No announcement yet.

Forbes: Marlins Now Worth $520 Million, Up 16%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef this article mentions it: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/sport...ory?id=1782953

The loophole isn't as liberal as it was in Veeck's day.
    --------------------
    Originally posted by jay576 View Post
    That article said $7 million.
    Read the article again.
    Last edited by Party; 03-27-2013, 08:08 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Thanks - the rule was changed in the year that article was written (and became effective the following year) to allow the entire purchase price to be written off over a 15 year period.

Comment

Originally posted by Party View Post
        Arison has to show a loss to avoid paying the county rent.
        Like, the county has to see the Heat's books every year and determine that the franchise is definitely losing money? I hadn't heard that.
        poop

Comment

Beef, the Forbes numbers never include depreciation, would it be possible for them to have $30-35 in depreciation in one year and show such a large loss? Hanley and JJs contracts were at a point where a significant portion could be written off as depreciation.

I think the Hanley and JJ things don't have any effect here. It's just all based upon the total price paid for the franchise and then that value can be depreciated over 15 years. I haven't been able to find anything that suggests that the roster depreciation allowance can't be applied however and whenever (within the 15 years) the franchise elects.
          Last edited by Beef; 03-27-2013, 08:53 PM.

Comment

That lifetime supply of maple syrup must have really added serious value to the team.
            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Read the article again.
              Indeed, the Forbes ranking puts the Marlins’ operating loss at $7 million last year.
              What did I misread?

Comment

Originally posted by jay576 View Post
                What did I misread?
                http://soflamarlins.com/showpost.php...23&postcount=6

Sorry, it's in this post. Not the same article though.
                --------------------
                Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                Like, the county has to see the Heat's books every year and determine that the franchise is definitely losing money? I hadn't heard that.
                The county has access to the books for the company set up to run the AAA.

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Dai...at-Arena.aspx?
                Last edited by Party; 03-27-2013, 09:01 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Working...
                X