Loria Refusing Overtures to Buy Team from Big Names, Including Jeb Bush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
    I will tone it down and apologize for the bat-shitiness I've caused lately. Part of my frustration is this site is so nitpicky sometimes. The other day you posted a fun fact and someone asked you what was fun about it. COME THE F ON.
    This was me and I either missed the point of his post or missed a post prior to it to know why the fact Dizzy Dean and Walter Johnson were 23 years apart mattered. So I asked why it was a fun fact. Figured doing that instead of shitting all over a post I didn't understand was the better thing to do.

Comment

• To use a real-life analogy. What makes you stick with a cheating girlfriend, especially if the sex is mediocre and she's kind of ugly and certainly brings little to the table to enhance your life? Out of fear you won't find something else? It's stupid.
      Well, I think that's a horrible analogy because it's fucking sports.

I like watching baseball. I don't like any of the other 29 teams. That's basically the end of it for me.

I enjoy when my teams win. When they lose, I generally shrug and move on with my day/night (I didn't used to be this way when I was younger). My happiness in life isn't hurt any when the Marlins are bad.

I'm honestly not trying to do that horrible thing bobbob does where he makes fun of people for liking sports too much even though he's paid to write about sports, but the Marlins have zero impact on my own self-worth.

I like baseball. I'm gonna watch the Marlins play baseball. That's really the end of it for me.

I'm gonna drive to Cincinnati and watch them play this season. And I'll have fun doing it. And if they lose, it'll probably still be fun.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fish Tank Frenzy View Post
        What I don't get is how anyone can 'like' or want Loria to be the owner of this team or acknowledge that if Loria is not owner of this team, it instantly becomes a better franchise.
        This is my point though. No one here has ever said they like Loria as an owner. No one here has ever said the team is better off with Loria as an owner than with another owner with deeper pockets and a bigger commitment to build a fan base. This is an alternate reality that some people on this board have created, but in truth, NO ONE here has ever said these things.

Like I said, I despise Loria, and like you said, I'll support them the best I can. We all will. But that "best" manifests itself in different ways for different people. For me, that "best" is following online and watching an occasional game if it's on. It's also following our minor league system because I love MiLB and following the draft because I love college baseball. But as Daft said:

But right now, I'm not a fan of the Marlins. Maybe they'll be a .500 team in June and I'll start rooting for them but for now, no.
        I'm not a fan of the Marlins right now not JUST because of Loria, but also because the team is going to suck and I don't have that much to get excited about. In 2006 I was pretty stoked about Hanley, Uggla had a cool name/cool story, JJ was finally getting to the bigs, etc. so I was excited. I'm not excited about this team in any way and THAT'S why I won't be watching, the same way I didn't watch the second half of 2005. We all know that if Loria traded Stanton to the Rangers for Olt/Profar/Perez/++, then turned around this offseason and spent the money on signing Hamilton and Greinke, we'd ALL be watching, DESPITE our despising the man, because THE TEAM WOULD BE INTERESTING AND IN THE END WE ALL LIKE BASEBALL.

By the same token, if Loria decimated our beloved team, then said "Oh by the way I'm selling," some of us might be watching more in the hopes that the new owner invested, made things interesting, etc etc. In the end it's a combination of BOTH things. The team sucks, the owner is atrocious. If both those things didn't coexist, the feelings wouldn't be as strong.
        Originally posted by Madman81
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugg View Post

I like watching baseball. I don't like any of the other 29 teams. That's basically the end of it for me.

I enjoy when my teams win. When they lose, I generally shrug and move on with my day/night (I didn't used to be this way when I was younger). My happiness in life isn't hurt any when the Marlins are bad.

I'm honestly not trying to do that horrible thing bobbob does where he makes fun of people for liking sports too much even though he's paid to write about sports, but the Marlins have zero impact on my own self-worth.

I like baseball. I'm gonna watch the Marlins play baseball. That's really the end of it for me.

I'm gonna drive to Cincinnati and watch them play this season. And I'll have fun doing it. And if they lose, it'll probably still be fun.
          It's a horrible analogy. I'm not afraid to be a Mets or Yankees or Royals fan. just don't want to be. I'd love to have an attachment to either NY based team (well not really the Mets, but ya know). I could go to games and watch them in stunning, gorgeous HD every night. But I don't care about those teams. I wish I had a sudden attachment to the new Blue Jays, but I really don't care about them. Same goes for Mike Trout and his Angels. I would love nothing more than to have a Fathead of Arte Moreno in my apartment.

