Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marlins Take Series After 8-6 Victory Over Dodgers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postgame: Marlins Take Series After 8-6 Victory Over Dodgers.

We always enjoy our time in Hanleywood.

5-1 roadtrip. Way to get things going again after that horrendous series with the Sillies.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Have to be confident coming into the homestand
      God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
      - Daft

Comment

Hopefully the Phillies start losing some games.
        I wouldn't be caught dead with a necrophiliac!

Comment

3 with ATL and 3 with the Cubs...perfect opportunity to close in on some teas in the WC hunt.

Comment

nice to see some bats warm up.
            Originally posted by Matt Wilson
            Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
            Tom Koehler(4-0)
            AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

The pitching this road trip was fantabulous.
              I wouldn't be caught dead with a necrophiliac!

Comment

Huge series win. We were so close to a sweep, too.

Comment

LOS ANGELES -- There were a couple of ejections, but overall, the Marlins had little to be dejected about on Sunday afternoon at Dodger Stadium.

Behind Hanley Ramirez's three RBIs and Dan Uggla's 17th homer of the season, the Marlins held off the Dodgers, 8-6, for a bounce-back victory in front of 48,597 who witnessed a spirited game.

Chris Volstad (8-9) labored through 5 1/3 innings, but still was able to improve to 3-0 this season and 4-0 in his career in starts in the state of California. The 22-year-old opened the road trip with a win in San Diego (Monday), and he's also won in San Francisco (July 8).

After losing, 4-3, on Saturday night, the Marlins ended up taking two of three against the Dodgers, and five of six on the road trip.

"To come on this road trip and face the team with the best record in baseball and take two out of three at their place, you couldn't ask for a better road trip," said catcher John Baker, who had an RBI double. "Six games would have been fantastic, but when does that ever really happen?"

The game was hard-fought, with the Marlins dominating the early innings, building an eight-run lead, before the Dodgers made it a two-run game in the ninth inning on RBI singles from Andre Ethier and James Loney off Leo Nunez.

Both benches received warnings in the sixth in a game that featured four batters being hit by pitches. Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez and reliever Burke Badenhop were each ejected in the seventh over a hit-batter incident.

With the Marlins ahead by eight runs in the top of the sixth, home-plate umpire Bob Davidson levied warnings after Jeff Weaver plunked Ramirez on his back with a fastball. On the pitch before, Weaver buzzed the All-Star shortstop with a 91-mph fastball. The next pitch, a 90-mph fastball, bounced off Ramirez's back.

Davidson immediately warned both teams. On Friday night, Marlins right-hander Josh Johnson struck Manny Ramirez and Russell Martin with pitches.

In the seventh inning, some tension resurfaced when Badenhop struck Orlando Hudson with a first-pitch fastball.

Badenhop was tossed, as was Gonzalez, who by rule also had to go. Bench coach Carlos Tosca managed the rest of the way.

"It's up to the umpires whether there is a warning or an ejection, and I think the safe way is to go with a warning," Gonzalez said. "I thought that [Weaver] missed him one time."

Gonzalez made it a point to say the Marlins, with the big lead, weren't showing the Dodgers up.

"We play the game the right way. I understand we've got an eight-run lead, or whatever. But we're not stealing bases, hit-and-running," Gonzalez said. "We play the game the right way, and for [Weaver] to do that, in that situation, that puts everybody in a situation where it's not good baseball the rest of the game. That's all I'm going to say about that."

Ramirez, the National League's leading hitter with a .348 batting average, felt Weaver intended to hit him.

"That's the game. There is nothing I can say about that," Ramirez said. "Everybody knows I got hit on purpose. Even their team. I don't know why. But I'm still playing my game. It's not going to change anything for me."

Badenhop smacking Hudson with a pitch sent a signal that the Marlins were protecting Ramirez, their superstar. Florida teammates congratulated Badenhop when he returned to the dugout.

"It was an inside fastball to Hudson, and I just kind of yanked it," Badenhop said. "You still have got to pitch your game [even with warnings]. The guys in the 'pen came and backed me up.

"I'm sure they don't like to see Hanley get hit. But it is what it is, I guess, just a yanked fastball."

After the ejections, the Dodgers stormed back from eight runs down to raise the drama.

In the sixth inning the Dodgers scored four runs off Volstad, who exited after issuing a two-run homer to Martin. It was the 21st home run the right-hander has allowed in 21 starts. James Loney had a two-run double in the inning.

Although Volstad kept the Dodgers scoreless through five innings, it was a struggle. He was assisted by three double plays, and he walked four.

"I was falling behind a lot," Volstad said. "I was able to make some good pitches when I needed to. The double plays were huge for me."

Of the Marlins' 11 hits, eight were for extra bases. Uggla connected on a home run, and they added a season-high seven doubles. The franchise record for doubles is eight, done four different times.

Sunday also marked the first time the Marlins have been able to beat veteran right-hander Jason Schmidt, who is now 8-1 while facing Florida.

The Marlins gained a measure of revenge, scoring five runs (four earned) off Schmidt, who exited after three-plus innings.

Schmidt didn't have command of his curveball, and that hurt him.

"Today, I really didn't have anything that I could go to, to get the ball over so it makes for a tough day," the right-hander said.

Uggla opened the fourth inning with his first career home run at Dodger Stadium. It came on his 48th at-bat in Los Angeles, and the Marlins second baseman has now gone deep in 22 different ballparks in his four-year career.

"Like I always say, it's easier when we've got the whole team [contributing], and not just one guy," said Ramirez, who had a double and single. "It's way better when we've got the defense, pitching, offense."
                  http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=fla

Comment

Nice to see some fire with this team, guys are really clicking and hopefully that carries to the braves series.

the hopper is the best
                    Originally posted by Matt Wilson
                    Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
                    Tom Koehler(4-0)
                    AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

Jeff Weaver eats pieces of shit for breakfast.

Comment

fun series, almost wish we didn't have a day off

Comment

Ehe Jeff Dreamweaver has work

Comment

Working...
                          X