No announcement yet.

Agent: Ricky Nolasco Wants Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@jaysonst: #Marlins are telling teams inquiring about Ricky Nolasco that they're not trading him, despite agent Matt Sosnick's remarks yesterday.
    Twitter

I don't get this fucking team. This must be something related to keeping Stanton.

Or maybe they want the market to build up.
    Last edited by Big Z; 12-04-2012, 08:22 AM.

Comment

No, it's that at some point 200ish innings, even 200 barely average innings, have value to a team that has zero in the way of high level arms. The rotation outside Nolasco is pretty bad, and the high minors aren't much better. Any team needs/values innings, the Marlins really need innings.

Comment

...and building his market wouldn't hurt

Comment

Well, if the rumblings are to be believed, Greinke's waiting for a 7th (LOL) year, Anibal wants $100 mil, and the Yankees are making Hughes very available. I'd imagine teams know that Ricky's out there and I don't think his market changes all that drastically since pitching's already through the roof. Long story short, the pitching's out there if you want it, it's just at an insanely high price.

I think the Marlins run the risk of letting the market fall if, for example the Angels get Anibal, Dodgers get Greinke and the Nats trade for Hughes. All of a sudden, the Marlins are left holding the bag. I know it sounds counter-intuitive but if the Marlins make it clear they'll pick up some of the Nolasco $ to make him an "underpaid" starter (assuming they can get a high level infield prospect and a low level SP prospect) it makes sense to get out in front of the market rather than let the pitcher merry-go-round play out.

Comment

I meant building his market of being a decent SP

Comment

if Nolasco were a free agent, he'd easily get a 1-2 year deal averaging $7 million. Maybe more ala Edwin Jackson with him playing for a contract. Hell Guthrie just got a 3 year deal.

Marlins should just eat $3-4 million (i.e. his fair market value) and take back a Brantly/Ozuna/Realmuto/Cox level prospect that's a pitcher, 2B, or 3B, and be done with it. Pretty soon Greinke, Anibal, Lohse, E. Jackson, and Marcum are gone and someone is going to need him. Or eat more money, who cares. Get the prospect.

Sign Pavano and $1 + incentives. Sign Lannan $1 + incentives. Rotation is filled, and more kids for 2015. Save over $5 million in the process (which account for 166,667 thousand people that won't show up!) yes there is a price for 200 innings, but innings are out there for cheaper than Nolasco.

If you are committed to sucking, then commit to sucking. Only Nolasco and Escobar left to go. You can do it Marlins. I believe in you in your commitment to sucking in 2013.

Comment

I read on rotoworld that the Marlins won't trade him due to potential backlash from the MLBPA.
                LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

which could all go away if they sign Stanton
                  Originally posted by Madman81
                  Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                  Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
                    I read on rotoworld that the Marlins won't trade him due to potential backlash from the MLBPA.
                    Correct,they wanna move him however teams are not willing to trade prospects AND pay his contract. Reports are MLB has said they will not approve any trade that involves us sendng cash to cover his contract

If a team(Minn/KC) does miss out on FA then we could see him dealt but as of right now they can't

What Lou said is what they wanna do,trade him for prospects and then sign a Pavano/Karstens/vet arm who can eat innings to a 1 year deal

Comment

Do the Rangers need a starting pitcher?

Ricky Nolasco (bad contract, one year remaining) for Michael Young (bad contract, one year remaining)??

Texas has no need for Michael Young at all. I don't know exactly what their rotation looks like but Nolasco could eat up innings for them (although I'm guessing he wouldn't be all that good in Texas); either way, Nolan Ryan likes pitchers who go deep into games and Nolasco is a cheaper alternative to other FA starters.

For the Marlins, take away Nolasco to give a younger guy a shot or sign a cheap vet who would probably do something similar.
                      Young is, according to everyone involved in the game, a great leader which I'm guessing has some sort of value to a young team like ours. Purely a stopgap. Can play 3B or can play 2B if they fix 3B externally via free agency for a year. Upgrade on the field, leadership off the field. Contract is irrelevant; it expires after the year and they'll have the money for '14 which apparently is when they plan on being good again.

This would be a way of getting rid of Nolasco and have it not be a salary dump. They're going to get garbage for Nolasco anyway if they trade him so this is probably as good as it gets from a baseball standpoint, as well.

JMO

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                        Do the Rangers need a starting pitcher?

Ricky Nolasco (bad contract, one year remaining) for Michael Young (bad contract, one year remaining)??

Texas has no need for Michael Young at all. I don't know exactly what their rotation looks like but Nolasco could eat up innings for them (although I'm guessing he wouldn't be all that good in Texas); either way, Nolan Ryan likes pitchers who go deep into games and Nolasco is a cheaper alternative to other FA starters.

For the Marlins, take away Nolasco to give a younger guy a shot or sign a cheap vet who would probably do something similar.
                        Young is, according to everyone involved in the game, a great leader which I'm guessing has some sort of value to a young team like ours. Purely a stopgap. Can play 3B or can play 2B if they fix 3B externally via free agency for a year. Upgrade on the field, leadership off the field. Contract is irrelevant; it expires after the year and they'll have the money for '14 which apparently is when they plan on being good again.

This would be a way of getting rid of Nolasco and have it not be a salary dump. They're going to get garbage for Nolasco anyway if they trade him so this is probably as good as it gets from a baseball standpoint, as well.

JMO
                        Ya but Texas is looking for #1/#2 starters not #4/#5 ones

Comment

Wouldn't it be more of a salary dump if they sent Nolasco somewhere and didn't pay part of his contract? I don't get how it would be okay to trade him for prospects without sending cash, but it isn't okay to trade him for prospects and send cash to the other team. Can someone clear this up for me?

Hasn't the knock on the Marlins been they aren't willing to add cash to a deal in order to get better prospects (as was rumored with the Hanley situation)?

Comment

I think it's more that if the Marlins don't send cash, the deal doesn't have to get approved by Selig. Selig is fully aware that the Jays trade pissed off the fan base and won't let the Marlins do anymore if he has a say in it. At least, not this year. If the Marlins found a team that would pay all his salary, they could trade him for a cheese puff and Selig would not be able to stop it.
                            Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 12-04-2012, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by THE_REAL_MIBS View Post
                              I think it's more that if the Marlins don't send cash, the deal doesn't have to get approved by Selig. Selig is fully aware that the Jays trade pissed off the fan base and won't let the Marlins do anymore if he has a day in it. At least, not this year. If the Marlins found a team that would pay all his salary, they could trade him for a cheese puff and Selig would not be able to stop it.
                              Pretty much this,the issue is no team would pay the 11 million AND give a cheese puff for him

They would want money in the deal(MLB would say NO)and if we send money would want a prospect or 2 in return(Team would say NO)

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                                Ya but Texas is looking for #1/#2 starters not #4/#5 ones
                                Well, yeah.

However, they're not going to find a #1 unless they get Grienke (I guess the market values him as a #1; I'm not even sure he's that, to be fair).

That leaves an overpaid Anibal and guys like Edwin Jackson, Kyle Lohse, Brandon McCarthy. It's not a great market.

They could trade for a Shields but he's going to cost a lot in terms of prospects.

Just saying, Nolasco could fill a need in the rotation and they could get rid of Young's salary which they absolutely do not need at all. Not saying it's a rumor or should be a rumor but I think it could make some sense if Texas doesn't get the "#1/2" they want in the next week or so.

Comment

Working...
                                X