Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some random fella on Bleacher Report projected us to win 59 games
    --------------------
    This other fella on Yahoo picked us to go 72-90 and finish 2 games in front of the Mets.
    Last edited by HUGG; 01-04-2013, 08:09 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Well it is time I guess we either leave or get behind the team.

I've been a fan of the team from inception, so I guess I am staying with them.

Comment

Well, if you're still gonna be behind the Marlins, I've been told that would indicate that you loooooove Loria and every move the front office makes.

Apologist.

Did I do that right?

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
          I was referring to the idea that that team was somehow more well regarded heading into the season than this one. I do not think that will be true. That team was pretty widely expected to be putrid.

I'll admit that I didn't explain myself well enough, I guess?

But you're also misrepresenting what that guy said.
          Indeed the team was rated as putrid back then, however I think there was unwarranted venom (about the quality of the roster) coming from most media outlets following the second firesale most of which predicted a 100 loss season there or thereabouts. Hence why I was asking about some objective (or rather less subjective) predictions pre season for 06.

You are correct that I was rating the 06 team more highly than this team and was using 70 wins as just some warped measure of success. However I am not that shocked that the predictions were for that kind of number.

It may be revisionist but my chain of thought was that the 06 team actually had:
          • A number of prospects with at least a little MLB experience and and some SSS success (Jacobs, Hermida, Olsen, Vargas).
          • A guy who was guaranteed to hit in Willingham (or words to this effect from John Sickels at the time).
          • Guys with proven MLB track records - Willis & Cabrera
          • SS A top albeit stalled prospect in Hanley.
          • 2B was total unknown - Reese/Uggla (Uggla had just OPS'd 880 at AA - age 25 season)
          • CF was expected to be garbage - Reed/Reggie....
          • C Olivo

And with the help of Google oh dear...
          • SP - Willis, Mitre, Moehler, Vargas, Olsen
          • BP - Borowski, Herges, JJ, Nolasco, Wellemeyer, German etc.

I will admit, I forgot just how bad the initial starting rotation was, but at that time, Willis/Vargas/Olsen were supposed to be good. Also JJ, Nolasco and Anibal had all put up good AA numbers the previous year.

The bullpen was expected to be terrible.

How does that compare with this year:
          • C - Brantly - SSS success at MLB with good MiLB track record
          • 1B - Morrison - injury prone former top prospect - expected improvement
          • 2B - Solano - SSS success will not repeat
          • SS - Hechavarria - All glove poor hitting C+ level prospect
          • 3B - Polanco - Aging veteran with injury worries - poor previous season
          • LF - JP- Aging veteran - expected to OPS 650, hit, won't walk with crap defence
          • CF - Ruggiano - SSS success not expected to repeat
          • RF - Stanton - (equates to Cabrera - future HOF)
          • SP - Nolasco/Turner/Alvarez/Eovaldi/TBD (Leblanc/Hand/Sanabia)
          • RP - Cishek/Webb/Dunn/Ramos/Jennings
          • AA/AAA Prospects - None immediately available

Perhaps I was being a little revisionist, but then again I doubt this team can hit and the rotation is going to struggle with no top prospects proven above A+ ready to replace, in stark contrast to 06 with an initially poorer looking rotation but with a lot of depth in the upper minors. Our bullpen looks better than 06 and we have yet to fill out the last couple of spots.
          Last edited by Cambridge; 01-05-2013, 04:38 AM.

Comment

I think it's worth mentioning that the Marlins aren't the only people who think Hechavarria is better than a C+ level prospect. He's still pretty highly thought of by those who don't focus solely on stats. BA and Sickels both still think pretty highly of him.

Emphasizing that I'm not saying they're right, although I do think he's gonna be better than most here do.

I don't think they're gonna be very good. I do think they'll be much more interesting/entertaining than the last 3 months of last season were though.
            Last edited by HUGG; 01-05-2013, 04:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugg View Post
              Well, if you're still gonna be behind the Marlins, I've been told that would indicate that you loooooove Loria and every move the front office makes.

Apologist.

Did I do that right?
              Of course Loria is the bestest, most greatest owner in all of sports. He is my hero, and will lead us to our 3rd championship next year.

Go team ! Hoorah !

Comment

Working...
              X