Better Defensively

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better Defensively

For the sake of saying something optimistic about the team...

We have a bunch of young pitchers who throw strikes and a good defensive team behind them.

The Marlins, for years, have been really bad at certain spots, defensively. We've been consistently terrible at 3B, for example. Escobar, assuming he stays, is an upgrade over years past.

Hechevarria is apparently a stud, defensively.

In the outfield, we're no longer forcing infielders to learn how to play the outfield. Ruggiano is a fine CF'er and an upgrade over years trying to see if guys like Coghlan and Bonifacio could handle the position.

Pierre isn't a + anymore out there, but anyone is better than Morrison.

With the young pitchers we have, this should help their development.

Even coming through the system, Marisnick projects to be a + in CF, Yelich will probably be a + in LF considering he's proven to be capable/athletic enough to handle CF, himself.

Maybe the front office is trying to really improve defensively this time instead of just saying they take pride in building teams around pitching/defense?

Even with the recent swap of crappy, overpaid catchers, they took on the better defensive catcher in Mathis. Dating back to last year, they acquired Gorkys Hernandez.

While some of these guys are unlikely to ever hit, it's nice to see the organization improving, defensively. I feel like it's played a part in our losing over the past couple of years.
    Last edited by Erick; 11-17-2012, 11:18 PM.

Originally posted by Erick View Post
    Maybe the front office is trying to really improve defensively this time instead of just saying they take pride in building teams around pitching/defense?
    I think what they were really trying to do was to be a bunch of cheap fucks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Well, yeah.

But they still have to put a team together so it's reasonable to assume the people making baseball decisions are acquiring different types of players this time.

It's different from the days we had Jacobs, Uggla, Cantu in the infield or Coghlan/Morrison in the outfield.

Team is more athletic this time, no? And that is important for young pitchers.

Just trying to say something nice about the team.

Comment

Don't bother, any time anyone tries to talk about the team now people just come in and make jokes about them being cheap that are not sanctioned by either me or bobbob.

It's why this place is the worst.

Anyway, yeah, we potentially could be very good defensively.

Comment

Who cares, Loria will just sell hits to the other team for pennies
          --------------------
          brad pennies
          Last edited by Beef; 11-17-2012, 11:32 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

And then buy paintings of red pandas.
            --------------------
            Also, gonna draw less than 1 million fans.

Cause they're clowns.
            Last edited by HUGG; 11-17-2012, 11:33 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

The question will be if they can put runs on the board. Theres no telling how good Juan Pierre will be or Ruggiano will be able to re-produce his #s from last year. Hechawhatever is apparently all glove and no bat and Escobar has been mediocre offensively throughout his career. Granted, Rob Brantly is awesome. Hopefully a move to 1B and the departure of Eduardo "SWING FOR THE FENCES!" Perez will be good for Morrison. Stanton will struggle to see pitches to hit.
              Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
              Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
              Noah Perio
              Jupiter
              39 AB
              15 H
              0 2B
              0 3B
              0 HR
              0 BB
              .385/.385/.385

Comment

They're gonna struggle to score for sure.

Of course, if history is any indicator (and it really isn't, but lets go with it), this team is never what they're supposed to be.

Comment

Did Eduardo say that or are we doing the thing where Todd says things that Todd says?

Comment

I agree that we're going to struggle to score.

Eduardo never said that though, but everyone hates Eduardo. I feel bad for Tino.

Comment

I don't think there's a liked hitting coach though.

Every fanbase hates their hitting coach. It's a thing.

Comment

Im pretty sure he said it.
                        Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                        Noah Perio
                        Jupiter
                        39 AB
                        15 H
                        0 2B
                        0 3B
                        0 HR
                        0 BB
                        .385/.385/.385

Comment

Originally posted by Hugg View Post
                          I don't think there's a liked hitting coach though.

Every fanbase hates their hitting coach. It's a thing.
                          That's true. If a guy strikes out, the hitting coach blowed it.

Comment

Erick,

http://bit.ly/QmdYea

the first 2 links sums it up

Comment

The lack of patience and not working counts has been their bane for the past several years.
                              Noah Perio
                              Jupiter
                              39 AB
                              15 H
                              0 2B
                              0 3B
                              0 HR
                              0 BB
                              .385/.385/.385

Comment

Working...
                              X