Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cubs farm system is terrible so yes, it would be a dump.
    Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
    Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
    Noah Perio
    Jupiter
    39 AB
    15 H
    0 2B
    0 3B
    0 HR
    0 BB
    .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Spending less on pitching and more on hitting would be nice.

JJ should go. I'd trade Buehrle too if the right deal comes along; I never liked his contract.

Comment

• It's pretty interesting to think if they trade Buerhle. The Marlins would be fielding a team in 2014 (Im skipping 2013 impending ridiculousness) that looks like

C - Brantly
        1B - Morrison
        2B - Bonifacio
        SS - Reyes
        3B -
        LF - Yelich
        CF - Ruggiano
        RF - Stanton
        B - Solano, Cox, ___, ___, ____

SP - ___, ____, Turner, Fernandez, Eovaldi
        RP - Cishek, and the collection of gaggles (Ramos, Jennings, Hatcher, Reed, Caminero, whoever)

Key part of this is, that above is $50 million in payroll with only Reyes and (god willingly) Stanton on the books moving forward. Throw in a top prospect for JJ, some relievers for Buerhle, Nolasco, and Buck, and is payroll $80? $90? and that might resemble a baseball team with some free agents.

Although they could also they could just keep Buerhle (payroll $68), get the 3B with JJ from someone, buy another SP, bench, and a veteran RHP and LHP with the remaining payroll and field something really good for $90.

As fucked up as these idiots are, you got to hand it to them for "flexibility." Ditching Hanley and a lot of Bell did open some stuff up.
        --------------------
        Edit: Add $2.5 to everything for Ozzie. face palm
        --------------------
        Originally posted by Erick View Post
        Spending less on pitching and more on hitting would be nice.

JJ should go. I'd trade Buehrle too if the right deal comes along; I never liked his contract.
        Well this is a problem because look at the "team" I just posted.

Where are you spending on hitting. Note, Ozuna is the top hitter in the system pursuant to that hypothetical 25 man, so even if Ruggiano is moved to bench and Yelich CF, next man in is still not something to spend on. No free agent 3B are out there, we gotta imagine JJ is the 3B whether it's Olt or some other asshole. Can't spend there unless it's god forbid an idiotic A-Rod move.

They can ditch Morrison and buy an expensive as shit 1B? There are no 2B of note to supercharge the position once the Yankees give Cano hundreds of millions.

They just don't have the room to spend on hitting based on a legitimate roster of young guys who can turn into above average players.
        Last edited by lou; 10-24-2012, 09:23 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
          It's pretty interesting to think if they trade Buerhle. The Marlins would be fielding a team in 2014 (Im skipping 2013 impending ridiculousness) that looks like

C - Brantly
          1B - Morrison
          2B - Bonifacio
          SS - Reyes
          3B -
          LF - Yelich
          CF - Ruggiano
          RF - Stanton
          B - Solano, Cox, ___, ___, ____

SP - ___, ____, Turner, Fernandez, Eovaldi
          RP - Cishek, and the collection of gaggles (Ramos, Jennings, Hatcher, Reed, Caminero, whoever)

Key part of this is, that above is $50 million in payroll with only Reyes and (god willingly) Stanton on the books moving forward. Throw in a top prospect for JJ, some relievers for Buerhle, Nolasco, and Buck, and is payroll $80? $90? and that might resemble a baseball team with some free agents.

Although they could also they could just keep Buerhle (payroll $68), get the 3B with JJ from someone, buy another SP, bench, and a veteran RHP and LHP with the remaining payroll and field something really good for $90.

As fucked up as these idiots are, you got to hand it to them for "flexibility." Ditching Hanley and a lot of Bell did open some stuff up.
          --------------------
          Edit: Add $2.5 to everything for Ozzie. face palm
          --------------------

Well this is a problem because look at the "team" I just posted.

Where are you spending on hitting. Note, Ozuna is the top hitter in the system pursuant to that hypothetical 25 man, so even if Ruggiano is moved to bench and Yelich CF, next man in is still not something to spend on. No free agent 3B are out there, we gotta imagine JJ is the 3B whether it's Olt or some other asshole. Can't spend there unless it's god forbid an idiotic A-Rod move.

