X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I suppose

Comment

• Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
      He was the most productive player on the team last year...

He's going to be wasting some of his best seasons now with a team that won't realistically compete for a few years.
      --------------------

Not that he has any leverage unless he makes it clear he won't sign long term.
      Wasting his best years?? These years are going to make him a lot of money. It's his job to play well and put the team in contention. Lots of players spend years on bad teams. It's not his right to only be on winning teams...go out and help make this team a winner. He doesn't have to be happy about what has happened, but he has no right to try and force a trade either. He's very talented and has a ton of potential, but he's yet to prove he can get through a full season healthy. If he can do that, this team will win a lot more.

Comment

• First, he hasn't demanded a trade, at least not publicly. Second, hist first full year in the majors he played in 150 games so yeah, he has proven to make through a full year. It wasn't like the Marlins really needed him to come back quickly last year after they just gave up and traded half the team away.

Stanton can put up all the historical numbers he's capable of next season but they aren't winning shit with how the rest of the team is currently structured. Yeah, it's his job to play baseball but within that it also involves wanting to win which the Marlins basically threw out the window for the next few seasons.

Comment

• Also, hard to say he has no right to try and force a trade.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beef View Post
            Also, hard to say he has no right to try and force a trade.
            Well, it's a free country, so I guess he can ask for anything he wants. Contractually, he has no right to force a trade.
            --------------------
            Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
            First, he hasn't demanded a trade, at least not publicly. Second, hist first full year in the majors he played in 150 games so yeah, he has proven to make through a full year. It wasn't like the Marlins really needed him to come back quickly last year after they just gave up and traded half the team away.

Stanton can put up all the historical numbers he's capable of next season but they aren't winning shit with how the rest of the team is currently structured. Yeah, it's his job to play baseball but within that it also involves wanting to win which the Marlins basically threw out the window for the next few seasons.
            I don't buy that if he puts up historical numbers that the team won't contend...especially if Yelich and Fernandez are as good as advertised.

Sure, they likely won't contend THIS year, but it's not unreasonable to think they could be competing in 2014 and 2015. I don't agree with the reasons behind the Jays trade, but let's not pretend that before that trade, they were poised to contend anyway.
            Last edited by fauowls44; 12-03-2012, 12:34 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainge View Post
              That's not the FO's problem
              True, it isn't. But it also leads one to think that their treatment of Stanton, could affect the way some talented upper echelon draft choices make decisions of whether or not to sign with the Marlins if they are HS players.

I could see some very valuable draft choices choosing to not sign and go to college rather than signing with the Marlins. Even if it is one Stanton type of talent, that is a hellava lot to lose just because of your treatment of a player.

The kids now a days see and hear a lot more than 20 years ago. They follow Stanton and others on twitter, and other social networks. They see the way he feels and how the Marlins are run. If I was a parent of one of them, I know I also would question and seriously talk to my son about whether or not he should sign and be in such an organization. Is it worth the money to possibly in a very unhappy situation down the line.

Their penny pinching ways have many little nuances to them and many times they could be detrimental to the teams future.

It's a classic case of your reap what you sow. It's such a short-sighted way to run an organization.

Comment

• Originally posted by oakelmpine View Post
                True, it isn't. But it also leads one to think that their treatment of Stanton, could affect the way some talented upper echelon draft choices make decisions of whether or not to sign with the Marlins if they are HS players.

I could see some very valuable draft choices choosing to not sign and go to college rather than signing with the Marlins. Even if it is one Stanton type of talent, that is a hellava lot to lose just because of your treatment of a player.

The kids now a days see and hear a lot more than 20 years ago. They follow Stanton and others on twitter, and other social networks. They see the way he feels and how the Marlins are run. If I was a parent of one of them, I know I also would question and seriously talk to my son about whether or not he should sign and be in such an organization. Is it worth the money to possibly in a very unhappy situation down the line.

Their penny pinching ways have many little nuances to them and many times they could be detrimental to the teams future.

It's a classic case of your reap what you sow. It's such a short-sighted way to run an organization.
                This will absolutely not happen.

A player may not sign and may go to college, but it won't be because they were drafted by the Marlins. If anything, most amateurs should want to be signed by the Marlins. We promote players quickly and they'll get a shot sooner in Miami because of the lack of talent (and payroll) in the bigs.

If you were the parent of a top 10 pick and the Marlins offered you the slot $2mil for your son's John Hancock, and you said no just because of the Marlins dealings, you should be locked up in a loony bin.

It's one thing to want your son to get a 4 year education, it's another to pass up millions of dollars because of something so silly.

Comment

• I find it very doubtful any parent would tell their 18 year old child to turn down a $2 million signing bonus and go to college. Very rare is an Aaron crow situation with a guy going back to school. Got to take the money. Making it the majors and becoming awesome is a future great problem to be in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                    This will absolutely not happen.

A player may not sign and may go to college, but it won't be because they were drafted by the Marlins. If anything, most amateurs should want to be signed by the Marlins. We promote players quickly and they'll get a shot sooner in Miami because of the lack of talent (and payroll) in the bigs.

If you were the parent of a top 10 pick and the Marlins offered you the slot $2mil for your son's John Hancock, and you said no just because of the Marlins dealings, you should be locked up in a loony bin.

It's one thing to want your son to get a 4 year education, it's another to pass up millions of dollars because of something so silly.
                    You can go to community college for one year and re-enter the draft. Giving up money (especially if you come from a well to do family) is not as big a deal as some make it out to be.

Supposedly I thought Jason Heyward had used this very ploy to ward off the Marlins drafting him. Think of the way the Marlins would be in if they had (and they could have) Heyward & Stanton ?

Did he threaten to not sign unless he was drafted by certain teams (one of which was Atlanta). If not then I heard wrong.
                    Last edited by oakelmpine; 12-03-2012, 03:58 PM.

Comment

• What stud player in their right mind would go to community college, risk injury, play with talent well below them just because of the Marlins.

This is of course the Marlins offered said player a slot deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by oakelmpine View Post

I could not disagree more. If anything, the Marlins way of business allows for more opportunity for young players to establish themselves as big leaguers than most, if not all, other organizations do. Guys like Cody Ross, Dan Uggla, and others were given extended opportunities to prove themselves here and turned that into more opportunity and money down the road.

Look at the number of prospects we've called up since 2006 that were given roles to contribute in.

Advising your hypothetical son to turn down an amateur contract of market value would be doing him a disservice. Worst case scenario is he's "unhappy" for a few seasons and becomes a free agent. It's not like he's signing the contract in blood.

No draft pick will turn us down if the money is competitive.
                        --------------------
                        Originally posted by oakelmpine View Post
                        You can go to community college for one year and re-enter the draft.

Supposedly I thought Jason Heyward had used this very ploy to ward off the Marlins drafting him. Think of the way the Marlins would be in if they had (and they could have) Heyward & Stanton ?

Did he threaten to not sign unless he was drafted by certain teams (one of which was Atlanta). If not then I heard wrong.
                        It was just Atlanta. He threatened to not sign if anyone but Atlanta drafted him. Nothing Marlins specific
                        Last edited by Mainge; 12-03-2012, 03:58 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Yeah, Heyward used it to fend off San Fran who was really really all in on him building up to that draft.

Comment

• @joecapMARLINS
                            Beinfest said #Marlins have spoken to the agent for Giancarlo Stanton "a few times" since the Toronto trade.
                            Beinfest would NOT say if Giancarlo Stanton's agent has requested a trade. "We'll keep those conversations private.'' #Marlins

Comment

• that means yes!

Comment

• It means no!

Comment

Working...
                                X