Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Marlins Pitcher’s Charity Camp in Jeopardy Because of Anti-Marlins Backlash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Marlins Pitcher’s Charity Camp in Jeopardy Because of Anti-Marlins Backlash?

by Joe Capozzi
    Marlins pitcher Tom Koehler is the first to admit that he’s not exactly a household name among South Florida baseball fans. He has eight appearances under his belt after a call-up from the minors in September.

Maybe that’s one reason just five people have signed up for “Pitch for Relief,” a charity baseball camp that Koehler hopes to put on Saturday at Marlins Park to raise money for victims of Superstorm Sandy.

Maybe local residents are still having a tough time in the slow economy and can’t afford the $50 camp fee.

Or maybe they’re so angry at the Marlins front office over the team’s latest sell-off of players that they’re boycotting anything Marlins-related – even if it’s a charity event to help others in need.

Unless the camp gets 15 more registrants in the next day or two, Koehler said he will probably have to cancel the event.

“I’m sure there’s lot of reasons for it. It could be the economy. Or maybe I’m not a high enough profile player,’’ said Koehler, 26, a Bronx native with relatives and friends living on Long Island.

“Maybe people are a little frustrated with what went on with the trade. But people got to understand business is business and one thing has nothing to do with the other.’’

Koehler is well aware of the backlash in South Florida since the Marlins traded away Jose Reyes, Josh Johnson and Mark Buehrle as part of a 12-player deal with Toronto.

If that’s why fans are reluctant to sign up for the camp, he said he hopes they can step back and realize they have a chance to help people in need.
    “This camp is something that’s going to do good for a lot of people. It has the potential to help out many people,’’ Koehler said.

“I just hope that the anger and protest and some other stuff that went on down in Miami, I hope that the anger people are feeling right now, they’re not letting their emotions hinder themselves from giving something back.’’

The registration fee includes instruction from new Marlins outfielder Juan Pierre, pitchers Brad Hand and Alex Sanabia and retired All Star Jeff Conine.
    Proceeds will go to the United Way’s Hurricane Sandy Relief Fund.

Koehler also is coordinating a charity baseball camp Saturday at Stony Brook University in New York, where he pitched four years before the Marlins drafted him.

That camp’s registration is doing much better. Koehler said there’s no possibility of canceling that camp, which will feature Washington Nationals relief pitcher Cole Kimball.

Koehler said he should know by Thursday if the Marlins Park camp will go on as planned. The original camp was designed for kids 9-18 years old. That has been expanded to kids as young as 5.

“If we can get 20 people, we will put it on. We have a lot of (volunteers) showing up, so I just don’t feel it’s right for them to come out if there’s only five kids there,’’ Koehler said.

”It’s a great opportunity. For $50 you get to have you kids run on the major league field, get instruction from people they may never get an opportunity to meet again. And while they’re doing it they’re helping the people who really need (assistance).’’

Again, Koehler said he doesn’t know exactly why the Marlins Park registration has been so slow. He hopes it’s not backlash from angry Marlins fans.

“I don’t know if people are really that aggravated that they’re going to take it to that extent. It’s a shame if they are. But people have a right to be angry. If they feel like this is how they want to handle it, so be it,’’ he said.

“Hopefully people realize they have an opportunity to do something really good for a lot of people. There are people up in the northeast, it’s winter now, so it’s cold and they’re still without power. It’s tough.’’

Koehler has tried to spread word of his camp via Twitter. The Marlins have posted ads on their web site and sent emails to area school and Little League baseball teams.

“Hopefully it’s not too late,’’ Koehler said, “because it would be a shame (f the camp is canceled). I’ll have to figure out what to do with 250 T shirts.’’

Marlins outfielder Logan Morrison will hold his third annual LoMo Camp for a Cure for Jan. 12-13 at the ELEV8 Sports Institute in Delray Beach.

That camp, which raises money for the American Lung Association, attracted 60 participants last year. Morrison is hoping for at least 100 in January.

Fred Wray, Morrison’s agent, said the LoMo Camp for a Cure registration usually picks up in the final week before the event. If there’s any Marlins fan backlash, Wray said, he is not aware of it affecting Morrison’s camp.
    Palm Beach Post

Now, I'm not sure why this camp isn't really selling. Like most things in life, it's likely a combination of different things. However, the fact that backlash against the team is even a storyline considered as possible for this may indicate how long this sentiment will linger over the team. We could be in for a season's worth of discussion over what transpired in the offseason. If that's the case, I welcome it, because it can only be considered a good thing for fans in my opinion.

We'll have another data point in January when LoMo's camp comes up, even though that's not in Miami.
    God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
    - Daft

If there’s any Marlins fan backlash, Wray said, he is not aware of it affecting Morrison’s camp.
    I like this.
    poop

Comment

It is a shame, but the fans are angry. I hope this is opening some eyes in the Marlins FO. I doubt it, but maybe they do have some feelings.

Comment

"This" being a thing that is maybe happening but probably not?
        poop

Comment

This meaning that fans don't want to go to Tom Koehler camp.

But he means "this" as in the fans are boycotting and angry and sad.

Comment

I searched for results on turnout, nothing yet
            God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
            - Daft

Comment

There are pictures on twitter from Koehler, Hand and Sanabia from the camp.
              LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

they were the only ones there!!!1 AHEHAHE MARLINS FANS HATE LORIA

/reverse daft

Comment

Got heeeem.
                  This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

Working...
                  X