John Maine, SP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Maine, SP

RHP John Maine, who's competing to win the fifth spot in Miami's rotation, will start the Marlins' Grapefruit League opener Feb. 23 against the Cardinals. Maine, 31, hasn't pitched in the majors since 2010. His best season was in 2007, when he went 15-10 with a 3.91 ERA for the Mets. "He's definitely in the mix. We'll see if he can get back on track," manager Mike Redmond said.
    http://www.wdbj7.com/sports/sns-rt-b...,5030066.story
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

JUPITER, Fla. -- The days of regularly throwing 97 mph are likely over for John Maine, but the 31-year-old is certainly hopeful of resurrecting his big league career.

Opportunity is presenting itself to Maine in Miami, where he has a realistic chance to win the Marlins' fifth-starter spot.

Maine's big league career was sidetracked after he underwent his second shoulder surgery in as many years in July 2010. He has spent the past 2 1/2 years battling back, including pitching in the Yankees' Minor League system a year ago.

On Saturday, the Marlins are opening their Grapefruit League schedule with a game against the Cardinals at 1:05 p.m. ET. Maine is getting the start at Roger Dean Stadium.

The 6-foot-4 right-hander is downplaying the significance of being first in line to see game action.

"I was one of a handful of guys they could have chosen," he said. "I'm glad to be pitching, but there is nothing to be read into it."

The outing does have significance, though, because the Marlins are evaluating their options for that fifth spot. Maine, Wade LeBlanc, Brad Hand, Tom Koehler, Alex Sanabia, Kevin Slowey and Mitch Talbot are all in contention.

"He's one of those guys we're looking at to see if he can be the fifth starter," manager Mike Redmond said. "He's definitely in the mix. We'll see if he can get back on track."

For Maine, his scheduled two innings provide a chance to get back to the basics -- throwing quality pitches and showing he can get hitters out.

Prior to his injuries, Maine prided himself on having a durable arm. He'd regularly long toss at 300 feet. But in 2008, he had surgery to remove a bone spur, and more arm trouble followed two years later.

"It's hard," he said. "For me, my whole life, I never had to put a bag of ice on my arm.

"My arm was always fine. I took good care of it. I did all my exercises. I stayed in shape. I could always throw every day. I could have started twice every five days -- that's how my arm was. Surgery and another surgery later, it takes its toll."

Maine's career started with the Orioles, where he pitched 2004-05. From 2006-10, he was with the Mets. His finest season was 2007, when he was 15-10 with a 3.91 ERA, while logging 191 innings.

In five years with the Mets, Maine went 39-32 with a 4.17 ERA.

A non-roster invitee with no guarantee of making the Opening Day roster, Maine essentially has a fresh start.

"We're not concerned about what happened in the past," Redmond said. "We're worried about moving forward, and what he can do now. I know that he's had success in the past. If he can come back and be that guy, it's going to be a big help for our team."

Maine had arthroscopic surgery to clear out scar tissue in his shoulder in July 2010, and he hasn't been back to the big leagues since.

The physical setbacks caused a decrease in velocity. Now he can't rely primarily on power, but he feels that he still throws hard enough to make an impact.

"I don't expect to get back to throwing 97, but I was topping out in the mid-90s," he said. "It's just the feel on pitches. I missed basically 2 1/2 years. It's not going to be one month getting it back.

"It's just getting back to pitching. I spent the last two years just trying to get my arm healthy to throw, instead of actually working on pitching. Now that it's good, I'm just getting back my mechanics, finding everything -- release point, stuff like that. I'm done worrying about my arm being healthy. Now, I just have to become a pitcher again."
    http://miami.marlins.mlb.com/news/ar...s_mia&c_id=mia
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

lol, John Maine. I can't believe he's actually in the discussion to be in our rotation.

It's gonna be a LONG season, boys.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

We're predicting a solid year for Maine.

He's our Javy this year.

Comment

He's our 2005 Al Leiter

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
            We're predicting a solid year for Maine.

He's our Javy this year.
            sure I'll bite.... why?

Comment

God, I forgot fucking Chuck Hernandez is our pitching coach now

Comment

Is that a bad thing?

Comment

I feel like that's one of those things.
                  poop

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                    Is that a bad thing?
                    No. There are no bad things this year.

It's all good.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                      sure I'll bite.... why?

He's no longer a young stud who gets told how great he is and how he has a long successful career ahead of him. Now he's the guy who everyone has written off.

He's struggled for 30 months after the poor performances and surgeries.

30 months is a long time. He has a ton of motivation. He may have no back up career options. Baseball could be all he knows. I realize this is heavy speculation.

He's like a woman in her late 30's who desperately wants to have a child: Its his last realistic shot at making it. MAKE THAT BABY, JOHN.

Comment

I was saying more that you called him "our Javy"

that part threw me off, but I guess you meant it as old guy that pitches well

Javy had recent success when he was brought in... Maine hasn't been decent since 2009

Comment

Working...
                        X