Winter Meetings 2012 (Miami Marlins)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Erick View Post
    I hope that "interested in a reliever for 2-3 years at 5-7 million" thing is not true.
    There are 2 or 3 RP spots open

Looking for 1 veteran RP at about 2-2.5 mil a season to fill 1 spot and the other one will be between Hatcher/Reed/Ramos/Caminero/Ceda/whatever other guy they give a minor league invite to

As for the SP they aren't really looking for one until they know what is going on with Nolasco,they rotation for 2013 right now is

Nolasco
    Alvarez
    Turner
    Eovaldi
    LeBlanc/Hand/Koehler

With LeBlanc going to the pen as well

The priority seems to be try to trade Nolasco and Escobar(as a SS) for younger 2014 ready guys and then if needed sign a veteran innings eater to replace him.

They also want to find a 2B/UT type to battle with Solano,the winner gets the 2B job and the other would be the UT man

Comment

if they traded nolasco and escobar, this hypothetical $2-2.5 million a year reliever you speak of is the highest paid player on the team.

Comment

Isn't Jeff Mathis making $2.5 million?
        LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Marlins in trade talks with two teams about Escobar.

Comment

Originally posted by @Ken_Rosenthal
            Sources: #Rays pursuing #Marlins’ Escobar to be everyday shortstop. #Athletics also could be in play.

Comment

Lets throw out a bunch of names we could never get for Escobar!

I HOPE IT'S BEN ZOBRIST

Comment

Originally posted by Hugg View Post
                Lets throw out a bunch of names we could never get for Escobar!

I HOPE IT'S BEN ZOBRIST
                There were Braves fans tweeting Nightengale asking if the Braves are trying to trade for Escobar to then trade him to Arizona for Justin Upton.

Comment

Lee Hak-ju!
                  Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                    There were Braves fans tweeting Nightengale asking if the Braves are trying to trade for Escobar to then trade him to Arizona for Justin Upton.
                    I saw that. Upton for Escobar seems legit.

Braves fans.
                    --------------------
                    I'm sure in their scenario they're getting Escobar from Miami for some A ball guy no one's ever heard of and then trading him to Arizona for Upton straight up.

That's how baseball works, you guys.
                    Last edited by HUGG; 12-03-2012, 06:35 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

A lot of pitching on Rays and Oak, could make Escobar a nice chip to trade since he has 3 years of control and only this year is guaranteed. Maybe the Marlins go all in on a top top SP prospect and throw Morrison in (and get another 1-2 guys too). Could be interesting. They'd both love Morrison and I don't think the Marlins would get ripped off for him with those teams.

As for Nolasco, duh

Comment

They'll probably just get a cost-controlled reliever for Escobar.

Comment

I'd be sad if we traded Escobar

He has such an amazing contract and is still a good player even when he isn't hitting well.

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post

Prepare for sadness.

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post

He has such an amazing contract and is still a good player even when he isn't hitting well.
                              I would agree with you if they weren't planning on tanking 13-14.

They need guys they control all of 2015-2018

Comment

I don't get the Escobar thing either.

They could just trade him in July and probably get more in return because he's not as bad as last year's offensive #'s indicate.

He's not overpaid. You'd think he's the type of player the Marlins would like at this point. If he plays well, the Cuban community always complaining that the team has no Cubans might like the idea that the left side of our infield is Cuban so there's also that.

Seriously though, it's rather ridiculous. Just keep him for now; I'd much rather have him over some middle reliever.
                                --------------------
                                Originally posted by lou View Post
                                I would agree with you if they weren't planning on tanking 13-14.

They need guys they control all of 2015-2018
                                He could be one of those "July assets" you were talking about earlier. Teams are always going to need SS/3B type players so it's not as if we really have to trade him right now.
                                Last edited by Erick; 12-03-2012, 07:31 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Working...
                                X