Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marlins Prospect Jose Fernandez Has a Chance to Make Miami’s Rotation Next Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins Prospect Jose Fernandez Has a Chance to Make Miami’s Rotation Next Season

Jose Fernandez, the Marlins’ top pitching prospect, has a chance to win a championship Wednesday night with the Class A Jupiter Hammerheads in his first full season in professional baseball.

He’s hoping to do it again next season — with the Miami Marlins.

Fernandez’s rapid ascent through two low minor-league levels this season has elevated his name into front-office discussions about the composition of the Marlins’ starting rotation in 2013.

He almost certainly will start the season at Class AA Jacksonville. But if he dominates Southern League hitters the way he did batters this season in the South Atlantic and Florida State leagues, the Marlins could promote him as early as May or June.

“When I signed I told myself I wanted to get there when I was 21, but you never know what’s going to happen,’’ Fernandez said Monday, a day after he tossed five scoreless innings in his final start of the year to help Jupiter take a 2-1 lead in the FSL finals. Lakeland won 5-3 on Tuesday night to force a fifth and deciding game in the series Wednesday night.

“It’s my dream. I want to be one of the greatest pitchers in history, but I’m just going to keep trying to get better, and when I get there it will be because I’m ready.’’

Fernandez turns 21 on July 31. But the Marlins won’t rush him, even though they are eager to retool after a disastrous season.

The Marlins have taken steps to protect him by limiting his innings to no more than five per start. But Fernandez – drafted at 19 out of Tampa’s Alonso High School in 2011, three years after he defected from Cuba on a raft — has proven to be a winner so far.

He started the season 7-0 with a 1.59 ERA in 14 starts with Class A Greensboro, earning a promotion to Jupiter in late June. With the Hammerheads, he went 7-1 with a 1.96 ERA in 11 starts.

He has made two postseason starts, allowing a run in 10 innings.

“There’s a big learning curve in that first professional season for anyone and he has had that,’’ Hammerheads manager Andy Haines said.

“But with the performance he has had and as much as we have protected him with his innings in the second half, you can still see him getting stronger and getting better as the year went on, and that’s not very common for a first-year professional.’’

With experience, he is expected to become more efficient with his pitches, including a change-up, curve and a fastball that touches 98 mph.

Fernandez is aware of the hype surrounding him as the Marlins’ most exciting pitching prospect since Josh Beckett.

Beckett, who was drafted with the second overall pick in 1999 at 19, debuted in 2001 – less than four months after his 21st birthday — and was MVP of the World Series in 2003.

“That’s what I come every day to the park for — to get to the big leagues,’’ Fernandez said.

Fernandez said he spoke with the Marlins’ Jeffrey Loria when the owner visited Jupiter before the first FSL playoff game.

“He came over to me and said: ‘Just do everything you do. Don’t do anything different because everybody is here. Just pitch and have fun,’ ’’ Fernandez recalled.

When he is not playing baseball, he enjoys fishing from the Juno Beach pier, where he has had to set down his rod to sign autographs.

“The first time he paid with his credit card and I said, ‘I thought that was you!’ ’’ said Candy Molitor, the pier manager and Marlins fan.

Fernandez will spend this offseason as he did last winter, working out in the Tampa area with 40-year-old Philadelphia Phillies reliever Jose Contreras and retired pitcher Rolando Arrojo, 44. Both are, like Fernandez, natives of Cuba.

“They tell me ‘Just keep working. You will get there. Your stuff is good enough to make it and you will be successful,’ ’’ Fernandez said. “When people like that tell me that, I just want to work hard and get better.’’
    Marlins prospect Jose Fernandez has a chance to make Miami’s rotation next season

I'm all in to have in the starting rotation. However, I would not call him up so early unless he is absolutely lights out (like he's been the past month). I am really hoping we can keep JJ and trade Nolasco.

We also have to do something with Brad Hand, you either trade him or give him a shot at the rotation.

We seem to have excess starting pitchers, which is great for us.

Yelich is another guy who I expect to be up here next year at the same time as Fernandez, which is why I want LoMo to play 1B and not Lee.
    Last edited by Big Z; 09-13-2012, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Fernandez turns 21 on July 31
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Z View Post
        We seem to have excess starting pitchers, which is great for us.
        I don't know if I agree. They have guys, but not necessarily excess because those guys are all 4/5s or unpredictable rookies.

Johnson and Nolasco are off the books in 2013, and it is only a matter of time before Eovaldi moves to the pen to hopefully become next David Hernandez.

Hand and LeBlanc are probably 5s, not really something to plug in and let rip. More like acceptable options for a mediocre team. I do agree though, they are worth the flier to see if a "kyle loshe" situation develops and they can hold it down unspectacularly.

Which leaves Buerhle for 3 more and Turner for right now, and Fernandez as the likely only "surefire" (if that exists) SP candidates. Conley, James, and Heaney are likely years away as legitimate rotation candidates.

For 2013, Johnson, Buerhle, Nolasco, Turner, and LeBlanc/Eovaldi with other in pen and Hand in AAA, Fernandez AA, is a really solid depth chart.

