Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marlins Looking to Add Another Bat? Possibly Sheffield?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Joel Sherman's Twitter:
    Just for clarification, i know giants claimed sheff on waivers, but sheff irrationally was tellng mets he wanted to be traded home to fla.

Comment

Come home Sheff!

Comment

bring back '97. Livan and Sheff

Comment

He's been pulled back on waivers, almost impossible to say he'll be traded now. I guess we just hope he's serious about (1) wanting to come back here and (2) wanting the Mets to release him.

Comment

Man I was looking at Sheffield's stats. what the hell happened to him while he was a Marlin?

Pre-marlin BB%: 7.6% (in 93 before being traded, he had a 6.5% for the Padres)
            '93: 10.9% (as already noted, that's over a 4% increase after the trade)
            '94: 13.7%
            '95: 20.5%
            '96: 21.5%
            '97: 21.4%
            '98: 16%
            As a dodger and brave: 14.8%
            Nyy-present: 12.2%

I mean, the quickest thing would be to say "more power = more walking". But his LAD-ATL days were just as powerful as his Marlins days, and he had posted a .250 ISO for the padres the year before he was traded. Yet his highest non-Marlins BB% is just 16.8%. And his ATL-LAD days were still in his prime, given back end of his prime. I mean, you can use the slower bat speed/less power arguement for his nyy-present numbers. But he was just as much of a beast for ATL and LAD as he was for us.

Was wondering if it had anything to do with the hitting coach, as our teams in those days were filled with high BB% guys. But all I can find out is that Milt May was the hitting coach from '97-'98. I didn't think this kinda stuff would be so hard to find.

Comment

Only other thing to throw out is he became a "cleanup" hitter in LA when he left here; batted 4-5 for the Yankees and 3/4/5 for the Braves. Here he was in the 3 hole all the time. Not that it would account for that great a discrepancy, but I'm sure the 3 hole itself just has a built in respect factor (especially in the NL) which translates to more walks.

Not saying I necessarily believe it, just trying to account for a possible variable in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
                But all I can find out is that Milt May was the hitting coach from '97-'98. I didn't think this kinda stuff would be so hard to find.
                We are looking to address this problem.

Comment

Working...
                X