No announcement yet.

Marlins Fire Ozzie Guillen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meh. They've still contended for a playoff spot more often than not since 2003. It's not like they've been bottom-feeders.

Comment

• I mean, doesn't it count for something that a lot of that success was front loaded and built on the successes of Dombrowski?
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• 08 and 09 have been the only competitive years since the championship in 03. That isn't more often than not.

Comment

• Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
          08 and 09 have been the only competitive years since the championship in 03. That isn't more often than not.
          They contended for most of the year in 2004, 2005, and 2006...

I mean, in '08 they won 84 games. They won 83 in '04 and '05. So, how were they competitive in '08 but not in '04 and '05?
          --------------------
          Originally posted by beinfest_virus.exe View Post
          I mean, doesn't it count for something that a lot of that success was front loaded and built on the successes of Dombrowski?
          For something, yeah. But not "OH MY GOD WE'RE THE PITTSBURGH PIRATES."
          Last edited by Valid; 10-23-2012, 08:53 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by Valid View Post
            They contended for most of the year in 2004, 2005, and 2006...

I mean, in '08 they won 84 games. They won 83 in '04 and '05. So, how were they competitive in '08 but not in '04 and '05?
            --------------------

For something, yeah. But not "OH MY GOD WE'RE THE PITTSBURGH PIRATES."
            Because not every season is that cut and dry, where they finish in relation to other teams factors into it like where they ended up in the division or wild card. I'll give you 05.

I also don't personally rate success of the team I root for in regards of them being competitive. I want to see them make the playoffs. They are going to be hitting a decade next year. I could give a rats ass what teams have had worst success than the Marlins during that time. Saying "at least we aren't team X" does nothing for me and the team I root for. It doesn't provide any satisfaction or lighten the recent failures of this team.

Comment

• Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
              Because not every season is that cut and dry, where they finish in relation to other teams factors into it like where they ended up in the division or wild card. I'll give you 05.

I also don't personally rate success of the team I root for in regards of them being competitive. I want to see them make the playoffs. They are going to be hitting a decade next year. I could give a rats ass what teams have had worst success than the Marlins during that time. Saying "at least we aren't team X" does nothing for me and the team I root for. It doesn't provide any satisfaction or lighten the recent failures of this team.
              But they were in contention in '04 and '06 just as long as they were in '05, '08, and '09, so that doesn't make sense. All of those teams pretty much stayed in it up until the middle of September and then fizzled out.

And I'm sorry, but what you just said in that second paragraph really is not relative to what I was saying. All I said was that we've been a slightly above average franchise for the past decade. I didn't say we were great. I didn't say I'm happy with just contending for playoff spots. I'm just saying that it's pretty stupid to think the Marlins are a bottom-feeder when they clearly have not been.

Comment

• I remember a discussion on ATH in 2006 after the Anibal Sanchez no hitter where they asked who they thought would win the wild card. All four people on the panel picked the Marlins at that time. This was September 7th. I'd consider this a contending season.

05 was just a massive disappointment, maybe even more than this year considering that team was talented enough to make a World Series run.
                Last edited by dim; 10-23-2012, 11:23 PM.

Comment

• Probably the wild card because the Mets ran away with the division that year, but yeah. The Marlins were definitely in contention.

Comment

• 05 was the season we were leading the Wild Card in late August and then shit the bed in September.
                    --------------------
                    We were 3 games back of San Diego for the WC after Anibal's no-hitter in 06.
                    Last edited by HUGG; 10-23-2012, 09:09 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugg View Post
                      05 was the season we were leading the Wild Card in late August and then shit the bed in September.
                      They were actually leading in September for a bit. They took two of the first four of a series against Houston in Sept. to go up by 1.5 games, then lost the next two and shit the bed from there on out. The dagger was the 10-run 8th inning (?) debacle against Philly.
                      --------------------
                      And the closest we got in '06 was 2 GB. I remember this because we blew that one late inning lead against the Mets in the game where Girardi brought JJ back out after a rain delay (I wanna say this was like Sept. 12 because I remember blowing the Mets out like 16-3 on September 11th that year, and I'm pretty sure that was the game before this). If we would have won that game, we would have been a game back.
                      --------------------
                      Do I have too much time on my hands to be remembering all of this stuff?
                      Last edited by Valid; 10-23-2012, 09:24 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Ozzie is going on a tweet barrage

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                          Ozzie is going on a tweet barrage
                          Anything interesting?

Comment

• Ricky deleted his tweet.
                            LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• With how many managers we have fired and had to pay we could of fielded another team. Esp back in our low payroll days.

Comment

• Originally posted by mbitcronod12 View Post
                                Anything interesting?
                                Not even remotely.
                                --------------------
                                Frisaro says Mike Redmond is a front-runner, so it won't be him.

Tim Wallach also mentioned.

Sandy Alomar Jr. would make a lot of sense.
                                Last edited by HUGG; 10-24-2012, 12:36 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Working...
                                X