Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That means maybe!

Comment

• Don't know if this was posted yet. Definitely not reading through several pages to find out. Some interesting comments to the article.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- It didn't take long to stir up emotions regarding Giancarlo Stanton and his status with the Marlins.

On the first day of the Winter Meetings at the Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center, a report surfaced that Stanton remains unhappy. Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com quoted Joel Wolfe, Stanton's agent, as saying: "It wasn't a reaction. It was a state of mind."

Wolfe declined to say if the 23-year-old has asked to be traded.

Stanton made his feelings known that he questioned the Marlins' direction after the team completed a 12-player trade with the Blue Jays two weeks ago. By dealing Josh Johnson, Mark Buehrle, Jose Reyes, Emilio Bonifacio and John Buck, Miami moved $160 million in salary.

Since the deal, the Marlins have had a couple of conversations with Wolfe. But they hadn't spoken to the agent regarding Monday's story. The Marlins understand they have some mending to do with Stanton.

"We've talked to the agent a few times," president of baseball operations Larry Beinfest said late Monday afternoon. "I'll keep those conversations private."

The Marlins have no intention of trading Stanton, who is coming off a 37-homer season. Stanton, who formerly went by the name Mike, is considered a building block for Miami. And the team is hoping emotions simmer by the time Spring Training begins in February.

"Yeah, I think you have to have some concern," Beinfest said. "Is it a grave concern? I know Mike is a professional. He's a great kid, and he's going to come to play."

The team is hopeful that when it is time to get into a baseball environment, around new teammates, Stanton will be ready to perform.

"I understand the disappointment and questions about the direction of the team," Beinfest said. "Those are understandable. I think we anticipated some of that. I have no doubt that Mike will get through it, be a professional. He's always behaved in that manner since Day 1.

"I don't know what Mike or Joel are saying. It's not an issue. We're not here to certainly stir up anything on that front at all. So if there are other things happening, and they're naturally happening, fine. It's not coming from us."

Beinfest didn't elaborate about any of his conversations with Wolfe, or say if Stanton has asked to be traded. The Marlins do anticipate being without Stanton for a few weeks in Spring Training. But that's because he is on a provisional list to play for the United States in the World Baseball Classic.

The Classic rosters will be set in mid-January. Miami has no problem with Stanton representing his country.

"We would definitely support it," Beinfest said.

Marlins manager Mike Redmond reached out to Stanton before Thanksgiving, and the conversation was productive.

"We had good communication. He's obviously a professional," Redmond said. "He understands what he means to this organization and this team. He's got a lot at stake. He knows he has to go out there and perform and have a big year.

"He's our cleanup hitter. I feel good in saying he's going to go out there and he's going to prepare himself to have a monster year. I'm excited to see him play and see what he can offer. He's going to be fine. He will be ready for Spring Training and be ready to go when the bell rings."

The Marlins began what was a dramatic remaking of their roster in July. In all, 12 players from the Opening Day roster have been traded, and Ozzie Guillen was dismissed as manager following a 69-93, last-place season.

"Going back to July, we said, 'You know what, we have so much invested here. Did we give it enough time?'" Beinfest said. "I understand the argument that maybe we didn't. I understand that it was 2 1/2, three months with that group. But there were zero signs that anything was going to happen. We just couldn't see, any of us, that it was going to catch fire and start clicking."

Along with moving players, the Marlins have cut payroll to roughly $40 million, after it was around $100 million to stat the 2012 season.

"Coupled with the payroll component, we said, 'You know what? We're not sure that if we stay as is that we're going to get where we need to go,'" Beinfest said. "We are one of those teams where, you're either ready to win or not. You're not like ready to finish .500. That's not really our goal. Either you think you're really ready to win or you're not ready to win. I'm not sure that anybody felt like we were really ready."

Joe Frisaro is a reporter for MLB.com. He writes a blog, called The Fish Pond. Follow him on Twitter @JoeFrisaro. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
      Last edited by MiamiHomer; 12-04-2012, 09:36 AM.

Comment

• jesus christ, clean that shit up

also, I hate reading anything Beinfest has to say.... he's up there in being the worst
        Last edited by Ramp; 12-04-2012, 09:15 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramp View Post
          jesus christ, clean that shit up
          No.
          --------------------
          You should see what it looked like before I cleaned it up
          Last edited by Namaste; 12-04-2012, 09:36 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• I see what you did there

bravo

Comment

• Beinfest still calls him Mike.
              LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
                Beinfest still calls him Mike.
                I noticed that too.

