Managerial Hunt 2012: All Résumés Accepted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beinfest_virus.exe View Post
    and also you get a year of service time if you are in the minors for 20 games or less during a season. If they called Hayes back up on September 1st it would have been less than 20 games for sure.
    Where did you see this rule? I can't find a single thing about it.
    --------------------
    I think I see what you're talking about, but it's 20 days not games.
    Last edited by HUGG; 10-28-2012, 09:06 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I like the idea that Brett Hayes getting Super Two would both loria at all.
      poop

Comment

According to MLBdepthcarts, Hayes and Coghlan are arbitration eligible. Don't know how reliable it is though.
        LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

mm, I think that's based off projected service time using the pre-2012 season service time
          --------------------
          Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
          I like the idea that Brett Hayes getting Super Two would both loria at all.
          I could absolutely see it. I can see him saying, well Brantley might suck, our catching depth is very thin, and I'm not going to pay 800k to a guy who is going to be sitting in AAA for depth
          --------------------
          I didn't watch The Franchise at all (too depressing) but I know Hayes's wife was popular. Did she say or do something (or did Hayes himself say or do something) that could piss Loria off?
          --------------------
          Originally posted by Hugg View Post
          Where did you see this rule? I can't find a single thing about it.
          --------------------
          I think I see what you're talking about, but it's 20 days not games.
          you're right, it's 20 days
          Last edited by emkayseven; 10-29-2012, 05:38 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
          Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Well, yeah. He would just cut Hayes and never think about him again. That would bother Hayes way more than it would bother Loria.
            poop

Comment

Originally posted by Beef View Post
              c'mon, what does that mean
              Any time I've heard him speak and his demeanor. He just doesn't seem like someone I'd want managing my ball club. Obviously I don't know him personally, but I would have to imagine there are better candidates than a mediocre at best 3B coach.

Comment

Former manager Larry Bowa went on “SiriusXM Mad Dog Radio” today and talked about his recent interview with the Marlins.

Here’s a partial transcript of Bowa’s interview with host Chris Russo.

Larry Bowa: “I had a nice interview with Jeffrey Loria and the general manager, [Larry] Beinfest, and [Dan] Jennings. It was a good interview.”

Host/Chris Russo: “Were you surprised they called you?”

Bowa: “No, not really. I’ve known Jeff Loria for awhile. It was a good interview. I had a good time exchanging ideas and everything and we’ll see where that goes.”

Russo: “Are you optimistic that something could happen there?”

Bowa: “You know what, Chris, you know how that goes. When you get interviewed you don’t know. You know, you think you did good, maybe you didn’t do good. I thought it was a good interview. We made some good points with each other.”

Russo: “That team could use a little feistiness from you.”

Bowa: (laughs) “Yeah, that was one of the issues that was brought up.”

Russo: “They asked you how you are going to approach this team that underachieved, is that what they basically said?”

Bowa: “Well, no, they didn’t say underachieved. They said, are you gonna be, we need some intensity out there and we need some guys to play better than they played.”

Russo: “I can tell, Larry, you’ve still got a young heart. You want to manage. If the right opportunity comes you’re going to take a job.”

Bowa: “That ballclub would be good. That ballclub would be good, Chris.”
                http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/marli...miami-marlins/
                Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

Larry has that demeanor; you can just tell when he speaks.

Comment

From MLBTR:

Reds pitching coach Bryan Price has withdrawn his name from consideration for the Marlins' managerial vacancy, tweets John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer.

Comment

With Price out of the picture, that leaves only two known candidates -- Mike Redmond and Larry Bowa -- that have formally interviewed for the job. That doesn't mean the job will come down to those two, necessarily.

Sources said the Marlins intended to bring in more candidates, though that would seem problematic for the time being given the weather issues in New York, where owner Jeffrey Loria resides and where he has spoken to each managing prospect individually.

At the moment, Redmond is believed to be the favorite for the job, but that could always change.
                      http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_...#storylink=cpy

Tells me they aren't overly thrilled with Redmond, no?

Comment

No. Due diligence. It's not 3 am and you take home whatever girl is walking. There still might be a hotter one at the next bar.

I call that 'Ramping'

Comment

It's 3 am and I must be lonely.
                          poop

Comment

It's 3am and i'm drunk again

Comment

Lloyd mcClendon interviewed. Someone else can cite it I'm sitting around mobile

I hope he brings 3B with him

Comment

dear God please no

Tigers hitting coach Lloyd McClendon has emerged as a candidate to become the Marlins manager.

McClendon, who managed the Pirates from 2001-05, interviewed with Marlins officials on Tuesday, according to sources. The 53-year-old McClendon would be a good fit with the Marlins, who are trying to move on after one turbulent year with Ozzie Guillen in charge.

Mike Redmond and Larry Bowa have also been mentioned as candidates for the job.

The Pirates were 336-446 under McClendon, but that record looks significantly better in retrospect. After winning 75 games under McClendon in 2003 and 72 games in 2004, the Pirates went six years without even getting to 70 wins. Until this year, when they won 79 games, they hadn't bettered McClendon's 75-win season.

McClendon joined Jim Leyland's Tiger staff in 2006, and has played a big part in helping the Tigers to two World Series and three ALCS appearances.
                                http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/da...on-for-manager

pretty sure it was 1B, wasn't it lou?
                                --------------------
                                McClendon hasn't been popular in Detroit. They had some pretty intense slumps this year
                                --------------------
                                Can Leyland stand firm and demand only he should determine the fate his coaches -- notably the ones who have attracted the most public scorn, like hitting coach Lloyd McClendon, one of Leyland's closest friends? In late June, as the Tigers endured one of their World Series-like slumps, roving minor league instructor Toby Harrah was added to the staff to assist McClendon.
                                http://www.freep.com/article/2012103...coaching-staff

Jim Leyland should — should — be back as manager. The only collision point could center on coaches. It would be surprising if Dombrowski, who brought up Toby Harrah last summer as a co-hitting coach, would suddenly return Harrah to his old job as minor-league roving hitting instructor.

Harrah probably sticks as hitting coach. That means Lloyd McClendon, who should be managing somewhere in the big leagues, is either moved to a different post or shifts to a different team.
                                http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2Atsa7Z6k

When the Tigers hit just .199/.246/.335 against the St. Louis Cardinals in the 2006 World Series, then-hitting-coach Don Slaught resigned a few days after it was all over.

Might Lloyd McClendon do the same? For that matter, will he be able to avoid getting the axe this winter?

It's fair to wonder about McClendon's job security. Tigers batters hit just .159/.243/.246, and they failed to score runs in large part because they simply had no clue how to approach the Giants pitchers. The club's approach was a mess from start to finish, and much of the blame for that lies with McClendon.

The Tigers had their troubles at the plate during the regular season too. We were all expecting them to be one of the league's elite offensive teams, yet they finished 11th in the league in runs scored and No. 7 in OPS. The final numbers certainly would have been far worse without Miguel Cabrera and Prince Fielder.

Punch McClendon's name into Twitter's search engine, and you'll find plenty of people calling for his head. I prefer to avoid pushing the "Fire everyone!" button when I can, but even I think the Tigers have enough grounds to let McClendon go and try their luck with someone else.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that a power play from the front office is in order.
                                http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-sweep/page/10
                                Last edited by emkayseven; 10-31-2012, 12:55 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Working...
                                X