They can ditch Morrison and buy an expensive as shit 1B? There are no 2B of note to supercharge the position once the Yankees give Cano hundreds of millions.

They just don't have the room to spend on hitting based on a legitimate roster of young guys who can turn into above average players.

I don't think we'd spend to the point of buying something like an "expensive as shit 1B" anytime soon.

What I meant was maybe wait a year to see how the team develops in '13.

Hopefully they trade JJ and get some value in return regardless of position.

I'm not sold on Yelich being ready by '14 although it's possible. Either way, it'd be better if he could play LF and not CF.

Jacoby Ellsbury is a free agent after '13; I think he'd be interesting.

Perhaps spend on productive versatility. A guy like Martin Prado, maybe? Could certainly fill a hole at 2B, 3B, LF...depending on what your needs are at the time.

And what I meant was that it seems easier to acquire cheap pitching. The whole "buy bats, develop pitching" thing, I'd like to see us do that.

I'd like to see us do what Oakland did.
          They developed/traded for strike throwers, paid for some bats and put together some very good platoons at certain positions.

Comment

• Well yea, it would be awesome if our front office had any vision like Oakland and would do that.

But they won't

Comment

• The more I think about it the more I am liking the idea of getting rid of Johnson. Get rid of him now while he still maybe has the prospect worth. He could suck next year and then we would get nothing for him. Trade him to Boston for Jackie Bradley and Matt Barnes and a third piece. Try and trade Ricky. If not, oh well. I would keep Buehrle for now and then trade him at the deadline for a team that needs a veteran. Sign a stop gate center fielder (Grady Sizemore? and third baseman (Eric Chavez?) I would also like to see them give Coghlan in Spring Training every chance to show that there is anything left of 2009 Chris Coghlan. If not, then cut ties with him. If they go by this plan, they will still need to find a long-term third baseman (assuming Cox sucks) and second baseman.

2014 rotation:
              Jacob Turner
              Jose Fernandez
              Matt Barnes
              Brad Hand
              Eovaldi/LeBlanc/Sanabia

2014 lineup:
              Boni
              Bradley
              Jose
              Stanton
              Morrison
              Yelich
              Brantly
              3B?
              P
              LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
                2014 rotation:
                Jacob Turner
                Jose Fernandez
                Matt Barnes
                Brad Hand
                Eovaldi/LeBlanc/Sanabia

2014 lineup:
                Boni
                Bradley
                Jose
                Stanton
                Morrison
                Yelich
                Brantly
                3B?
                P

There's no way that 2014 squad doesn't win the World Series.

Comment

• It's a start.
                  LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
                    The more I think about it the more I am liking the idea of getting rid of Johnson. Get rid of him now while he still maybe has the prospect worth. He could suck next year and then we would get nothing for him. Trade him to Boston for Jackie Bradley and Matt Barnes and a third piece.
                    Josh Johnson's value is nowhere near that high.
                    He's a pitcher with durability issues and one year left on his contract.

Comment

• The plan seems to try and get rid of all the big contracts except Reyes and possible Buehrle(If they got a ML ready SP in an offer he could be dealt) by 2014

JJ to someone for either a Top Prospect or a package of young ML ready guys that they can use. As soon as Anibal and Grienke are OFF the market alot of teams are gonna be making a play for him.

3B is a hole however keep in mind there are 2 college 3B in this years draft. Maybe 2015 they are ready?

Just know 2013 means NOTHING. 2013 will be develop our young guys and see who can help in 2014,get rid of salary and hopefully not be to embrassing(since Jeff still needs to fill his stadium)

Comment

• Good to know we'll have a 3B by 2015. Maybe.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                          Just know 2013 means NOTHING. 2013 will be develop our young guys and see who can help in 2014,get rid of salary and hopefully not be to embrassing(since Jeff still needs to fill his stadium)
                          No one is going next year. No one. It's going to be unbelievably empty.

Comment

• I'll probably go a few times.

Comment

• "Jeff"

Comment

• "Joff"
                                This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

Working...
                                X