Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Loria Selling the Club? He Says No. A Source Says Otherwise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The club’s stadium agreement with Miami-Dade County and the City of Miami has a “Payment Upon Sale of Team” provision. It states that if Loria sells more than a 50 percent stake in the club within a certain time frame, the county and city would receive a percentage equity payment.

The payout period is seven years from the start of construction, so after three years of the ballpark’s operational phase Loria is free to sell a controlling interest and would not have to share profits. If Loria sells during years five, six or seven, he would have to payout 10 percent, 7.5 percent and 5 percent, respectively.
    http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...shing-out.html
    "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
    - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

One last post for this evening on the Marlins - - - - I have an unconfirmed report that tells me that the Marlins are being sold. My most sincere hope is that this is true and they really are selling. There can be no other reason for this embarrassing situation. I can't believe that MLB would tolerate this otherwise.
      https://www.facebook.com/jerry.delca.../4850132176284

The first trickles?

Comment

the report is from lilchris11

Comment

Maybe I'm the source of the unconfirmed rumor.

Comment

you just blew my mind man

Comment

Originally posted by Party View Post
              Who is that?

Comment

Spanish sports talk radio host.

Comment

Would he know? Is he reputable?

Comment

From ESPN.com:

This is how the Marlins ownership gets back at the 3 fans of the Marlins for voting for Obama.
                    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

He's the voice of FIU Football.

Comment

Not sure. He knows a few guys in the FO I know that for sure.

Comment

I pray to God he is right.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                            I always thought Loria would sell once they got the stadium. But I never thought this is how he would go out.
                            There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                              So if I'm understanding this right, the "penalty" could be just a drop in the bucket?
                              Like the cheap mother fucker would willingly give up any amount of money. Rich son of a bitch probably takes pennies from the tray at the gas station.
                              Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                              Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                              Noah Perio
                              Jupiter
                              39 AB
                              15 H
                              0 2B
                              0 3B
                              0 HR
                              0 BB
                              .385/.385/.385

Comment

Seems Rosenthal also hopes this is true.

Fear not, I’ve found the Marlins’ silver lining.

It will be clear to everyone if this is the first step in Jeffrey Loria’s exit strategy, the first step toward him selling the team.

I know how the Marlins will spin their 12-player blockbuster with the Blue Jays — they’re getting big prospects, huge salary relief, a chance to start over. Again.

Not good enough.

Not this time.

Not anymore.

This deal, even if it works out for the Marlins, is a violation of the public trust.

I’d say that commissioner Bud Selig should invoke his “best interest of baseball” powers to nullify the blockbuster. But frankly, the best interests of baseball would be better served if the deal led to Loria’s demise.

I want to know how Loria can face the people of South Florida, the taxpayers who subsidized 70 percent of his $515 million ballpark in Miami.

I want to know how he will market his team to free agents after trading three that he signed for a combined $191 million only a year ago.

I want to know what he will tell star right fielder Giancarlo Stanton, who tweeted after learning of the trade, “Alright, I’m pissed off!!! Plain & Simple.”

Stanton should be pissed off. His teammates should be pissed off. And Major League Baseball should be pissed off, too.

The Marlins are going back to their old model. They’ll collect revenue-sharing money, national-TV money and other financial goodies from baseball, all while operating with a minuscule payroll.

And you thought Ozzie Guillen was an embarrassment. This is worse, much worse — even if the trade turns out OK from a baseball perspective, which it very well might.

The Marlins reportedly are clearing all but $4 million of the approximately $165 million-plus owed to shortstop Jose Reyes, left-hander Mark Buehrle, right-hander Josh Johnson, catcher John Buck and infielder/outfielder Emilio Bonifacio.

They’re getting four of the Blue Jays’ top prospects — shortstop Adeiny Hechavarria, outfielder Jake Marisnick, left-hander Justin Nicolino and right-hander Anthony DeSclafani — plus shortstop Yunel Escobar, right-hander Henderson Alvarez and catcher Jeff Mathis.

Bonifacio, who can play center field or second base, actually may have the fewest warts of the new Jays. He certainly is the least expensive. Remember, the Marlins back-loaded the free-agent contracts of Reyes, Buehrle and closer Heath Bell, whom they recently traded to the Diamondbacks.

And baseball, you ask?

Reyes and Johnson are physical risks. Buehrle turns 34 in March. Buck batted .192 last season. No doubt, Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos is fretting that he gave up too much and got too little, even though the initial perception will be that he won the deal.

Again, it’s all just details. The big picture is what matters. And in the big picture, the Marlins finally have gone too far.

This is their third major salary dump under two different owners. Enough is enough.

Loria needs to answer to his fans who bought season tickets, to the South Florida politicians who helped him secure ballpark financing, to his fellow baseball owners who should assail him for wrecking the Miami market.

Actually, better he should say nothing.

Better he just sell.

Comment

Working...
                                X