No announcement yet.

Managerial Hunt 2012: All Résumés Accepted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The commissioner's office is supposed to review the list before the club decides on a hire, and at least two minority candidates are usually interviewed.
    http://articles.nydailynews.com/2003...lorida-marlins
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
      The poor 3B coach bit was kind of tongue and cheek, but I don't see anything managerial about him.
      c'mon, what does that mean

Comment

Being forced to interview minority candidates is so absurd. Just like it would be absurd to be forced to interview a white candidate.

If a team knows who it wants or has a select pool of wanted candidates, they shouldnt have to go through a dog and pony show.
        Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
        Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
        Noah Perio
        Jupiter
        39 AB
        15 H
        0 2B
        0 3B
        0 HR
        0 BB
        .385/.385/.385

Comment

Originally posted by Todd View Post
          Being forced to interview minority candidates is so absurd. Just like it would be absurd to be forced to interview a white candidate.

If a team knows who it wants or has a select pool of wanted candidates, they shouldnt have to go through a dog and pony show.
          I agree.

Comment

Foremost among a manager's responsibilities: Putting players in position to succeed. The Marlins are not looking for their sixth manager in four years because the previous five, most recently Ozzie Guillen, were inept at doing so.

The manager/front office dynamic is partly to blame, but so is a lacking organizational philosophy. President of Baseball Operations Larry Beinfest earlier this week admitted the organization may need to redefine or re-establish a "Marlins Way."

Until that happens, whoever manages the club won't be ideally positioned for success.

"If the manager doesn't know what they want and what they want to develop, it's going to be hard," said Edwin Rodriguez, who replaced Fredi Gonzalez in June 2010 and quit 71 games into the 2011 season. "Or, they have to give him time to make adjustments. I think that's why they've had so many problems finding the manager they want. The organization doesn't have a personality, a culture."

Added former Marlin and current Fox Sports Florida analyst Cliff Floyd: "That's what you want your team to be. You want to be able to get guys on the same page and understand your concept is the final concept. Whether you like it or not, this is how we're going to do things."

For young players, how things are done should already be ingrained in them in the minors. Instability with the big league field staff makes it difficult to build on or carry out an organizational philosophy.

"If you develop a player in the minor leagues for three or four years one way and when he gets to the majors he has to be somebody else, you're going to have problems," Rodriguez said. "The last five [managers] were five different personalities, five different styles. Whoever comes to manage the Marlins will have a hard time if as an organization they don't have a better established plan for the kind of culture they want to develop."

The managerial instability is not solely the product of not having a better employee handbook. This is an owner- and front office-centric outfit. A Marlins manager, barring some ungodly run of success, is never going to have the most prominent voice in the room.

"The biggest key is the manager is going to have to be OK with the input he's getting from the front office," former Marlin and Fox Sports Florida analyst Preston Wilson said on MLB Network Radio this week. "He's going to have to be somebody who's going to be able to listen to what ownership wants and be able to abide by it. There were some things that happened with Ozzie. There were some things that happened with [Joe] Girardi, even with Fredi Gonzalez, with the manager and front office not seeing eye-to-eye."

According to a source close to Guillen, he became increasingly frustrated over not being consulted on personnel decisions. On many instances players were demoted without so much as a discussion.

Guillen wanted a third catcher in September when rosters expanded. He was told the owner didn't want Brett Hayes back in the big leagues and he had to go with what he had.

"Ozzie didn't know it was that bad, and he was there [as a coach]," the source said. "There was no back and forth. ... Ozzie and Larry didn't communicate at all [beyond] the necessary."

Guillen also didn't take kindly to having club executives waiting for him in his office after games questioning moves. On more than one occasion he told them to get lost in not so pleasant terms.

That's not to say owner Jeffrey Loria or Beinfest were writing out lineup cards. They made requests, like wanting to see more of Gorkys Hernandez and Rob Brantly for evaluation purposes, but they weren't telling Guillen where to hit guys.

"Nobody wants to be a do-boy," Floyd said. "Nobody wants to be sitting there being a puppet and yanked around. You want someone who can stand up for himself."

Gonzalez last season told the Miami Herald there wasn't a manager alive or dead that Loria felt was good enough to manage his team. That prompted Loria to fire back, calling Gonzalez a colossal failure.

Rodriguez said he didn't find communication with the front office to be a problem. They had disagreements, but Rodriguez never was denied the opportunity to express opinions.

"I don't remember a time when they made a decision that took me by surprise," he said. "For example, when they fired [hitting coach] John Mallee I was against it, but we talked about it."

Added another source close to multiple ex-Marlins managers: "They're having a hard time finding someone they can control. They want somebody they can control. That's just how it's going to be."
            http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/201...ez-marlins-way

The bit about Brett Hayes is amazing if true, that an owner could feel that strongly about a 3rd catcher.
            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

Oh snap, Brett Hayes must have hurt Jeffy's feelings somehow.
              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

a .202 batting average

Comment

lol I didn't realize he ended up with a .483 OPS

Good god, he's awful.
                  poop

Comment

LOL at Beinfest and Loria wanting to see MORE of Gorkys Hernandez. I think we saw enough after his first at bat.

And every time I hear Edwin Rodriguez talk, I feel like we lost a good manager when he resigned. Basically got forced out for a god awful 20 game stretch.
                    Last edited by dim; 10-28-2012, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by beinfest_virus.exe View Post

The bit about Brett Hayes is amazing if true, that an owner could feel that strongly about a 3rd catcher.
                      I was talking with a friend the other day about this exact subject among other things Marlins-related, I'll just paste what i said......How are you supposed to build anything when you change managers and team chemistry/philosophy just about every year?

Comment

The Marlins have a team philosophy they have never abided by seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by beinfest_virus.exe View Post

Pretty much confirms what a lot of us have been talking about for months.
                          God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
                          - Daft

Comment

come to think of it, looks like Hayes is going to be just short of super 2

Comment

amazing, if true
                              poop

Comment

I'm pretty sure Coghlan was sent down a day before he hit three years of service time.
                                LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Working...
                                X