Loria Refusing Overtures to Buy Team from Big Names, Including Jeb Bush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Party View Post
    All that stuff is great, but things could have been a lot better. That is the frustration with being a Marlins fan.

The 2008 and 2009 teams were GREAT to watch. But Loria wanted to play poor so those teams never got the help they needed.
    Well, yeah.

But Oak would rather that they never happened because Loria is a shitty owner.
    --------------------
    Originally posted by Swifty View Post
    And this is why trading Hanley bothered me so much I swore off the team. Sometimes, franchises need to do things that show irrational connection, not constant turnover in the name of efficiency. You don't buy season tickets to watch Goldman Sachs do their thing.

At some point, act like a major league franchise. Give the fans something to hold onto and identify with, beyond just the team's colors. It's one thing to be Tampa and be so much better at what they do than everyone else because they have to, but for the mediocre franchises, it's not that hard to do one or two things because it's the "right" thing to do and not the smart thing to do. Give the fans something to hold onto because, in the lean years (which you're going to have a lot of as a mediocre franchise) that's what you're going to ask them to look to when they decide what they want to spend their entertainment dollars on.
    To be fair, the majority of Marlins fans liked trading Hanley because he was an asshole.
    Last edited by Mainge; 02-07-2013, 06:34 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• I had zero problem trading Hanley, and I genuinely liked him. He's not very good anymore.
      poop

Comment

• Hanley stopped being a good baseball player and infuriated most of the fan base. Why would it be prudent to keep him?

Comment

• For the reasons I outlined in a fairly wordy post. But, rush to snark, y'all.
          --------------------
          You don't think that the atmosphere around this team, and more specifically this offseason, would be drastically different if the Marlins/Loria had a history of doing the right thing rather than running a ruthless business where, quite frankly, it's impossible to lose money?

Boston had a more significant tear down dollar wise, yet the credibility they've bought allowed that to not just be ignored, but hailed as a brilliant move.

But, ya know, keep waiting for the Toronto savings to be reinvested. It's coming.
          Last edited by Swifty; 02-07-2013, 07:09 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• You mentioned that fans need something to hold on to. Thats fine; I agree with that sentiment. But, that point isnt applicable to Hanley. He wasn't a fan favorite. Most fans didn't want the team to hold on to him and were happy to see him go. His personality did not go well with his recent performance. Swagger does not go well with struggling.

Comment

• I wasn't being snarky, I really don't think he is good anymore.
              --------------------
              Originally posted by Swifty View Post
              But, ya know, keep waiting for the Toronto savings to be reinvested. It's coming.
              I like that you pooped your pants about other people being snarky (when they weren't) and then you built up this super awesome snarky strawman to knock down.

Last edited by Bobbob1313; 02-07-2013, 07:34 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
              poop

Comment

• Originally posted by nny View Post
                So, just saying, that whole "I'd rather Loria be gone instead of winning a championship" thing...

Wouldn't that just prove that dismembering an expensive 69 win team to go cheaper and younger was the right thing to do?

I mean, I'm not defending the trade. I hate the trade. People are going to misrepresent this as OMG LORIA LOVER SAYING HE SHOULD HAVE MADE THAT TRADE because that's what a couple people have been doing the past several months.

But if we were to win a championship, I don't see how you could fault Loria for the trade anymore. It would have been the right thing to do.

It would also set us up to be constant competitors due to the payroll room that the trade freed up and the low cost of the current players.

So I REALLY don't understand the whole "I'd rather Loria be gone than win a championship"
                If that happens, Loria would just be lucky. Lucky and evil...very evil.
                --------------------
                Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                I have had a lot of fun. We've won more games than 16 other teams since Loria's been an owner. We've had some really special players come through and we've won two fucking championships.

This wasn't fun?

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

Or this?

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

This?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OigcvfkX10Q

?

http://deadspin.com/5923463/hanley-r...-home-run-trot

?

Well, yeah, but who cares? Lucky.
                Last edited by Erick; 02-07-2013, 07:36 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                  I have had a lot of fun. We've won more games than 16 other teams since Loria's been an owner. We've had some really special players come through and we've won two fucking championships.

This wasn't fun?

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

Or this?

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

This?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OigcvfkX10Q

?

http://deadspin.com/5923463/hanley-r...-home-run-trot

?

So baseball teams that play 162 games a year have HIGHLIGHTS?

That CRRRRRRRRAAAZZZZZZZZZZZZYYYYYYYY, man!!!!

Comment

• Just so I'm not mistaken, you too wish the Marlins franchise didn't exist?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                      It's not close and you've turned into a moron overnight.
                      Name calling.

YAY!

Again, I believe there is an ignore function. Use it and you won't be exposed to the moron.
                      --------------------
                      Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                      Just so I'm not mistaken, you too wish the Marlins franchise didn't exist?
                      Never said anything of the sort.

See post about ignore function.
                      Last edited by Namaste; 02-07-2013, 08:09 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                        Never said anything of the sort.

See post about ignore function.
                        Okay, because that post was in response to a poster saying he wished the Marlins didn't exist because it's never fun.

So maybe read the fucking thread before you start responding to shit.
                        Last edited by Mainge; 02-07-2013, 08:11 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by Swifty View Post
                          That's the wild part. You've got a handful of guys here who are just too comfortable with getting shit on again by the owner of their favorite team.

I have said time and time again that I was very supportive of the Hanley trade. I applauded that baseball decision and would have even if he went to LA and tore it up.

I supported moving Anibal and was very vocal in my support about it when many Marlins fans were going into "LORIA FIRESALE LOLZ XZOMG" because Hanley and Anibal were gone.

But I'm tired of getting shit on.

Translation for CC: LORIA SUXCX

Comment

• Good fucking Lord

Comment

• I love when Mainge goes into forum captain/tough guy mode It's cute.

Mainge, call me a name. Something REALLY mean.

Comment

• Ugh. I'm just going to take Daft's advice.
                                poop

Comment

Working...
                                X