Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Braves' 4-Run First Enough to Sink Fish 4-3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postgame: Braves' 4-Run First Enough to Sink Fish 4-3.

Discuss.

Get well soon, Nick.

Comment

You'd think with both NJ and Cantu out, Gaby would be getting starts. They must really not like him. Really doubt they view him as a starter considering how they've handled him.

Comment

4 hits won't cut it in a Wild Card chase

Comment

win the series tommorow i guess. Nolasco is coming off a complete game against a good astros' lineup and lowe exploded against the mets, the marlins hit lowe hard this year too (10ip 10er)

god i gonna die a young man if pinto keep pitching.
          Originally posted by Matt Wilson
          Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
          Tom Koehler(4-0)
          AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

The Braves starting staff is pretty damn good especially with Hudson coming up too in the next rehab start or two.

Comment

ATLANTA -- Chris Volstad continues to close in on the league leaders in an unenviable category. Taken deep twice in the first inning, Volstad has now given up 26 home runs, which is the third-most in the National League.

The Marlins were unable to overcome the early deficit, and they didn't have much success off Atlanta rookie Tommy Hanson, who struck out seven in seven innings.

Behind home runs from Omar Infante and Yunel Escobar, the Braves defeated the Marlins, 4-3, in front of 35,200 at Turner Field on Saturday night.

The loss evens the three-game series and places the Marlins and Braves in a second-place tie behind the Phillies in the National League East.

Hanson showed why he is a serious NL Rookie of the Year contender. The right-hander, who turns 23 on Aug. 28, limited the Marlins to three runs on four hits with seven strikeouts in seven innings.

Hanley Ramirez went 0-for-3 with a walk and had his career high 16-game hitting streak snapped.

Volstad surrendered four runs in the first inning, and the 22-year-old ended up with a four-inning outing. In his past four starts, he has worked as long as five innings. The Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., native surrendered four runs on six hits.

Infante led off the first with his second home run of the season and sixth leadoff shot of his career. Adam LaRoche delivered an RBI double, and Escobar blasted a two-run homer to left-center.

Hanson, meanwhile, retired the Marlins in order through three innings, using 30 pitches with 24 strikes. Chris Coghlan reached on a four-pitch walk to open the fourth inning.

The Marlins first hit came in the fifth when Jeremy Hermida slapped a two-out single. Wes Helms followed with an RBI double, and Jorge Cantu, who hadn't played since Wednesday at Houston because of a stiff neck, lined a pinch-hit two-run single. Cantu kept his hitting streak alive, which is now at 11.

Renyel Pinto pitched out of danger in the seventh, inheriting from Brian Sanches two runners on and one out. Pinto, batting back from a 3-1 count, struck out LaRoche looking on a full-count change, stranding the bases loaded.

In the eighth, Marlins reliever Brendan Donnelly left the game with right calf tightness. He is day-to-day. Donnelly aggravated his leg while fielding Matt Diaz's sacrifice bunt. He was replaced by Matt Lindstrom.
              Marlins unable to overcome early deficit

Comment

Need Nolasco to get us another man of a performance tomorrow in order to salvage this road trip.
                God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
                - Daft

Comment

Originally posted by Fish and Chips View Post
                  god i gonna die a young man if pinto keep pitching.
                  Didn't see the game, but from looking at the box score it seems strange to single out a guy who pitched 2/3 of inning with a K and a BB. Yeah, Pinto makes things interesting with his high walk rate, but on balance he's put together a decent year: nearly a K an inning and nearly 12 fewer hits than IPs.

What about another crappy start from "Volstud?" For me, that's a much bigger deal. The Marlins MLB site was quick to herald his last start (5 IP, ER, 4BB, 5K) as a return to form. I am still very concerned about him. The HR rate has not really abated and an ERA creeping toward 5 from our supposed number 3 starter does not bode well for our playoff chances.

Hopefully, Anibal will step up in this last month and regain his 2006 form. I don't see us having much of a chance if he doesn't.

Comment

Tomorrow is 'Must Win Game to Stay in the Wild Card Race Game #1'

Comment

Originally posted by Sashimi View Post
                      Didn't see the game, but from looking at the box score it seems strange to single out a guy who pitched 2/3 of inning with a K and a BB. Yeah, Pinto makes things interesting with his high walk rate, but on balance he's put together a decent year: nearly a K an inning and nearly 12 fewer hits than IPs.

What about another crappy start from "Volstud?" For me, that's a much bigger deal. The Marlins MLB site was quick to herald his last start (5 IP, ER, 4BB, 5K) as a return to form. I am still very concerned about him. The HR rate has not really abated and an ERA creeping toward 5 from our supposed number 3 starter does not bode well for our playoff chances.

Hopefully, Anibal will step up in this last month and regain his 2006 form. I don't see us having much of a chance if he doesn't.

pinto walk chipper on 4 pitches, to load the bases, then went 3-1 to adam laroche, but to his credit he strike him out on 2 good pitches. extremely frustating at the time. Yea pinto is having a great season, but doesnt pass the eye test to me(extremely irrelevant), cause he always seems to work himself into trouble.
                      --------------------
                      also Cook is going to the DL, and is out for 3 weeks atleast so the rockies are gonna to rely on a rookie, Jhoulys Chacin(guessing) down the stretch, and that might hurt the rockies down the stretch
                      Last edited by Fish and Chips; 08-22-2009, 10:49 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                      Originally posted by Matt Wilson
                      Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
                      Tom Koehler(4-0)
                      AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

Remember when people would argue with me for saying that Volstad is just not having a good year?

Comment

Remember when you would say we should trade Nolasco for a bat and then in your next post say that we had no pitching depth because we are the worst run organization in the majors (Paraphrasing).

Good for you, you got one right. You also said last season's team wouldn't win more than like 64 games.

Or do you also remember when some people would complain everytime Ricky had a good start because everyone would give you shit about it? That was pretty annoying. So is you going "I TOLD YOU SO" everytime Chris has a bad start.
                          poop

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
                            You'd think with both NJ and Cantu out, Gaby would be getting starts. They must really not like him. Really doubt they view him as a starter considering how they've handled him.
                            Maddening

Comment

Working...
                            X