• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postgame: Quality Start from JJ Squandered As Marlins Implode Late

We really bad.

Boo

Comment

ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo
      Marlins have scored 5 runs or fewer in 25 straight games, the longest single-season streak since the Rays in 2000 (29)

Comment

We can do it.

MH is back

Comment

I mean, are we at a point now where this whole June thing has become mental? I can't think of any other explanation for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Valid View Post
            I mean, are we at a point now where this whole June thing has become mental? I can't think of any other explanation for this.
            Mental in what way?

Comment

Mental in the way that they seriously feel that they just cannot win in June and it is affecting their overall performance. So basically a self-fulfilling prophecy. I know it might sound silly but this is just incomprehensible to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Valid View Post
                Mental in the way that they seriously feel that they just cannot win in June and it is affecting their overall performance. So basically a self-fulfilling prophecy. I know it might sound silly but this is just incomprehensible to me.
                I think that kind of thing is less likely in baseball than in other sports because of how many different players from the team impact the game. It's not likely that everyone but JJ and Stanton have the same mental block.

Our offense is just awful. Everyone but Stanton is doing awful. Reyes is OPSing .730.
                Hanley is at .775 with most of that production coming in May.
                Infante is .780 with most of that coming in April.
                Lomo is at .730
                Boner is at .667
                Gaby is at .538
                Buck is at .583
                Petersen was at .555
                Coghlan is at .393

No one can hit.

Comment

It's not the exact same team that was here last June. Even if it was, I doubt their thought process was that they couldn't win in June.

June = the toughest part of the schedule. That probably has something to do with it. The Marlins haven't played a bad team since they played the Phillies (the last series the team won).

Comment

I'm interested to see what the Front Office does now.

Comment

This is really excruciating.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                        So how would you evaluate the talent on the team then?

The bottom of the lineup is talented?
                        The bottom of the lineup is more talented than it has been thus far, specifically Buck and Gaby.

When trying to evaluate whether a team is performing to its potential, I would ask this question: How many players are performing at or above what could have been reasonably expected from them before the season? How many below?

For the hitters, I would say Stanton and Hanley have given about what should have been expected, while Infante has been well above. Kearns has been above expectations, and I guess Ruggiano and Solano for their 81 plate appearance. Bonifacio was more or less what I expected.

I don’t think it is unfair to say that Buck, and Sanchez have underperformed even the bigget skeptic’s worst projections for them. Coghlan’s terrible, but I don’t think his true talent level if a .400 OPS. Reyes has been a disappointment, as has Lomo.

And then you have the pitchers. Zambrano and Buerhle you can’t complain about, and Ricky kind of stinks, so he’s not far from his talent level. But JJ and Anibal has both been disappointments, and I don’t think it is a stretch at all to say that.

And in the bullpen, only Steve Cishek, Randy Choate and Chad Gaudin have met expectations while literally every single other arm that has appeared out of the pen has been worse than what was expected.

I just don’t see an argument for the team’s current production being representative of their talent. I never thought this was a slam-dunk playoff roster, but they’re certainly better than this.

So, what, one every day player, one bench player and maybe Steve Cishek have overperformed, while four everyday players, two starting pitchers and like 7 relievers have all underperformed, mostly to a significant degree. Either, every single person was wrong about their actual talent level, or this has just been a massively disappointing beginning to the season.

I don't think 70+ games is enough time to look at production and say, definitively, that it is representative of talent.
                        Last edited by Bobbob1313; 06-23-2012, 04:45 PM.
                        poop

Comment

My children are now Blue Jays fans.

Comment

Jesus, this team is awful.

Comment

This team is the saddest bunch I've ever met, but I bet before we're through, somehow I'll make a man out of you.
                              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Working...
                              X