No announcement yet.

2009 Marlins Trade Deadline Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Despite late pushes from the Angels, Dodgers and Marlins, no deal could get done, according to ESPN.com's Jayson Stark.

Comment

• Didn't really have a need for him anyway.

Comment

• LOLOLOL
        I was hoping Albert Pujols was traded to us today for Emilio and Andrew Miller.
        your a funny guy.
        Didn't mean Peavy, just wanted us to have a late deal.
        "I just want them to keep bringing guys on and I'm going to strip them of their health. I bring pain, a lot of pain." Mike Tyson

Comment

• hm.
          "The Marlins are going to lose because they don't have two magical unicorns having sex in the bathroom"
          -Dan LeBatard

Comment

• gotta think that if this team needs a 5th starter for whatever reason (anibal not working, miller not working, west not working), someone like pavano may be able to slip through waivers

Comment

• Originally posted by wanks1212 View Post
              gotta think that if this team needs a 5th starter for whatever reason (anibal not working, miller not working, west not working), someone like pavano may be able to slip through waivers
              How would that work? I never really understood how the waiver trades worked but I would have to think the Marlins would be thinking about it seeing as how we don't have a 5th starter right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                How would that work? I never really understood how the waiver trades worked but I would have to think the Marlins would be thinking about it seeing as how we don't have a 5th starter right now.
                After the July 31st trade deadline, teams can still make trades. However, before the trades are officially completed, the players involved in the deals must pass through waivers. Any other team can step in and claim any of the players involved, and the team that the player is currently on either has the opportunity to pull him back, which would basically cancel the trade, or allow the team that claimed him to keep him. In this economy, though, guys will probably pass through waivers much more easily this year because teams don't want to pay his salary.

Comment

• well, actually basically every player on August 1st is placed on waivers

Two things happen

Either another team claims him, or they don't.

If a team doesn't claim him, then the original team is free to trade him to whoever.

If a team does claim him, the original team can either pull him back, let the claim go through and the player goes to that team, or the two teams work out a trade. However, the player can only be traded to the team that claimed him. So, for instance, if there's a player with think Philly would be interested, we claim him on August 1 to cock block them. Well, we probably don't out of fear that the original team will send us that player and their money lol.

basically what m26 said but a bit different
                  Last edited by nny; 08-01-2009, 10:13 AM.

Comment

• switch around a couple words in that paragraph and it makes sense.
                    Record when He pitches: 3-2

Comment

• I got the basic idea of it anyways, thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                      X