No announcement yet.

Andrew Heaney, LHP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jim Callis of Baseball America said right now he would rank Heaney as the third-best prospect in the Marlins’ system, behind only right-hander Jose Fernandez and outfielder Christian Yelich.
    I don't think that's anything surprising

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...ew-heaney.html

Comment

oh this explains the bloodwork thing

When the club heard from Rob Martin, Heaney’s advisor, they were surprised to learn the player was in Miami and not back home in Oklahoma.

Heaney, who all along asked for the $2.8 million pool amount for the ninth overall selection, settled on the Marlins’ offer at about 9:30 a.m. when the club reiterated they were not prepared to give him a dime more. The fact that Heaney already was in Miami and not back home in Oklahoma made all the difference in terms of getting the physical done.
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

I feel like, between the "Hanley hates 3B" stuff and this (among a lot of other examples), we should all make an effort to take a step back before reacting to unsourced reports from the internet.
        --------------------
        Originally posted by Hugg View Post
        I don't think that's anything surprising

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...ew-heaney.html
        That's not bad, either, considering both Fernandez and Yelich are top-25 prospects in BA's mid-season update.
        --------------------
        Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
        I feel like, between the "Hanley hates 3B" stuff and this (among a lot of other examples), we should all make an effort to take a step back before reacting to unsourced reports from the internet.
        This, of course, coming from the guy who, quite literally, makes his living writing about the things that these same reporters report...
        Last edited by Bobbob1313; 07-13-2012, 04:58 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
        poop

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
          What a boring way to live life.

Comment

Dr. Lee Kaplan is the Miami Marlins’ medical director. If not for him, the club on Friday would have been lamenting how first-round draft pick Andrew Heaney, a left-hander out of Oklahoma State, went un-signed.

The Marlins require a full physical and blood work prior to consummating a contract. They wanted terms agreed upon by Tuesday to have the results of Heaney’s physical before Friday’s 5 p.m. signing deadline. The Marlins never wavered from their $2.6 million offer. Heaney did not want less than $2.8 million.

The Marlins resigned themselves to the fact Heaney would not be joining the organization. After midnight Friday, they learned Heaney was in Miami and not his native Oklahoma.

“We still said, ‘That’s really great, but we’re still not sure we can do anything,’ “ Beinfest said. “It wasn’t until Dr. Kaplan said ‘Yes, we can get (the physical) done,’ that it actually was going to happen.”

Beinfest landed from an All-Star break trip to see family in California at 4:10 p.m. Friday. Ten minutes later, he received a call from Dr. Kaplan saying Heaney was good to go.

Heaney will report to Jupiter, where the Marlins will assess his arm before likely assigning him to short-season Class-A Jamestown. Beinfest said ultimately he hopes he catches up to Jose Fernandez and Adam Conley, and becomes part of that starting pitching wave.

The Marlins also agreed with third-round pick Avery Romero, a shortstop out of Menendez H.S. in St. Augustine, before the deadline for a reported $700,000 signing bonus.
            http://www.therepublic.com/view/stor...ARLINS-8458218
            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

Made his pro debut today in GCL. 3 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 4 K.

Comment

Ace.
                poop

Comment

Call him up, boys.
                  This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

Promoted to Greensboro tonight.

Comment

Sweet.

Comment

Despite some tough luck, Andrew Heaney, the Miami Marlins’ No. 1 draft pick this year, felt good about his second start for the Greensboro Grasshoppers.

An error and a bloop single brought home most of the Lakewood BlueClaws’ runs, but Heaney knows he was sharper before 7,655 fans at NewBridge Bank Park than he had been in a road loss in his first start.

“I felt a lot better than I did my first start,” Heaney said. “Every pitch I was throwing for a strike felt a lot better.

“First start, you’re coming out, trying to get comfortable and get your feet wet, and after that you’re trying to get better and better with every start. I definitely feel I took a step in the right direction.”

Heaney pitched 51/3 innings, giving up four runs (two unearned), on eight hits and three walks, while striking out three. He was able to avoid the loss when the Grasshoppers came from behind for a 9-4 win. Ryan Goetz led the way, going 5-for-5 and is 9-for-10 in the last two games.

Heaney, who pitched at Oklahoma State, had a month off before pitching two games in rookie ball. He didn’t know he would be promoted so quickly.

“It was a little surprising,” Heaney said. “They didn’t really set a timetable or let me know or anything like that. ”

Grasshoppers pitching coach Blake McGinley said he was pleased with Heaney’s progress Saturday night.

“We’re just trying to build him and get his pitch count up,” McGinley said. “I think he’s doing a good job. He hasn’t pitched bad. He’s keeping us in the games.

