X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

id think he wouldnt approve a deal here

Comment

Originally posted by Sub Zero View Post
      You're right, we traded a top prospect for a reliever that may or may not have been the reason we won the World Series. Why not, then, trade a top prospect for a pitcher who is clearly superior and will be here next year?
      Because it would be trading more than one top prospect for said pitcher, who is much more expensive and who might not even approve a trade to us.

I also don't think that at the time, Adrian Gonzalez was as highly thought of as Stanton or Morrison.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your point, I just think it is enormously underselling both what Halladay can do and what we'd have to give up to get him by comparing him to Urbina.

Also, who says we will want to pay Halladay next year?
      poop

Comment

It's important to mention that mention of the Urbina trade was not comparison straight up but merely for a foundation of a deal we've done in the past containing one of our better hitting prospects. Furthermore, as to your point on Gonzalez, wasn't he the #1 pick overall?

I would think that if we trade for him this year it's for both this year and next. Also, I doubt he denies a trade here to be honest. We're a team in the thick of the chase for the playoffs with a pitcher friendly park, a non-psycho environment, and a team that already boosts one of the NL's two best players and a Cy Young candidate.
        God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
        - Daft

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Stokes more highly thought of than Gonzalez at the time?
          poop

Comment

Originally posted by Sub Zero View Post
            You're right, we traded a top prospect for a reliever that may or may not have been the reason we won the World Series. Why not, then, trade a top prospect for a pitcher who is clearly superior and will be here next year?
            Sub, ignoring the potential for trading Halladay after the 2009 if we were to get him, here's what payroll would look like with him. I'm taking the liberty of cutting a lot of the arbitration guys, and assuming the trade includes West as a piece that realistically could be on the 2010 squad from the get go.

C John Baker $415,000
            1B Gaby Sanchez $405,000
            2B Chris Coghlan $405,000
            3B Emilio Bonifacio $405,000
            SS Hanley Ramirez $7,000,000
            LF Hermida/Ross $4,000,000
            RF Brett Carroll $410,000
            CF Cameron Maybin $410,000
            B Wes Helms $950,000
            B Brett Hayes $400,000
            B John Raynor $400,000
            B Veteran 1B/OF $1,250,000
            B Veteran Bench $750,000

SP Roy Halladay $15,750,000
            SP Josh Johnson $5,000,000
            SP Ricky Nolasco $4,250,000
            SP Chris Volstad $415,000
            SP Andrew Miller $2,250,000
            RP Matt Lindstrom $1,250,000
            RP Leo Nunez $1,100,000
            RP Rick Vanden Hurk $410,000
            RP Burke Badenhop $410,000
            RP Ryan Tucker $400,000
            RP Dan Meyer $410,000
            RP Another Lefty $400,000

$49,245,000

We're talking an easy $50 million payroll even with trading Uggla, Ross/Hermida, Cantu, Amezaga, Anibal, Amezaga, Pinto, and Proctor off the island. You could nickel and dime this lineup a little with getting the bench cheaper, removing a SP and using something cheaper, or whatever, but this is a very expensive team for 2010. I still think my argument holds firm at $45 million. Maybe in 2011 they will approach $50, but you have to imagine $40 is the number for 2010 at the absolute most. And I can't see the Marlins devoting 40% of payroll to 220 innings pitched.

I say keep the farm, hope to god Uggla, Hermida, and the out of position 2B hit a bit more, and hope the SP and bullpen hold firm. If anything, trading a B SP prospect for Teahen is all I'd do.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
              If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Stokes more highly thought of than Gonzalez at the time?
              I think they were pretty neck and neck
              God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
              - Daft

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                5:51pm: MLB.com's Mark Sheldon says that Arroyo is indeed scheduled to start for the Reds tomorrow. Tuesday's starter had been listed as TBA in error.
                Just to clear that up.

Comment

If the FO believes the team is in this, they need to go out and shore up the rotation and lineup without regard to the cost (outside of Stanton and MAYBE Logan). If the FO doesn't believe the team can contend, they need to sell off those assets at their peak value (Ross, Kiko, to a lesser extent Cantu).

"Holding" and/or dealing for something like a LOOGY does nothing for the present and nothing for the future. There's absolutely no benefit whatsoever to keeping the team as is and hoping for rebounds from the current underperformers.

Comment

Willingham 3-4 with 2 HR 8 RBI's just sayin'

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                      good heavens

Comment

I remember when I told him he was gon be so great and then he was like, alright, well, spring trainings over, i gotta go to the minors

Comment

I wish the organization would swallow their pride and bring back Hammer.

Is Adam Dunn on the market? Hes got a 2 year 20 million dollar contract. He strikes out a lot, but he hits home runs, drives in runs, and gets on base (.402 OBP this season).

Also, Bobby Abreu's 1 year 5 million dollar contract makes me sick to my stomach.
                          I wouldn't be caught dead with a necrophiliac!

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                            Two grand salamis.

Comment

i want Hammer back so bad.
                              I wouldn't be caught dead with a necrophiliac!

Comment

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Go for broke, or don't do anything.

I would deal Cam, I would deal Stanton, I would deal West, I'd even deal Logan, just ravage our system if it means we get that elite starter to slot behind JJ and Nolasco and elite corner player to get that .299 OBP out of the lineup. We'd be so scary good it'd be worth it. We need to build up a winning goodwill heading into the stadium. Don't be stupid and deal Tucker for Arthur Rhodes (or his 2009 replacement).

Or, just say the hell with it, get whatever you can for Cantu and Uggla, move Coghlan to 2B, let Cam play the rest of '09 with the big club and prime Logan for a late August callup if Gaby can't handle 1B.

We either need to turn the roster over enough to get Cam, Logan and possibly Stanton some AB's or just fucking go for it.

That being said, I do hope we hang onto Hermida, I know it's been said about 458294 times, but he really looks like he's starting to get it, and that's exciting.

Comment

Working...
                                X