GM Meetings 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
    Ya I agree is aggressive u gotta think they sign whoever and that guy is in Jupiter/GBoro by end of year then they spend the whole year in Jax or Jupiter as well as AFL AB's. Thats why I said they want just want a stopgap

Buck/Nolasco can be moved from pretty much we got in the Bell trade,either pay salary or pay some of it and send low prospects back. As for JJ,I hear they still want a Top Prospect but if I was them I would take back a Young arm or 2 and a decent prospect at 2B/3B/CF

I know people are sick of me saying this but a Texas offer of the Marlins choice of 2 arms(Buckel,Font,Loux,Grimm,Luke Jackson,Mendez,Neil Ramirez) and Leury Garcia, I would be all over.The question is tho do the Marlins ask for less and get guys they can use or keep demanding a Top Prospect plus more? That Texas deal I keep saying was talked bout during the Trade Deadline so its not like they havent discussed it.

The problem is a a deal like that Buckel,Grimm/Loux,and Garcia would get us a young 2B/UT guy,a cheap young ML Ready arm to replace JJ and at worse a nice RP arm and help us rebuild.However the FO and Jeff want Mike Olt plus that!!!! One advantage we have tho is if we trade him now rather than to wait is the team that trades for him will get a Comp pick if he doesnt resign
    --------------------
    One thing is for sure tho,after the Top 3 arms (Grienke,Anibal,Jackson) sign we will know what teams need a SP. As soon as they sign they will all be calling us to see what we want for JJ and maybe even Nolasco and Buehrle
    Buckel is very appealing. I think with JJ heading into his FA year I'd be all for Olt and Buckel for JJ. If we're able to get Neil Ramirez as well, I don't see why you don't pull the trigger right there.

Comment

Anibal apparently just asked someone for 7/$100. Yikes.

JJ is going to become real attractive with type A compensation if Anibal gets even $60.
      --------------------
      Originally posted by Big Z View Post
      Buckel is very appealing. I think with JJ heading into his FA year I'd be all for Olt and Buckel for JJ. If we're able to get Neil Ramirez as well, I don't see why you don't pull the trigger right there.
      Olt and Buckel would be tremendous. I would not be opposed throwing in whatever else, like Buck and most of his salary (they have no catchers and he has some value if it's real cheap for them), and giving them a non-Cishek reliever and Cox to sit on to 'replace' Olt in their system (Olt is probably in AAA as Moreland primary 1B, Young DH, Kinsler moves to LF as Profar is going to 2B, and Murphy/Gentry/martin in CF??? no PA for Olt unless someone goes down, as they are trying to sign a free agent bat as well which further hurts his chances of contributing in 2013).

Getting the 3B is huge even if Olt sits in NOLA for 2-3 months as Kouzmanoff makes his improbable run at the all star game. Buckel would be really nice to sit on for a year. Would be all baseball moves, but they don't care about attendance figures so whatever.
      Last edited by lou; 11-09-2012, 01:27 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I believe trade talks died because Texas said no chance to trading Olt for JJ. Yet they're completely willing to trade Olt to get Justin Upton. I get it, but it's confusing to me personally given Texas' need for a pitcher far outweighs their need for another outfielder (even if Hamilton does leave).

Comment

I just don't get it because they're over stacked with bats. Moreland is blocking 1B, Beltre 3B. They're so overstocked with bats that Kinsler is playing LF, I believe.

Comment

Olt can play first and I think is a lot better than Moreland, right?
            LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

If I were Texas, I would love to plop Johnson on top of this for Olt/secondary P thats not Perez, recoup the two picks for Johnson with 2014 draft picks, and let my internal depth (Perez, Grimm, etc) replace him in 2014. Its not exactly rent an ace when you are guaranteed to get Type A if he doesnt get hurt. Highly motivated Johnson in a walk year and don't have to spend bananas on him in a world Anibal thinks he gets $90-100 million. And I bet they can get Marlins to pick up Buck for relatively free just because of Olt, and thats helpful to them.

Johnson
              Darvish
              Harrison
              Holland
              Ogando, said he is back to starting now no more pen
              Perez in AAA who are just about ready.
              C. Lewis coming back from injury mid year

That is a dominant 1-2 for the playoffs, and certainly Holland/Ogando/Perez could break out while Harrison chugs along. Add another veteran bat and veteran catcher in free agency, and looking really really good opening day. If somehow more offense is needed, farm is stacked to move for help. Beltre is signed through 2016.

Comment

I don't think Josh Johnson's value is Mike Olt+ high. If it wasn't that high at the trade deadline last year, why would it be that high this offseason?

Comment

Because Anibal Sanchez wants a crazy amount of money.
                  poop

Comment

And Greinke is probably going to stay in LAA

Comment

Still makes zero sense to me.

The situation at the trade deadline was nearly identical and they said no.

The only difference between then and now:
                      a) JJ now only has 1 year left on his contract as opposed to 1.5 years.
                      b) Ogando is moving back to their rotation, meaning they probably feel like they need JJ less.

There are also solid pitchers available in FA not named Grienke/Anibal Sanchez that they can sign.

I don't understand how you can say it's "not rent an ace" when it's basically that. It's rent an ace with a career track record of durability issues.

Comment

They don't value Josh Johnson as much as we think they should, I don't think it's that difficult to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                          Well, they did try to "win now" in 2012. It just didn't work. They just don't seem interested in doing that again because it would cost them $30 million in free agency salaries (plus not trading JJ), as well as likely sending out 2-4 of their top 10 prospects not named Fernandez or Yelich to acquire another guy or two. They would rather pocket the cash they traded out and hope for cheap options from guys down the road. This season is going to be an attendance disaster of their own making. Way to keep excitement for the park going.

I figure the Marlins get the 2019 all star game. Selig will give it to the Nationals in 2015, and probably Reds in 2017.
                          Seems a bit unfair for Washington to get the game before we do. But it will probably happen that way, as MLB just seems to not really care about this market at all. But why Cincy before us too ? Just because of Great American ? Do you think the possibility of tropical weather is a reason why they have never put a game here ?

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                            I don't think Josh Johnson's value is Mike Olt+ high. If it wasn't that high at the trade deadline last year, why would it be that high this offseason?
                            Just because they weren't willing to pay that doesn't mean he wasn't worth it. Had they traded for JJ instead of going the cheap route with Dempster I bet they don't have that collapse and who knows how far they get in the playoffs with that pitching staff. They may realize that to be the case and want to pull the trigger.

Comment

GM meetings are over, but this is part of the off-season:

@BNightengale: The #Marlins are letting teams know that virtually everyone is available on trade market, and plenty of teams are calling.
                              Twitter

Comment

It's funny seeing fans of other teams now talk about trading for Stanton after he tweeted that out.

Comment

Working...
                                X