“There’s probably a little pressure on him because he wants to impress a little bit, but he’s doing it the right way. He’s working hard. Overall, I like what I’m seeing. He’s only going to get better.”

Grasshoppers manager David Berg likes the fact that Heaney will provide the pitching staff with a fresh arm heading into the playoffs. Greensboro won the Northern Division first-half title.

“He’s got really good composure and he’s got good stuff,” Berg said. “We’ve got some younger guys who haven’t thrown that many innings and they’re kind of getting a little worn down. He’s someone we can insert in the rotation and help us out.”

After getting out of trouble in the first two innings, Heaney couldn’t escape in the third. After a single by the BlueClaws’ Aaron Altherr and a double by Kelly Dugan, a ground ball by Brian Pointer, but it went through Goetz’s legs and two runs scored, making the score 3-2.

Heaney would give up the lead in the top of the sixth. A walk to Pointer was followed by a double to the left-field corner by Gabriel Lino, bringing home Pointer to tie the score.

A bloop single to left field by Tim Carver brought home Lino and Heaney’s night was over.
                        http://www.news-record.com/content/2...nd_time_around

Comment

The time to ask is not when they're discussing a trade, or assessing an injury in the trainer's room or 10 minutes before the first pitch. Oklahomans can be found in many facets of professional baseball. This includes in the front office, the clubhouse and on the field as coaches and players. The knowledge they have going in and then add to with each season is incredible. During the season, their time can be in high demand. So why not take advantage of the slower pace of winter to ask their input on various aspects of the game?

That's what The Oklahoman is doing in an occasional winter series, providing insight for players, coaches and/or fans.

The series begins with former Putnam City and Oklahoma State pitcher Andrew Heaney.

Last season with OSU, Heaney was an All-American, finishing as the NCAA Division I leader in strikeouts with 140.

In June, Heaney was selected in the first round by the Miami Marlins as the ninth overall pick in the 2012 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft.

In this segment of the series with Oklahomans, Heaney talks about what he tries to accomplish in between starts and in certain game situations.

Q: Please give me an idea of what you want to accomplish physically and mentally in a bullpen between starts.

A: “I can only speak for me. I have certain things. I have my stride length, which is one thing that I really focus on, pushing off my back leg, finishing out front, just things that you hear since you were little and it sounds simple but those are things that you have to repeat over and over and over and can so easily get overlooked or get pushed to the side. Your side session in the middle of the week is really when you work on the simple little things that you can't think about in the game.”

When you come out of the bullpen just before a start, do you have a pretty good feel of what's working for you that day?

“You get into the game and in that first or second inning sometimes you kind of have to get a feel for the umpire's strike zone, how you're feeling, what's working for you, what they're swinging at, what their approach is. So it takes you a couple of innings. After that I feel like I can get settled in and start figuring out what my approach can be that day or what is working for me.”

You had some complete games. Please talk about the mindset that comes with that.

“When you pitch, I've always heard, ‘Don't save bullets.' Whatever you've got in the tank, throw it. You never know what's going to be your last pitch. You never know what the situation is. So never hold anything back and if you're lucky enough to get the eighth or ninth inning, same thing, you just go until you don't have anything left.

“The only approach that I ever had changed was, early in games I might be trying to look for a punchout, trying not to let guys on. Later in the games when I'm trying to maybe conserve pitches, I'm trying to get some contact, get some early counts, get outs. But at the same time, late in games if you have a crucial situation, you can't just lay it in there.

“You have to treat every at-bat like it's the last one you're going to have.”
                          http://newsok.com/first-round-pick-a...736464/?page=1

Comment

• Left-handed pitcher Andrew Heaney, the team’s 2012 first round pick, was reassigned to rehab with a strained lat muscle. Heaney, 1-2 with a 4.66 ERA in six minor-league starts last season, had yet to appear this spring.

• Center fielder Justin Ruggiano (strained back) said Sunday he feels a lot better and is hopeful he can make his Grapefruit League debut later this week. Ruggiano, who strained his lower back two weeks ago, started playing catch Thursday. He hit in the batting cage for the first time Saturday and ran for the first time Sunday.
                            http://www.bradenton.com/2013/03/04/...#storylink=cpy

Comment

Andrew Heaney ‏@Heandog8 9h
                              Got the word that I'm joining the Jupiter Hammerheads tomorrow and making my first start on Monday! #rehabgraduate
                              So if all goes well, I guess he'd start 2014 in Jacksonville?
                              LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

If all goes well, he'll only make 5-6 starts in Jupiter. He's expected to move quickly.

Comment

Working...
                                X