West Benefiting from New-look Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluff Piece: West Benefiting from New-look Change

HOUSTON -- Demotions can be upsetting and painful at the time a player is sent down, but some good can come out of them when handled properly.

Thus far, it looks as if Marlins rookie Sean West made the most of his nearly four-week stint at Double-A Jacksonville. The 23-year-old, who was optioned after a rough outing at Arizona on July 11, was recalled and inserted into the rotation on Aug. 8.

The primary reason West was sent down was to polish up his changeup and slider. The 6-foot-8 left-hander has a fastball in the 94-mph range, so velocity isn't an issue. What was hurting him was the lack of command on his offspeed pitches. Once word was out that he was only throwing his fastball for strikes, big league hitters waited on the pitch and did some damage.

West has shown improvement with his offspeed pitches in his two starts since returning to the big league club. On Aug. 8 at Philadelphia, he worked four innings, but had pretty good stuff in a no-decision. He struck out four and walked two that day, giving up three runs (two earned). A high pitch count, 93 pitches, led to an early exit. The Marlins did pull out a win that day.

On Thursday, West collected a win, beating the Astros at Land Shark Stadium. The lefty was solid in six innings, allowing one run on five hits. He didn't walk a batter and he struck out three. The changeup was effective, as he threw 92 pitches, 62 for strikes.

"I was pretty satisfied with it," West said of his changeup. "I was trying to go seven [innings]. I wanted to kind of pick the bullpen up. I threw a lot of changeups. That was my go-to pitch."

"The two weeks [in the Minors], I was really, really comfortable with [the changeup]," he said. "That was one of my best pitches when I first got drafted. That was my out pitch. But my slider has come a long way since then.

"The fastball is there. Those are the two pitches you focused on between starts [slider and changeup]. In the bullpen, that's what I was focusing on more, the changeups. It's going to be a good pitch for me later on down the road."

In his two August starts, West is 1-0 with a 2.70 ERA in 10 innings. He has seven strikeouts and two walks. It's a big contrast from his numbers in two July starts, when he was 0-2 (8.44 ERA), and allowed 10 earned runs in 10 2/3 innings. He walked seven and struck out three in those games.

West grew up in Spring, Texas, in the Houston area. He grew up following the Astros, and even ran the bases as a kid at the Astrodome. Now, he will make his first start ever in Texas.

About 35-50 of his family and friends are expected to watch the start.

"I saw a few games in the Astrodome," West said. "I never saw one here at Minute Maid." He'll likely have to make some adjustments on Wednesday, because he is drawing successive starts against the same team. The Marlins take on the Astros in the second of three games at Minute Maid Park. After winning 6-2 on Tuesday, they are in position to take the series.

In Tuesday's victory, the Marlins extended their streak of collecting at least 10 hits to 14 straight games. The last team to have more is the 1937 St. Louis Browns, who had 15. The Major League record is 18.
    West benefiting from new-look change

its going to be interesting to see how West pitches tonight because the Astros just faced him a couple days ago.
    Last edited by jonathan2323; 08-19-2009, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jonathan2323 View Post
      it going to be interesting how West pitches tonight because the Astros just faced him a couple days ago.
      Yeah...just like they faced Nolasco.

Comment

The thing that scares me the most with West against the Astros tonight is the Crawford Boxes. With West being a lefty, they're going to stack the lineup with righties. We saw yesterday how what would be a flyout to left ends up as a homer there (Cantu's homer found the first row and would have stayed in the park in any other ballpark). He needs to keep the ball down or this could get really ugly.

Comment

Oops
          God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
          - Daft

Comment

he isnt throwing 94mph
            Originally posted by Matt Wilson
            Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
            Tom Koehler(4-0)
            AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

Aside from insisting on having a lefty in the rotation, I would still rather take my chances with RVH now that Anibal is coming back (and assuming he sticks).

Both West and RVH are about 5-inning guys, but for me RVH's better swing-and-miss stuff makes him a more promising alternative right now. Even though he got tagged for a ridiculous 3 HRs in his last start, it is still hard to ignore that after 5 innings he had K'ed 9while only walking one (even the 9:3 K:BB he finished the game with isn't too shabby).

While he is a flyball pitcher, and consequently will likely always be prone to giving up his fair share of HRs, it doesn't seem likely that the absurdly high HR rate he's currently sporting will persist, particularly given his pretty impressive ability to miss bats. And overall he has made progress with his control as well. The thing with RVH, though, has been that things seem to unravel fairly quickly for him when he reaches his fatigue point.

Comment

Working...
              X