Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marlins Looking to Add Another Bat? Possibly Sheffield?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumor: Marlins Looking to Add Another Bat? Possibly Sheffield?

THE Mets pulled Gary Sheffield off waivers last week when he was claimed by an unidentified team. This means Sheffield cannot be traded for the remainder of the season. He can be placed on waivers again, but this time, the Mets would not be able to negate a claim.

This means that they would lose their most professional hitter left standing for nothing by going that route, not even financial relief, since the Mets are only paying him $400,000 for the season after the Tigers released him toward the end of spring training.

Still, even given that set of circumstances, Sheffield told The Post last night that he does not expect to finish the year in a Mets uniform and he might not even finish the year in major league uniform, period.

"Based on what I know now, no, I do not think I will be here," Sheffield said before the Mets' 9-4 victory over the Braves at Citi Field. "But if I am sent to a team that I don't want to play for, I would go home.

"I have to look at everything. People always say they are going to do the right thing for you, but sometimes it doesn't work out that way. If I don't take care of myself, who will? That's what I focus on."

Sheffield, who went 3-for-5 with two doubles and two RBIs in the Mets' eight-run, 10-hit fourth inning, has been taking care of himself and his teammates all season. He's batting .290 with 10 homers and 43 RBIs in 245 at-bats. He certainly would be a formidable weapon for a contender in need of a right-handed bat.

According to industry sources, Florida and Texas are in search of such a commodity. As an NL team, the Marlins, for whom Sheffield played from 1993 to 1998, would get their shot at a claim before the Rangers.
    http://www.nypost.com/seven/08192009...ets_185337.htm

Man, one more bat could put us over the top.

What's Sheffield's fielding numbers?

Comment

i hope your comment at the end is sarcasm
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by FishFanInPA View Post
        What's Sheffield's fielding numbers?
        http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...on=OF#fielding
        --------------------
        Originally posted by markotsay7 View Post
        i hope your comment at the end is sarcasm
        What? About adding another good bat? I meant put us over the top in that it could make us the favorites to win the WC.
        Last edited by m26555; 08-19-2009, 11:15 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Weird that Sheff was claimed last week, then pulled back. The Mets could have gotten a decent bat for him. Now they would get nada.

Then again, the Mets may not put him on waivers again.

Comment

That's a lot of negative numbers in his fielding categories.

Comment

That's a lot of negative numbers in his fielding categories.
              Yeah well that was pretty much expected. The guy is already 40.

Comment

I dont think we neccesarily NEED him
                STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

CC moves to right and Sheff goes to LF is what would probably happen. Basically replacing Hermida with Sheff who has a .855 OPS in that pitcher paradise they call Citi field.

(not sure how Hermida and Sheff match up defensively)
                  Last edited by MiamiHomer; 08-19-2009, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Hermida has been playing awesome recently
                    --------------------
                    Last 19 games (80AB) .313/.380/.425
                    Last edited by Ramp; 08-19-2009, 12:16 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Yes I love Herm in the 8th spot. I think it has FINALLY lit a fire under his ass.
                      --------------------
                      It would make a wonderful story though, like when we got Conine back in '03
                      Last edited by BigGameFish; 08-19-2009, 12:22 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                      STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

i wouldn't mind it, but the team is so hot offensively that they dont need him.

Then again Hemida will start sucking so we should get him.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGameFish View Post
                          I dont think we neccesarily NEED him
                          We don't, but adding another bat would just be a luxury.
                          --------------------
                          Anyway, if not Sheffield, what other right-handed bats are out there? Maybe Jonny Gomes?
                          Last edited by m26555; 08-19-2009, 12:53 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Re: That's a lot of negative numbers in his offensive categories.

Comment

I would faint. Too bad it's made so much sense for the last 3 years and it just won't happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X