Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Locking Up Giancarlo Become a Priority Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you are letting your hatred for this front office cloud your thinking.

Comment

And my point is, why not? If they buy out just arbitration and he gets injured or shits the bed in 2014 or 2015 or 2016, he ruins his value. If the Marlins buy out 2 FA years for a fair price, say $15-18 million a year, he's guaranteed that money. That's what agents do. You see players sign extensions with shitty teams all the time, and it's because of the guaranteed money.
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

I mean, if Hanley doesn't return to form, signing that deal when he did was the smartest thing he ever could have done.

He's actually a great example of why Stanton should do it, not the opposite.
        --------------------
        I mean, sure, he got traded.

And yeah, he coulda controlled where he went if he hadn't signed that contract.

And made less money.
        Last edited by HUGG; 07-25-2012, 08:09 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Jason Bay signed a 4 year deal with the Pirates after 2005 and was traded halfway into year 3. That didn't stop Nate McLouth from signing an extension in Feburary 2009, and he was traded a few months later. And that didn't stop Andrew McCutchen from signing an extension before this year. AND THIS WAS WITH THE PIRATES. LIKE, THE WORST TEAM IN PROFESSIONAL SPORTS THE LAST 20 YEARS. Players want guaranteed money. Plain and simple.
          Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

It was the priority before the trade. At least it should've been.
            --------------------
            Originally posted by bell_virus.exe View Post
            Jason Bay signed a 4 year deal with the Pirates after 2005 and was traded halfway into year 3. That didn't stop Nate McLouth from signing an extension in Feburary 2009, and he was traded a few months later. And that didn't stop Andrew McCutchen from signing an extension before this year. AND THIS WAS WITH THE PIRATES. LIKE, THE WORST TEAM IN PROFESSIONAL SPORTS THE LAST 20 YEARS. Players want guaranteed money. Plain and simple.
            + everyone hated Hanley anyway, or so the media would lead one to believe.
            Last edited by Erick; 07-25-2012, 08:32 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I hope it does, but I think the fact that Stanton just can't seem to stay healthy is certainly going to play a factor in how much they're willing to offer him.

Comment

Extending Stanton would be a very easy way for the front office to instantly squash any talk of a fire sale. If they did it, they could say that they traded the player the fan base hated to extend the one that everyone loves. I think most would sympathize with that argument, myself included. It's not like Hanley's stock was that high here anyway.
                God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
                - Daft

Comment

Originally posted by Omar View Post
                  Extending Stanton would be a very easy way for the front office to instantly squash any talk of a fire sale. If they did it, they could say that they traded the player the fan base hated to extend the one that everyone loves. I think most would sympathize with that argument, myself included. It's not like Hanley's stock was that high here anyway.
                  If they trade JJ, they would need more than just that and to bring in two legit free agents, minimum. Likely CF and SP. I think that would shut up the casuals.

Comment

Working...
                  X