2014, Buerhle, Turner, Fernandez, Leblanc/Hand, and _____. Could be Eovaldi, could be the other of Leblanc/Hand, could be Conley is he holds it together (I think he goes pen too). But is this a playoff rotation? I mean, Turner and Fernandez could be great and Buerhle is solid, but whats the best case LeBlanc/Hand, a poor mans Buerhle? Rely for 380 innings on two really young players? They need Johnson here or a legitimate starter.

2015 - Buerhle, Fernandez, Turner, and I think it's a toss up if LeBlanc, Hand, Eovaldi, Conley, C. James, and heaney work out for a solid 200 innings here. But, that is a lot of names, so maybe one of them can be the "5" penciled in this year. Still this leaves a hole for that "top of rotation" guy or a really good 200 innings.

What I'm trying to say is, they are going to need 1 more SP. I would like to see them do one of these this offseason:

A - Ditch Nolasco (which could mean bullpen), sign Anibal/E. jackson/McCarthy if he is healthy, to a 3 year deal this offseason

or

B - Extend Johnson 2-3 seasons

That would cover the team moving forward and give them an honest shot on paper at having a great rotation if fernandez and turner both work out, and they can get innings from someone of leblanc, hand, etc moving forward as the 5.

Comment

Don't forget that we are looking at a top 8 pick in the 2013 draft and have a great chance to pick up a ML ready college pitcher with front of the line stuff. A Mark Appel or Ryne Stanek would plug in nicely to that 2015 rotation.

Comment

Appel would be amazatron
            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

IF he does come up in 2013 it would be later so his "clock" does not start early. The plan for him is to pitch 2013 in the minors on a pitch limit like this year and 2014 be in the rotation

As for the 2013 Draft don't get your hopes up for a pitcher with our #1 pick(Should be #6 or #7). The draft is gonna look like this

1 Houston-Takes whatever SP will sign (Appel,Stanek,Manaea)
              2 Cubs-Picks between the 2 SP Houston doesn't pick(Appel,Stanek,Manaea)
              3 Colorado-Who knows?(Meadows,Appel,Stanek,Manaea)
              4 Minnesota-Wants a SP bad(Appel,Stanek,Manaea)
              5 Cleveland-Who knows?
              6 Miami-This should leave us more or likely with our choice of OF Austin Wilson,3B Kris Bryant,3B Colin Moran,or another advanced bat that will sign for slot which seems to be a big thing with Loria.

Also a name to look out for in Round 2/2s/3 is HS RHP Hunter Harvey. He is another one of Bryan Harvey's kids.
              --------------------
              Brad Hand is seen by ALOT in the organization as a 4/5 starter who will be able to eat innings plus he is a lefty . The "projection" that alot of baseball people see for us in 2014 is

Buehrle
              ?
              Fernandez
              Turner
              Hand

Hand could tho be OUT if we ever make a trade with Minnesota. Like I said at the deadline,we like Denard Span to play CF however Minnesota who needs ML Ready SP wants Hand in ANY deal that make so if we did make a deal with them he would be included.
              Last edited by tjfla; 09-13-2012, 12:20 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

If those 3B are top 10 worthy, they need to take that guy in the draft and hope hes a quick mover.

I'd trade Hand in a package in a millisecond for Span.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                  If those 3B are top 10 worthy, they need to take that guy in the draft and hope hes a quick mover.

I'd trade Hand in a package in a millisecond for Span.
                  Ya so would I but would be alot more than just Hand for him.

As for Top 10 worthy,it just happens that this year 2 of the Top 3 College bats are 3B. Bryant is 6'5 220 so prolly would move off 3B if gets bigger and Moran has a nice bat but is known for his glove too. 1 is big power while the other is a gap guy with a nice glove
                  Last edited by tjfla; 09-13-2012, 02:01 PM.

Comment

If they get Span, and they have Ruggiano, Yelich and Stanton controlled for years, I see no reason Ozuna can't be chucked into that deal, and give them another RP prospect they like. Worth it. Span will cost half as much as BJ/Bourn in free agency which would allow the team to invest in SP and a stopgap opposite Bonifacio 2B/3B.

Comment

I really hope they don't stand pat this off season. Get rid of Nolasco, Bell and Buck.

Place LoMo at 1B, acquire a CF (Span for Hand), put Boni at 2B, acquire someone to play 3B through FA or trade and compete next year.

I don't know what to think of Turner and Eovaldi either. Eovaldi has no control and Turner reminds me of Volstad.

I'd love to re-sign Anibal if he takes $8-9 mil/yr. He's a legit #3, unlike Nolasco. No idea why he was ever ahead of Anibal.

I am also all in for giving Ruggiano a shot to start in LF. If that doesn't pan out, you will hopefully have Yelich knocking on your door, ready to go.

Another thing, if we didn't have such a terrible reputation for firing managers so quickly, I would've fired Ozzie. I think he, along with some coaches, deserve to be fired given the performance of the team.
                      Last edited by Big Z; 09-13-2012, 05:07 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I hope we start Eovaldi in the minors next season. He clearly isn't ready.

Turner is showing good things. I don't see Volstad in him.

Comment

I see Porcello in Turner. I see a disaster in Eovaldi.

Comment

Eovaldi is gonna have to be moved to the bullpen it seems.

Comment

Fernandez only had 65 innings in Jupiter (including playoffs). I don't know if I'd feel comfortable with him jumping to Double-A already. No reason to rush him, especially if the team isn't going to compete.
                              LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Working...
                              X