Loria Refusing Overtures to Buy Team from Big Names, Including Jeb Bush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sandroimbuto
    You can't trade a horrible player with a horrible contract on his own, you have to give up value.

Anyone here thinks John Buck could have been dumped, full salary, for anything?

LoriaFoLyf
    I do find it funny that they traded John Buck for a slightly cheaper and younger version of John Buck.
    Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
    Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
    Noah Perio
    Jupiter
    39 AB
    15 H
    0 2B
    0 3B
    0 HR
    0 BB
    .385/.385/.385

Comment

• What's gross? I am just stating the only two ways he is not owner of this team. I DO NOT WISH HIM DEATH, I WISH HE WOULD SELL THE TEAM. IF he did die it would be a good thing for this franchise, obviously it is a sad situation when anyone dies, unless they have no use to be in society like a child rapist or something, but I do not wish him an unnatural death.

Sandro, of course Buck was never going to be traded unless other pieces were included. If they did pick up more of the contracts that left we would've received better prospects back. Again, it's about the bottom line with this ownership group. To me it seems like Loria is just not rich enough to own a baseball team. Most owners use it as a tax shelter and as a hobby. He does it to make more money.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sandroimbuto
        You can't trade a horrible player with a horrible contract on his own, you have to give up value.

Anyone here thinks John Buck could have been dumped, full salary, for anything?

LoriaFoLyf
        His contract was going to expire after this year anyway, and it wasn't so debilitating that we couldn't have swallowed it for one more year.
        Last edited by Mainge; 02-07-2013, 03:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beef View Post
          If going into the season the teams looks like a legit competitor, you will not be able to root for them/enjoy/be excited because of a lack of trust?
          --------------------

I can understand the lurking feeling of worry.

Not that he'd trade everyone away because they won
          Winning usually translates into contract demands from players. Not always, but it does a lot of the time. Loria we know, will not stand for that, and that means players leave.

Comment

• MLB contracts can't be restructured like they can in the NFL so that doesn't happen.

Comment

• Buck was a guy Loria really wanted and had wanted for a while. Him shitcanning him was actually a rare example of Loria's personal accountability.
              Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
              Noah Perio
              Jupiter
              39 AB
              15 H
              0 2B
              0 3B
              0 HR
              0 BB
              .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Originally posted by Fish Tank Frenzy View Post
                What's gross? I am just stating the only two ways he is not owner of this team. I DO NOT WISH HIM DEATH, I WISH HE WOULD SELL THE TEAM. IF he did die it would be a good thing for this franchise, obviously it is a sad situation when anyone dies, unless they have no use to be in society like a child rapist or something, but I do not wish him an unnatural death.
                Yeah...
                poop

Comment

• Even in death, there is no command but MINE!
                  -last line of Jeffrey Loria's will
                  Noah Perio
                  Jupiter
                  39 AB
                  15 H
                  0 2B
                  0 3B
                  0 HR
                  0 BB
                  .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Originally posted by Beef View Post
                    If going into the season the teams looks like a legit competitor, you will not be able to root for them/enjoy/be excited because of a lack of trust?
                    I think in that scenario, the average baseball fan in Miami will have a very hard time rooting for them beyond the bandwagon september playoff push because becoming emotionally invested with the team (someone in this thread has said "you take sports way to seriously," but the entire concept of sports is based on the emotional attachment to rooting for something. This matters. The Marlins need people to take them way to seriously) is so fucking difficult when the franchise has been bombed in 1998, 2005, and 2013. Yes I know we can't blame Loria for the first one, but the average fan just sees ownership tearing it apart.

Why root for something if you are just going to get shit on? What has this ownership done to prove otherwise? They have to stop the pattern to start creating FANS and not make baseball a novelty act. It will take this ownership seasons and seasons of not being dickheads to garner any sort of trust, and I'm not sure they could ever cease being dickheads nor could ever win this city over after what they did this last offseason. They are going to field the lowest payroll in baseball, and it won't be close, 2nd year in a new mostly publicly funded stadium in a nearly bankrupt city after they promised "league average" payrolls and operating like a real franchise. That's the fucking point of building a stadium. I mean, I don't blame them for swindling Miami, applaud them for business and politically negotiating a good deal, but the fact they are tanking the team immediately is criminal. It's a slap in the face to everyone. They have done nothing to earn any credibility or respect, and yes I think that lack of trust in who is operating the team is going to have an enormous enormous effect on attendance and fanships.

Record low attendance coming, and will continue to come with this ownership. It's going to be an embarrassment.
                    --------------------
                    Sorry forgot something - CLOWNS
                    Last edited by lou; 02-07-2013, 04:18 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                      (someone in this thread has said "you take sports way to seriously," but the entire concept of sports is based on the emotional attachment to rooting for something...)
                      Well, the context in which it was said doesn't matter, I guess.
                      poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                        Well, the context in which it was said doesn't matter, I guess.
                        Wasn't meant to refer to the context or call anyone out, just thought it was applicable to the thought.

Comment

• Originally posted by oakelmpine View Post
                          And I don't get that people don't understand my hate for Loria. Some here seem to just want to shrug their shoulders at what he has done.

Just to let you all know, I am pissed at him, and I will not let it go. Not today, not tomorrow, and not even if they win a championship in the next 4 or 5 years (yeah like that will happen). He needs to go, and that is the bottom line.
                          This. This fucking right here. Everyone understands your hate for Loria and no one here (NO ONE) is shrugging their shoulders at what he's done. We all want him gone, one way or another.

But not every thread has to turn into a Loria bitch fest. I hope once pitchers and catchers report, we can start talking about who is in "the best shape of their life", but I have a feeling all the threads will end the same way.
                          --------------------
                          Originally posted by oakelmpine View Post
                          Winning usually translates into contract demands from players. Not always, but it does a lot of the time. Loria we know, will not stand for that, and that means players leave.
                          like Mainge said, MLB has certain rules in place where players can't demand anything.
                          --------------------
                          Originally posted by oakelmpine View Post
                          But isn't it a shame that because of the owner, that's what we spend our time doing ?

Instead of discussing the team, what can happen this season, who could we pick up to make the team better, what we are looking forward to seeing this season, we have to be wasting time on this crappy thread ?
                          It's Feb 7th. Even if we kept everyone, there wouldn't be much to talk about baseball wise.
                          Last edited by Ramp; 02-07-2013, 04:28 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                            Wasn't meant to refer to the context or call anyone out, just thought it was applicable to the thought.
                            But it's totally fine to be upset about the team. Having that emotional attachment is fine; to a point.

Certain people take it too far, however.
                            poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd View Post
                              The vague predictions of Loria owning the team until he passes and then it passing into the hands of Samson, I will admit...I find utterly terrifying.
                              I find them sort of unbelievable because where does Samson have the money to do that ? Doesn't Loria have full daughters that will inherit his wealth ? Samson might get a share but unless his mother has more than I know of, where will his wealth come from and will it be enough to even afford as much as Loria does ? How will he be able to sustain if he is losing money as he claims ?

Comment

• Samson stands to inherit much from his wealthy mother.
                                Noah Perio
                                Jupiter
                                39 AB
                                15 H
                                0 2B
                                0 3B
                                0 HR
                                0 BB
                                .385/.385/.385

Comment

Working...
                                X