongue.

"I'm not going to talk about that situation," Nolasco said following only the Marlins' fifth win of the season. "Still go to go out there and pitch, happy or not, whatever the situation is. You got to go out there and do my job. It wasn't fun, but just grinded it out."

Asked if he was unhappy about the late change, Nolasco replied: "No comment."

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/04/2...#storylink=cpy

Intersting.
        Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 04-24-2013, 11:43 AM.

Comment

White people problems

Comment

stupid, all around

mostly Ricky's responses though

Comment

Did you want Ricky to rip the team or pretend it didn't bother him? I would be pissed too if I was asked to choose something and then afterward told, well too bad, this is what we're going to do instead. Especially if he knew it came from up top and the manager wasn't really behind the decision as the article suggests.

Comment

I mean, it's not like they skipped his start

he went from pitching in 2 hours to pitching in 6

Comment

Right. But a lot of these guys have certain rituals/perpetration they do in order to get ready mentally for a start. So he shows up to the park ready to go, and now is told he is getting pushed back.

I guess the biggest thing that would get to me is if it is really a sign of disrespect like the article suggests. Why would you give a guy a choice to pick which game he wants, and then take his choice away from him? Did the front office decide at the last second it would be better for Jose to pitch in the day? This is something they could have decided the day before and just told them both what the deal was.

I don't think it's a huge deal, but I could see how he would be bothered by it. It says something for Nolasco that Redman and Hernandez were bothered but it too. It just seems like something the front office shouldn't be messing with so close to game time.. kind of going around the manager's decision.

Comment

Where does it say we gave him a choice?

Comment

The article says that it is normal protocol to allow the pitcher with the most seniority to have his choice of games during a double header.

I don't know that he was given a choice for certain, but judging from the reactions it appears to me he was and chose the day game.

Comment

Maybe

Comment

Protocols since when do we follow them?

Comment

Nolasco should feel fortunate to make the money he makes, and should be happy he got to pitch in Game 2 considering Minnesota's lineup was better in Game 1.

Maybe the Marlins went against protocol because the rookie is going to be great one day, and the veteran sucks.

Comment

Probably not.
                              poop

Comment

Working...
                              X