No announcement yet.

GM Meetings 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apparently, we're looking for 3B options and a setup guy according to the article on the main site.

Seems like we're going with Cishek as closer and there will be competition for spots. It's an article that would probably make lou upset.

Comment

Did it mention who Plan A was?
      poop

Comment

I find it hard to believe we're looking at 3B options. I was told Kouzmanoff was our 3B.

Comment

Thanks Hugg, I wanted to make a smart ass comment about going after a 3B cause you know following this team all season I thought we were good at 3B. I am glad an article cleared up for us. Wait I think my comment was a bit smart assish.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
            Apparently, we're looking for 3B options and a setup guy according to the article on the main site.

Seems like we're going with Cishek as closer and there will be competition for spots. It's an article that would probably make lou upset.
            It should make all Marlins fans upset. Maybe you missed the part where they opened a brand new stadium and the entire culture of the franchise was supposed to change. Now articles are getting published that the organization is looking to do to 3B what they did in 2008 (that was the Cantu, McPherson, Castillo competition). That's pretty pathetic. Maybe if a Wright or Headley were available in free agency things would be different and they would use all the Hanley/Anibal/Infante/Bell dump money to acquire one of them, but after 7 years of them doing this crap and Loria/Samson crying poor season ticket sales, I'm done giving them the benefit of a doubt.

They are blowing their chance at establishing baseball in South Florida right from the start. It's truly amazing how much they suck.

Comment

Anyone taking a 2/$20-25MM Torii Hunter in LF?

Comment

nope, seems like alot of dough for someone on the wrong side of 35

Comment

Originally posted by Big Z View Post
                  Anyone taking a 2/$20-25MM Torii Hunter in LF?
                  If you are talking about the Marlins, hell no. That is frivolously blowing cash and not addressing real long term issues (3B, CF, SP) on the team. Plus that creates a nightmare next year with where to play Yelich.

And he would never come here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                    nope, seems like alot of dough for someone on the wrong side of 35
                    He is 37, which I agree is a bit old, but his WAR the past 3 years 3.7 (2010) 2.6 (2011) 5.3 (2012). OBP over the past 3 in the same sequence: .354, .336 and .365.

One guy I have been wanting us to go after is Justin Upton, but I don't know how his numbers will look at Marlins Park.

Weren't we supposedly working on a deal with them around the trade deadline?
                    Last edited by Big Z; 11-08-2012, 08:55 AM.

Comment

They should get a part time outfielder who can hit RHP a bit harder than LHP to help out Ruggiano.

You got to imagine Yelich is fast tracked and here by July, so nothing should be out there blocking him. Likewise, they need to play Ruggiano if you want to suggest he would go to the bench with a "Hunter" type signing, as Ruggiano could turn into a moderate asset if he can do a .260/.335/.450 Cody impression.
                      --------------------
                      The starting price for Upton would be Fernandez and two other 3-12 range prospects. No thanks. They need to take their chances with Stanton, Yelich, Ozuna, and Ruggiano in the corner outfield slots moving forward. I think that's a good bet.

3B (or 2B if a good one is around and makes Bonifacio tolerable at 3B for a few years), CF, and SP should be the only major acquisitions if they are going to really spend or acquire big time prospects
                      Last edited by lou; 11-08-2012, 09:01 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                        They should get a part time outfielder who can hit RHP a bit harder than LHP to help out Ruggiano.

You got to imagine Yelich is fast tracked and here by July, so nothing should be out there blocking him. Likewise, they need to play Ruggiano if you want to suggest he would go to the bench with a "Hunter" type signing, as Ruggiano could turn into a moderate asset if he can do a .260/.335/.450 Cody impression.
                        Ruggiano didn't do bad against RHP this year. He should be able to man LF/CF next year. I keep forgetting we have Ruggiano.

I am assuming both Yelich and Fernandez are fast tracked and will be here by July 2013.

If Yelich is ready by July 2013, that gives us an OF of Ruggiano, Yelich and Stanton, which should be neat.

I guess the only way we actually trade for an OF is if we trade LoMo (which Ramp says is more valuable to us, than anyone else (I agree)) and then move Yelich to 1B which then leaves a hole in the OF.

Comment

Ruggiano's BABIP was over .400. He's quickly going to become a .260 hitter. Which isn't bad as he walks enough and has a little power, but when you are OPSing just .800 vs RHP during a major peak period, the responsible thing to do would be to get someone who can hit a bit against right handers. I think he's earned his opportunity to be rolled out there 5-6 games a week to start the year, but he's likely going to need some help.

And they can trade or acquire for an OF, it just has to be a center fielder. Unless they are just convinced Yelich can handle CF through at least 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                            It should make all Marlins fans upset. Maybe you missed the part where they opened a brand new stadium and the entire culture of the franchise was supposed to change. Now articles are getting published that the organization is looking to do to 3B what they did in 2008 (that was the Cantu, McPherson, Castillo competition). That's pretty pathetic. Maybe if a Wright or Headley were available in free agency things would be different and they would use all the Hanley/Anibal/Infante/Bell dump money to acquire one of them, but after 7 years of them doing this crap and Loria/Samson crying poor season ticket sales, I'm done giving them the benefit of a doubt.

They are blowing their chance at establishing baseball in South Florida right from the start. It's truly amazing how much they suck.
                            They took a chance in 2012 and it failed.

I was fully prepared for the team to suck if 2012 sucked. That's usually what happens when a mid-market team builds a team with high-priced free agents and the experiment fails. Now we're paying guys to no longer be on our roster.

What would you like them to do at 3B?

Comment

And that doesn't mean you give up, especially with a payroll structure moving forward where you can sign two major ($12-15 million) level free agents (or 1 free agent and extend JJ), and pay Stanton/everyone elses arbitration moving forward. And especially if you were gifted a stadium and alienating the entire potential fan base. It is absurd they are going to be bottom 6-7 in payroll (with the potential to be lowest with moving JJ, Nolasco, and Buck) the second year into a new stadium. They are the worst.

I don't have access to every GMs office to know who is available from the other teams, however 3B is certainly shot next 2 years minimum in free agency so the likely option is to trade for one as they cant wait 4 years for one in the Minors through draft. Maybe they can package Conley/Ozuna and get one. Or Hand. I also wouldn't have a problem trading JJ if they got a massive 3B prospect AND they immediately signed one of the best 5 non Greinke SP on the market for 3-4 seasons. I think they might do the JJ part, but not the sign anyone else part.
                              --------------------
                              If the main offseason moves are

-Stanton 7/$85
                              -JJ for big 3B prospect, like an Olt
                              -Sign "Anibal" 4/$50
                              -Acquire BJ/Bourn/Pagan/Span/other CF can have for 3-5 years for an acceptable price for respective to who they are
                              -Stop gap 3B/Ruggiano partner/catcher hit lefties

im happy
                              Last edited by lou; 11-08-2012, 12:26 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I'd assume they'd be all over Javy Vazquez if he comes back.

Comment

Working...
                                X