Marlins Fire Ozzie Guillen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins Fire Ozzie Guillen

@JCRMarlinsbeat: RT @Buster_ESPN: Marlins are aggressively seeking a replacement for Ozzie Guillen. Will they wait to find someone before firing him? We'll see.
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

In Beinfest we trust! :notworthy :nothworthy :notworthy
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

I seriously do not understand why Ozzie would be fired.

I hate this team.

Comment

While I don't "hate" the team, I would hate this move. I don't see how the blame for this season's misery could possibly fall on Ozzie's shoulders, but whatever.
        --------------------
        It's funny, though. The Marlins will get bashed in the media if they fire Ozzie yet everyone will probably say Boston made the right move in canning Valentine.
        Last edited by Valid; 10-04-2012, 02:29 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

So after we fire him, it's going to make three managers who are hired by other teams after we fire them.

Loria is the best

EDIT: Well other than Edwin.

I was speaking as managers of major league squads.
          Last edited by dim; 10-04-2012, 03:30 PM.

Comment

I feel like most managers get hired after they get fired.
            poop

Comment

It'll be interesting to see who will want to actually manage a team that will fire them if they fail to compliment the owner's new hair cut.

Comment

There are 30 of these jobs in the entire world. I don't think that's a concern.
                poop

Comment

I'll do it. Fuck it.

And another team won't even hire me after I get fired so we can stop that vicious streak. Win-win for everyone.

Comment

Breaking news: Marlins fire manager "Mainge" after he doesn't go easy on team president David Samson in an online match of Madden 13.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                      And another team won't even hire me after I get fired so we can stop that vicious streak. Win-win for everyone.
                      Thank god, that was getting embarrassing.
                      poop

Comment

I'd fuckin whoop Samson

Comment

I have no issues if Loria wants to fire Ozzie. This year was an abortion, even if Ozzie can't swing the bats for his players.

Comment

Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria is getting pressure from his top executives to fire Ozzie Guillen because they believe he has brought an unprofessional culture to the club, two people who have spoken with the front office told Joe Capozzi of The Palm Beach Post.

Comment

Whole Capozzi article.

Manager Ozzie Guillen and some members of his coaching staff might have worked their last game for the Miami Marlins.

Owner Jeffrey Loria is getting pressure from his top baseball executives to fire Guillen because they believe he has brought an unprofessional culture to the Marlins, according to two people who have spoken with the front office.

One person was under the impression that Loria might be the last member of the team hierarchy supporting Guillen, even though the manager angered him with a recent comment.

Loria was not happy when Guillen on Saturday implied that he cared more about going on vacation than whether he would be retained as manager: “The only thing I worry about, make sure that American Airlines plane is ready for Madrid on Thursday.’’

Earlier Thursday, ESPN’s Buster Olney tweeted that the “Marlins are aggressively seeking a replacement for Ozzie Guillen.’’

Guillen told reporters after Wednesday’s season finale, which left Miami 69-93 and in last place in the NL East for the second consecutive year, that he expected to keep his job.

Loria also is considering changes to the coaching staff, possibly as soon as this weekend. Loria leaves Sunday for Europe, but it’s unclear whether he’ll make a decision about Guillen and the coaches before he departs.

The Marlins’ front office was supposed to meet with Loria in New York on Thursday to review the season and discuss changes for next year. But that meeting was postponed to Oct. 25.

There is speculation among sources close to the team that the meeting was moved so a new manager could attend.

One possible scenario has the Marlins firing bench coach Joey Cora, Guillen’s long-time confidant. Several players have complained about working with Cora, a team source said.

Guillen told the front office in spring training, the source said, that he would quit if the team ever tried to fire any of his coaches over his objections. Guillen is owed $7.5 million over the next three years of his contract, but he would not be paid if he quit.

Several members of the Marlins have complained to top team officials that Guillen is not the right man to manage the club because he does not do it with “integrity and professionalism,’’ a source said.

Among their complaints: the constant clubhouse presence of Guillen’s three adult sons; Guillen’s frequent references to not being worried about anything because “I got my money;” and his constant cursing.

“To me, that’s not who you want to represent the face of the organization,’’ one team source said.

During one game earlier in the season, third baseman Hanley Ramirez kicked away a potential double-play grounder for an error. Some on the team were dismayed to see Guillen with his hands over his mouth, laughing, a source said.

Some on the team even complained about religious artifacts that Guillen displays in his office, including a model of a skull. Guillen, whose religion is Santeria, displayed artifacts in his office when he managed the Chicago White Sox.

When the Marlins started sinking in the standings, one Marlins employee jokingly said of Guillen, “He’s got the team cursed.’’

Guillen set the tone for his rocky season in April when he made sympathetic comments to Time magazine about Cuban dictator Fidel Castro. The comments resulted in a five-game suspension ordered by the team.

Guillen on Wednesday made a brief reference to that episode.

“Do I have any regrets about this year? Yes, about the guy comments. That’s it. Losing games, that’s part of the game,’’ Guillen said.

Guillen said he was looking forward to going to Spain “where people don’t know baseball, they don’t know who I am.”

He reiterated that he wasn’t worried about possibly losing his job.

“Am I going to lose sleep over that or worry on my vacation and be having dinner with my wife talking about will you be in Miami next year?” he said. “Ain’t going to happen.

“I don’t want to sound arrogant. I don’t want to sound cocky (or) over-secure. Because in my job, what I did this year, do you think I deserve to be back here? Of course not …

“If get fired my life will continue. If I don’t get fired, I guarantee you I have to make this team better. That’s all I care about. …

“How that is going to happen? Working harder, maybe teaching a little bit more, maybe know the players a little bit better, maybe expect better things out of the players. There’s a lot of things. But I don’t worry about getting fired.”
                              Sources: Ozzie Guillen’s job in jeopardy as some with Miami Marlins condemn his managerial style
                              Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 10-05-2012, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X