Pretty much everything else that Hugg said too. See ya at the Reds game.

Comment

• And like how you said "best" manifest itself in different ways to different people, I think "interesting" does as well.

I legitimately can't wait for spring training/season to start. I think this team is going to be very, very interesting. I love young teams with zero expectations. It takes my above post to an even higher level. Fun when they win, whatever when they lose. It's a no-lose season to me. I can pretty much guarantee I'll watch an inning of Marlins baseball after July 15 this season and I didn't do that last year.

Comment

no one does

we all know this

sounds about right, I'm not sure who is blindly supporting Loria and crew
              --------------------

this post (minus the stuff directly at Daft) should be put at the top of the Marlins forum and left there for a while
              I agree there is no guarantee the Marlins will be better off with another owner. But I doubt anyone would treat the fan base with such impudence as does this owner. That is what hurts so much. He really doesn't give a flying fuck what the fans think. He treats his customers with outright disdain. If he really cared about the future of the team he wouldn't have been so disrespectful towards them.

This is why I cling to the hope that he is setting the team up for sale in 2014. Please God, let that happen.

Comment

• I do think my sheer level of disgust with last year's team is part of why I got over it all so fast (and I was quite angry when it initially happened). God I fucking hated last year's team.

Comment

I do think my sheer level of disgust with last year's team is part of why I got over it all so fast (and I was quite angry when it initially happened). God I fucking hated last year's team.
                  Amazing how that happens, ya know. Don't think I watch 9 innings combined after mid July. That team was horrible to watch and beyond frustrating.

Comment

I do think my sheer level of disgust with last year's team is part of why I got over it all so fast (and I was quite angry when it initially happened). God I fucking hated last year's team.
                    Well I hated the way they played. I didn't hate the team (except for Bell, he is totally an asshole).

Comment

• That fucking Lo Viste shit.

Nothing like a guy doing a stupid hand gesture after a double when you're losing 5-1 in the 7th.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swifty View Post
                        I'd love to turn this into a thread about second guessing Loria's tenure here, but I think, even with a new/better owner bad things could have happened.
                        This is the key, if the owner TRIES I can support him. Loria is trying to make the most profit, and not seeing the full picture, which is you can make a profit and not be an asshole owner.

Ross is at least trying with the Dolphins and I give him credit there and support his ownership. Do I think he is clueless, yes, but is he trying YES, YES and YES. So despite the lack of winning on the field, I remain a fiercely loyal and interested DolFan. Do I own season tickets anylonger ? No, I gave them up after 34 years after the 2010 season for a number of reasons, 1st and foremost was my age and not wanting to sit in the hot sun any longer. I can enjoy myself more at home with a bathroom and fridge within 30 feet of my lazyboy & 60 inch HD TV. My wife no longer wanted to go to the games, and neither did my son & grandchildren want to make the trek from Orlando for every home game. They did it for 4 years and if the team wasn't very exciting (and let's face it the Dolphins had become boring & bad) they didn't want to go. I also have problems with the way the team is being run, and the only way to get that message across is to no longer be a ST holder. That message was loud and clear to the management since I got a phone call from one of the senior Vice Presidents about my non-renewal. I am buying tickets for this year.

Bottom line is they care.

Comment

I love watching baseball. Just because I'm from Florida doesn't mean I have to watch the Marlins exclusively. If there's such a disconnect between what I find enjoyable and what the home team does, I don't see anything wrong with just becoming a fan of the sport.

Then again, maybe I'm different, I don't need a vested interest in the game to be able to enjoy it. Other sports, sure, but not baseball.

Comment

• And that's fine. Everyone's different.

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                              dude broke the news about the new uniforms

but yes, you're right
                              Wasn't that Ace 77?

Comment

That fucking Lo Viste shit.

Nothing like a guy doing a stupid hand gesture after a double when you're losing 5-1 in the 7th.
                                I had hoped we would never speak of Lo Viste again.
                                Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                                Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                                Noah Perio
                                Jupiter
                                39 AB
                                15 H
                                0 2B
                                0 3B
                                0 HR
                                0 BB
                                .385/.385/.385

Comment

Working...
                                X