Mujica Suffers Fractured Pinky Toe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injury: Mujica Suffers Fractured Pinky Toe

MIAMI — On a night the Marlins celebrated a victory, their bullpen suffered a blow.

Right-hander Edward Mujica sustained a fracture to his right pinky toe. The 28-year-old was injured after being struck by a comeback grounder off the bat of Placido Polanco in the seventh inning of the Marlins’ 6-2 win over the Phillies.

Mujica went to the hospital after Friday’s game, and an X-ray revealed the fracture. He is wearing a walking boot, and hopes to return shortly after the All-Star Break.

Mujica feels he will be back in two weeks. The Marlins had yet to place their late-inning setup right-hander on the disabled list as of Saturday afternoon.

“I got hit, and right away I didn’t feel my foot,” Mujica said. “I thought something happened. I had two warmup throws, and I felt it.”

Polanco had a single on the play, but Mujica, remained in the game and got out of the inning.

“I got out of it,” he said. “I came back to the dugout, and I started feeling it.”

With Mujica out, Ryan Webb and Steve Cishek are the candidates to fill the seventh and eighth inning right-handed setup roles.

“Today, it feels a little bit better,” Mujica said. “Last night, I can’t walk. It was hard for me to walk. I got this boot right after the doctor told me I got a fracture. I feel a little bit better today.”

Mujica has appeared in 35 games and he has a 4.46 ERA, but he’s been one of the teams most dependable and durable relievers.

Getting hit by comeback shot is a concern for all pitchers. Recently, Andy Pettitte of the Yankees suffered a fracture to his foot, and he’s out for about six weeks.

“We’re close to the hitter,” Mujica said. “Line drives over there, they are scary moments.”
    Mujica sustains fracture to right pinky toe

There is no less manly sounding injury than this

Comment

Edward, SUCK IT UP.

You have plenty of other toes.

Comment

Considering it's on his foot that he pushes off the rubber with, having that toe fractured really hinders his ability to pitch.

I'm not sure if you guys are joking or not.

Comment

Well you gotta admit, it does sound like a prissy injury

But tape it to the next toe, one time common, and call me!

Comment

Originally posted by Metes View Post
            There is no less manly sounding injury than this
            Mat Latos throwing out his back while sneezing might have this one beat.

Comment

Cut it off, be a man.
              There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

Wade LeBlanc took Mujica's place. Why no love for Dan Jennings? His numbers in New Orleans and Miami don't look that bad, no?
                --------------------
                And I didn't mean for this instance since we already have two lefties in the pen and apparently LeBlanc is going to face mostly righties (according to Ozzie)
                Last edited by Miamarlin21; 07-01-2012, 02:22 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

They have enough lefties for now.

Comment

I hear he's going to get the promotion at Pendant Publishing.

Comment

Working...
                    X