Anatomy of the 12-player Blue Jays-Marlins Trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
    I'm more upset by the fact that we have Mathis for two more years. I thought it was only 1 more year.
    Dude this is the Marlins, he may not be with the team by next week. Don't sweat it.

Comment

It seems like tjfla was maybe right? Didn't he say JJ's value was Hechevarria/Nicolino? Kinda seems like his breakdown was maybe correct.

The Jeff Mathis thing is hilarious. Not only that the Marlins wanted him so bad but also the fact that the Blue Jays did not want to trade him. The Blue Jays could've potentially not landed Reyes, JJ and Buehrle because they didn't want to give up Jeff Mathis.
      --------------------
      Originally posted by oakelmpine View Post
      Dude this is the Marlins, he may not be with the team by next week. Don't sweat it.
      That would be great.
      Last edited by Erick; 11-30-2012, 04:05 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

No mention of D'arnaud, who was supposed to be added and then somehow got pulled out after Reyes was added.

Comment

Well, yeah.

But it seems like the way the Marlins valued the players involved in the trade/the chronological order in which everything happened is rather consistent with what he said.

I personally feel like he says some silly things at times (like the d'Arnaud thing), but this makes it seem as though he probably does have a source because it's very similar to what he said was happening.

By the way, I think it's disappointing that the Marlins never asked for d'Arnaud if this article is accurate. Even if he's off-limits, they should've still initially asked. It's like they're operating under the "we have Brantly so who needs another catcher" mentality.

Furthermore, it seems like we wanted two of "the Lansing kids" but somehow only settled for one? How/why did that happen? Because of Jeff Mathis?

Comment

Oh I think he has a source for sure. I just think there's a lot of wrong with the right.

Comment

I'm sure Larry's got a quick trigger for more than just trades.

Comment

cuz he probably suffers from erectile dysfunction?
                poop

Comment

No, because he likes Bonaroo.

Comment

Good for the brand.
                    poop

Comment

I would think if you were going to trade your team's entire core, you would at least shop around a bit instead of having "I need to trade away all these players as soon as possible" attitude.
                      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

It's possible that he/the scouts just really liked all these players they got back via trade. The organization had the Blue Jays system ranked as a top-3 system.

Comment

To be fair, if we're going to take that quote in this somewhat unbelievable story and run with it, shouldn't we also not ignore the part about him knowing what he wants? Perhaps he moved quickly because he knew exactly what he wanted and was able to get it.

Comment

But doesn't a prudent negotiator try to get more than just what they want?

Knowing exactly what you want is a very good thing. Not getting maximum value is not.

Comment

At first I was writing that it'd still be incredibly silly to not perform some sort of market check to ensure you aren't doing as well as you possibly can, but I figured it's a given and have a hard time believing things in that article.

Comment

Working...
                              X