Regalado Pens Letter to Selig, Protests Marlins-Jays Trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regalado Pens Letter to Selig, Protests Marlins-Jays Trade

Miami Mayor Tomas Regalado basically won his position because while serving on the city commission he was one of the few voices against funding for the new Marlins' stadium. So, it's no surprise he's pissed about Jeffrey Loria's megatrade firesale this week.

Regalado has even penned a letter to MLB commissioner Bud Selig asking him to investigate the trade.

Here's the letter, via Adam Kuperstein's Twitter.

And, yes, it's true, the Marlins made a public promise to the City of Miami, Miami-Dade County and the taxpayers that they would up their payroll and field a competitive team in exchange for the new ballpark.

Of course, everyone learned from this season that throwing money at players doesn't necessarily lead to a competitive team.
    http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/ripti..._pens_lett.php

And we thought this was going to be a slow offseason with just Kouzmanoff signings

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
      And we thought this was going to be a slow offseason with just Kouzmanoff signings
      What, Kouz wasn't kool enough for u ?

Comment

I didn't know the mayor of Miami was also a longtime baseball scout! Of course the city paid for the stadium but these guys are acting like this is Houston/KC and the team is gonna have nothing for the next 10 years.

This is getting to be even more laughable everyday. I understand that 2013 the team will be pure crap,but what happens if this team eventually wins? He will be celebrating like everyone else

Comment

I am getting tired of hearing about "eventually".
          Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
          Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
          Noah Perio
          Jupiter
          39 AB
          15 H
          0 2B
          0 3B
          0 HR
          0 BB
          .385/.385/.385

Comment

I think the package we got sets the team back a lot farther than you think tjfla. Everyone expected 2013 to be pure crap but I don't see anytime in the future that the group of players they got improve the team more than the group they had.

The group of players the marlins traded had 12.2 WAR (fangraphs) and I think we would expect more production from the group of players. We only got salary relief. Our minor league system isn't that strong. The only "bad" contract we got rid of was Buehrle. We paid to get rid of Buck and got Mathis so we still have that bad contract. They significantly set the franchise back with this trade and in order to get anyone to sign here they will now need to give them really bad contracts. So what they're going to go for it all in 2015 by giving horrendous contracts and then dump everything the following offseason.

Comment

Originally posted by jay576 View Post
              I think the package we got sets the team back a lot farther than you think tjfla. Everyone expected 2013 to be pure crap but I don't see anytime in the future that the group of players they got improve the team more than the group they had.

The group of players the marlins traded had 12.2 WAR (fangraphs) and I think we would expect more production from the group of players. We only got salary relief. Our minor league system isn't that strong. The only "bad" contract we got rid of was Buehrle. We paid to get rid of Buck and got Mathis so we still have that bad contract. They significantly set the franchise back with this trade and in order to get anyone to sign here they will now need to give them really bad contracts. So what they're going to go for it all in 2015 by giving horrendous contracts and then dump everything the following offseason.
              No what I really think they want to do is play moneyball and they think they are as smart as the A's brass. If they can manage it and win they are happy, if they don't oh well they lined their pockets and Loria's wallet won.

Comment

Working...
              X