Managerial Hunt 2012: All Résumés Accepted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd that you chose not to bold

After winning 75 games under McClendon in 2003 and 72 games in 2004, the Pirates went six years without even getting to 70 wins. Until this year, when they won 79 games, they hadn't bettered McClendon's 75-win season.

Comment

I think the only coach that might actually matter at the MLB level is a pitching coach so I don't give a shit who the other coaches are.

Comment

I think the fact that many of the Marlins prospects that make their way up through the system are guys who work counts and draw a ton of walks only to simply disregard that and take a free swinging approach once they make it to the majors kind of disagrees with that stance.
        Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
        Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
        Noah Perio
        Jupiter
        39 AB
        15 H
        0 2B
        0 3B
        0 HR
        0 BB
        .385/.385/.385

Comment

Like?

Comment

I guess you can say Coghlan sucks and Morrison has "digressed," but Stanton is really only other farm hand who matters. Hayes, Petersen, and Cousins were never going to hit. Gaby was fine at first, I think he just got exposed afterwards as a marginal player so not really a 'free swinging' issue. They got Bonifacio young but he has gotten better so he wouldn't fall into that.

So yea, Morrison didn't walk a lot last year and Coghlan completely fell apart. I'm not sure I can go as far as a widespread farm/hitting coach disparity just based on those two. Are we including Hermida's epic fail here too, or more on he couldn't hit MLB fastballs.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugg View Post
              Odd that you chose not to bold
              oooh ahhh? I mean, the 2003 team included pre-SD Brian Giles, Jason Kendall, Reggie Sanders, young Jason Bay, and young Craig Wilson. The 2004 team included Jason Bay and Craig Wilson in their prime, young Jack Wilson (yeah, he actually hit for a while), Oliver Perez who put up a 2.98 ERA. The 2005 team went 55-81 (.404 WP) under McClendon before he got canned and included Oliver Perez who forgot how to pitch, monster Jason Bay and nothing else. Are we going to credit him for 70-someodd wins out of a mediocre team while faulting the managers after him for doing poorly with awful teams? He won more because his team was better. They won 79 games this year because it's the best team they've had in 10 years.
              Originally posted by Madman81
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Our team isn't going to suck because McClendon is our manager. It's going to suck because it sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by beinfest_virus.exe View Post
                  He won more because his team was better.
                  HOLY SHIT I THINK YOU CRACKED THE CODE
                  poop

Comment

Little early to say Bonifacio has gotten "better".
                    Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                    Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                    Noah Perio
                    Jupiter
                    39 AB
                    15 H
                    0 2B
                    0 3B
                    0 HR
                    0 BB
                    .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd View Post
                      Little early to say Bonifacio has gotten "better".
                      In the minor leagues he had a walk rate of 7%. In his first year as a Marlin, his walk rate was 6.7%

Since then, his walk rate 9%.

Pretty clear progression.

Comment

• Is mk7 doing a thing? Are tigers fans doing that same thing blaming the hitting cosh because the team got cold for 4 games?

Comment

• hitting cosh

Comment

• My iPhone betrayed me

Mk7 can make one of them tumbler websites about me

Comment

• tumblr
                              Originally posted by Madman81
                              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Bowa: “Well, no, they didn’t say underachieved. They said, are you gonna be, we need some intensity out there and we need some guys to play better than they played.
                                Basically, the front office wants a guy to come in and transform players they've missed on to be decent baseball players....

...or else he's fired. Love our front office!

Comment

Working...
                                X