No announcement yet.

Marlins Trade Gaby Sanchez to Pirates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hernandez's best tool is his center field defense. He has exceptional range, makes tough plays look easy and has a strong, accurate arm.
    if only he could hit a little

Comment

Pirates got sodomized here, boys.

Comment

Gorkys is quite possibly the best defensive OFer in baseball going by the numbers for the past several years. We're talking he should be worth about +20-30 runs out there

If he can put up a ~85-90 OPS+, he's a very nice starter. He'd basically be Franklin Gutierrez 2.0 (who has a 3.2 WAR per 600 PA in his career). However Franklin showed a lot better power in the minors, .280/.347/.451/.798 for Franklin and .281/.343/.377/.720 for Gorkys (Both being 18-24 and very similar in stops). Both also basically 0.4 BB/K rates.

So I don't have high hopes of him doing that, but if he can than yeah buddy. I would have liked to keep Gaby as a LHP stomper off the bench, but to get a comp #1 pick and one of the best defensive OFers in all of baseball for him is good. I likey
        Last edited by nny; 07-31-2012, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Gorkys will be out of options come Spring Training. Just something to keep in mind.
          LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

I don't think I'd seen this but apparently we dealt Kyle Kaminska in this deal as well. I wonder if his dad will drop by and give us some info.

The Pittsburgh Pirates today acquired infielder Gaby Sanchez and minor league pitcher Kyle Kaminska from the Miami Marlins in exchange for minor league outfielder Gorkys Hernandez and the club’s 2013 Competitive Balance Lottery Selection.

the club’s 2013 Competitive Balance Lottery Selection.
            The 28-year-old Sanchez hit .202 (37-for-183) with 10 doubles, three home runs, 17 RBI and 12 runs scored in 55 games this season for Miami. He also hit .302 (35-for-116) with seven doubles, five home runs, 18 RBI and 20 runs scored in 34 games for Triple-A New Orleans.

In 2011 Sanchez was named to the National League All-Star team. At the All-Star break he was hitting .293 with 22 doubles, 13 home runs, 50 RBI and 46 runs scored and was tied for first among National League first basemen in doubles, second in hits (100), fourth in on-base percentage (.374), tied for fourth in RBI, tied for sixth in home runs and seventh in batting average.

He finished the 2011 campaign second in the National League and fifth in the Majors among first basemen with a .996 fielding percentage after making just five errors in 1,368 total chances.

In 2010, Sanchez led all Major League rookies in doubles (37), RBI (85), extra base hits (59) and total bases (256). He also led all National League rookies in hits (156), finished third in runs (72) and walks (57) and tied for third in home runs (19). He finished fourth in National League Rookieof- the-Year voting.

Kaminska went a combined 6-4 with one save and a 5.20 ERA (53.2ip/31er) in 33 relief appearances this year for Double-A Jacksonville and Triple-A New Orleans. He was selected by the Marlins in the 25th round of the 2007 First-Year Player Draft.
            http://miami.scout.com/2/1207043.html
            --------------------
            oh, apparently there were like 6 posts I didn't see because I was on my phone earlier in which that was discussed. Carry on.
            Last edited by emkayseven; 07-31-2012, 10:11 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
            Originally posted by Madman81
            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
              Gorkys is quite possibly the best defensive OFer in baseball going by the numbers for the past several years. We're talking he should be worth about +20-30 runs out there

If he can put up a ~85-90 OPS+, he's a very nice starter. He'd basically be Franklin Gutierrez 2.0 (who has a 3.2 WAR per 600 PA in his career). However Franklin showed a lot better power in the minors, .280/.347/.451/.798 for Franklin and .281/.343/.377/.720 for Gorkys (Both being 18-24 and very similar in stops). Both also basically 0.4 BB/K rates.

So I don't have high hopes of him doing that, but if he can than yeah buddy. I would have liked to keep Gaby as a LHP stomper off the bench, but to get a comp #1 pick and one of the best defensive OFers in all of baseball for him is good. I likey
              He's the Matt Dominguez of the OF.

I think the way the Marlins see this, we potentially have acquired our starters for CF and 3B next season yesterday.

Comment

I also liked Kaminska because he has great minor league peripherals (Dat 4.02 career K/BB) but he always had bad ERAs compared to FIP because he's always had high BABIP

Career 3.60 FIP but 4.34 ERA thanks to .328 BABIP and 10.3 H/9.

I think he's still interesting and something nice to have in your system/add on to a low bearing trade but I doubt he'll be major league material. He'd just get hit way too hard.

Comment

I liked him because his dad poked around every now and again. Less so post-Teal and Black though.
                  Originally posted by Madman81
                  Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                  Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous View Post
                    I think the way the Marlins see this, we potentially have acquired our starters for CF and 3B next season yesterday.
                    Expect another gross season again next year, I guess.

Comment

One promising thing about Gorkys is that he seems to have become a much more patient in the minors this year.
                      Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                      Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                      Noah Perio
                      Jupiter
                      39 AB
                      15 H
                      0 2B
                      0 3B
                      0 HR
                      0 BB
                      .385/.385/.385

Comment

I am surprised Marlins1 has not dropped by to comment on this.
                        Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                        Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                        Noah Perio
                        Jupiter
                        39 AB
                        15 H
                        0 2B
                        0 3B
                        0 HR
                        0 BB
                        .385/.385/.385

Comment

TIL I learned the Marlins traded Gaby Sanchez last week.

/devoted fan
                          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Working...
                          X