Okay I will defer to you guys. Like I said I don't know the ins and outs of baseball as well as some here. I know if I was a kid I would just hate it that the Marlins were after me if I want to be on a championship team. I know there is really no shot, not now, and not in the immediate future.

Everyone is saying 2014 or 2015 is the Marlins time. Okay maybe that is what they are shooting for.

But they absolutely have to find some key free agents to even come close to competing.

Could this team, as constituted now (and I ask this because I am not as savy as some here) really lose 100+ games ? Could it be that bad next year ? How will they be able to justify that if it happens ? They said the changes were to make the team better. Could MLB step in at that point, or rather would they ?

Comment

• Originally posted by oakelmpine View Post
                  I know if I was a kid I would just hate it that the Marlins were after me if I want to be on a championship team. I know there is really no shot, not now, and not in the immediate future.

Everyone is saying 2014 or 2015 is the Marlins time. Okay maybe that is what they are shooting for.

But they absolutely have to find some key free agents to even come close to competing.

Could this team, as constituted now (and I ask this because I am not as savy as some here) really lose 100+ games ? Could it be that bad next year ? How will they be able to justify that if it happens ? They said the changes were to make the team better. Could MLB step in at that point, or rather would they ?
                  If you were an 18 year old kid, you won't be up in the bigs for 3-4 years (at best, barring you being a phenom), so what do you care if the team is shitty right now?

If/when the Marlins lose 90+ next year, they won't have to justify anything. The MLB won't step in. There's no reason for them to step in.

Comment

• More than likely they are going to be as bad, if not worse, as this year. Then again, they could shock everyone and pull an Oakland or Baltimore like last year. The reason why I think that is unlikely is because the pitching is so young. Nolasco is the veteran. Alvarez has one year under his belt. The rest of the staff has one year or less. But then you could say "but Baltimore and Oakland had a shit ton of rookies." which is true. I just don't see it happening.

Comment

• No one out there should be comparing this team to Baltimore or Oakland of 2012. That's asking an awful lot to happen.

Comment

• For sure you'll likely get your hopes up. I don't see it happening, but you never know.

Comment

If you were an 18 year old kid, you won't be up in the bigs for 3-4 years (at best, barring you being a phenom), so what do you care if the team is shitty right now?

If/when the Marlins lose 90+ next year, they won't have to justify anything. The MLB won't step in. There's no reason for them to step in.
                          I would hope it would be 3 or 4 years, but wouldn't the Marlins be tempted to bring up people early ? Rushing I know can hurt some players and that would be the fear if I was a kid and especially a parent. Rushing a kid could ruin his chances permanently for making those big $ later in the career if he is ruined early. So you get $ 2 million but lose out on a $ 100 million. Yes its a risk, but some other team will probably draft you the next year anyways and will pay you the $ 2 million and you probably don't have to worry about the being rushed aspect.
                          --------------------
                          Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
                          More than likely they are going to be as bad, if not worse, as this year. Then again, they could shock everyone and pull an Oakland or Baltimore like last year. The reason why I think that is unlikely is because the pitching is so young. Nolasco is the veteran. Alvarez has one year under his belt. The rest of the staff has one year or less. But then you could say "but Baltimore and Oakland had a shit ton of rookies." which is true. I just don't see it happening.
                          From a fan's perspective this is very disheartening.
                          Last edited by oakelmpine; 12-04-2012, 10:48 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by oakelmpine View Post
                            I would hope it would be 3 or 4 years, but wouldn't the Marlins be tempted to bring up people early ? Rushing I know can hurt some players and that would be the fear if I was a kid and especially a parent. Rushing a kid could ruin his chances permanently for making those big $ later in the career if he is ruined early. So you get $ 2 million but lose out on a $ 100 million. Yes its a risk, but some other team will probably draft you the next year anyways and will pay you the $ 2 million and you probably don't have to worry about the being rushed aspect.
                            --------------------

From a fan's perspective this is very disheartening.
                            Marlins have no reason to rush a player that isn't ready. They wouldn't want to start their arbitration clock early. The Marlins are a perfect team for a young kid to get drafted to. Perfect.

Comment

No one out there should be comparing this team to Baltimore or Oakland of 2012. That's asking an awful lot to happen.
                              But that seems to be what the management is counting on. Unless they just have no interest in winning.

Comment

• They don't, Oakel.

Comment

Working...
                                X