X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jennings Says Marlins May Have to Reconsider Policy on No Trade Clauses

Dan Jennings:
    I think we'll have to look at our policy of granting no-trade [clauses]
    Hear the rest of it here: http://siriusxmsports.posterous.com/...istant-general
    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

he gon be fired now
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Stop whining about no trade clauses, Dan.

Comment

I get that you're thinging, but it doesn't appear he is whining.

Comment

Interesting that someone would even mention that. Hopefully this is a sign of some organizational shift, though I won't be getting my hopes up.
          God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
          - Daft

Comment

Need context on that quote

In an appearance on MLB Network Radio on SiriusXM's Inside Pitch show, Marlins assistant GM Dan Jennings told hosts Jim Bowden and Casey Stern that the club's standing with both Major League and minor league free agents has changed in the wake of the controversial trade with the Blue Jays and the accusations of broken promises from Mark Buehrle. "We know that that is an issue. It's out there," Jennings said. "We probably will have to look at our policy of [not] granting no-trades, if it's something that we look to remove, [or] do you look to put more money on the front end [of contracts]? I think there's a lot of ways to address that."
            http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...e-5-draft.html

Comment

Personally, I really like the club's policy of not giving no trade clauses. That's something I hope they don't compromise on.

Comment

That would be a good policy if they went through on completing long term contracts. They will either have to front load contracts or agree to pay taxes if a player is traded to a less favorable tax environment.

Comment

They are going to have to do something to lure a premier free agent and restore confidence to the players. This shouldn't be a firm policy, some guys warrant it some don't. I'd only have given one to Reyes last 5 years. I don't think arbitration buyouts or normal FA (Buerhle, Bell) deserve this protection. As for Stanton, normally I would say no, but if they do intend to sign him they should buy themselves some good graces and offer him a limited 8-10 teams.

Comment

3. The Miami Marlins will sign a free agent and give him a full-no trade clause

The Marlins’ trades of Buehrle, Reyes and Bell this offseason have left agents with such a bad taste in their mouths that many of them are saying they won’t even talk to the Marlins on behalf of their clients. Interestingly, a year ago, the Marlins all but had Albert Pujols signed, but their refusal to include a no-trade clause allowed him to make the right choice and sign with the Angels. If he had signed with the Marlins, he probably would be with the Toronto Blue Jays today. The Marlins are under scrutiny from the commissioner’s office and the players' association to spend rather than pocketing what look to be significant revenue-sharing gains the next few years. The Marlins need to step up and surprise baseball by adding a significant free agent and will have no choice this time but to change their policy and give a full no-trade clause so players they sign won’t have to worry about being dealt in a year.
                    http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/b...office&id=5450

Yea, not happening Bowden. Who even makes sense for this team? They'd have to sign someone for 5 years so they could at least get maybe 2-3 years out of them when they "might" be a contender again. I can't see them signing Greinke, Bourn, Hamilton, or Anibal who are probably the only 4 FA out there worth a contract that long. Maybe next year.
                    --------------------
                    You know who they should give a limited 10 team no trade clause too - Stanton. That's the guy to so this with Bowden. Not a free agent.
                    Last edited by lou; 12-01-2012, 08:33 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Samson said on Wednesday that they won't be pursuing high priced FA's.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                        Samson said on Wednesday that they won't be pursuing high priced FA's.
                        Beinfest said it, too. Recent article on the Marlins website says payroll is expected to be around $40 million.

Comment

The Indians non-tendered Chris Seddon. We can go get him and sign him to a long term deal!

Comment

Good, we need some trade bait.

Comment

An article in the herald mentioned that the Marlins have talked to the agents for both Jeff Keppinger and Ryan Raburn.

I would not mind Keppinger at 3B, Escobar at SS and Hecheverria at 2B. That would be decent. Then you have Solano off the bench spot starting in the INF/OF, Dobbs and maybe Raburn as well as Mathis.

Comment

Working...
                              X