X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fupastein would be better

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
      I feel like this is a leverage ploy. Deadline isn't until Friday so leak to the media that he negotiations are over and hope he wants to play pro ball enough to say "fuck it"
      Who the fuck is this guy? What a stud.

Comment

He strutted in and posted that and walked right back out.

Comment

He's a HUGH fuckface, for sure.
          --------------------
          Originally posted by bell_virus.exe View Post
          odd, I had read that the physical and bloodwork the Marlins required before signing wouldn't have a chance to get done in time
          I'm sure that's an easy remedy. Have him sign a deal that becomes void if he fails either of those things at a later date.
          Last edited by Mainge; 07-13-2012, 12:19 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by bell_virus.exe View Post
            yeah I literally wrote that the post above you
            OK...I didn't see that until after I posted it. Sorry...

Comment

Well...good job by the Marlins if they do end up signing all three of them. I knee jerked.

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                We still are terrible at drafting however
                If being league average in producing MLB talent through the draft years 2003-2008, and then drafting two top 25 prospects in baseball since in Yelich and Fernandez is terrible, then they are terrible.

Could they be better? ABSOLUTELY. Should there be more system depth? ABSOLUTELY. It would have been wonderful to have Hermida work out, and then also get Ellsbury, Lowrie, Beckham, Crow, and Heyward instead of Volstad, Thompson, Skipworth, Sinkbiel and Dominguez, but every team in baseball can say this and it's playing the result.

This is just dumb criticism not supported by what actually happens in the MLB draft. You can disagree about their strategy, and how you are annoyed with high school pitchers (but not Fernandez, he cool right), how they pick speedy tools guys, guys with fastballs who can't pitch and mediocre catcher prospects in rounds 3-5, etc., but if you actually look at their talent output compared to the other teams (which is what matters), you will have a really hard time finding more than a dozen teams/front offices who historically beat them in the draft (and a portion of those are the Pirates, Nationals or Rays, who have had an over abundance of top top picks the last decade, i.e. more opportunity to strike gold).

Also note, I am not advocating striving for average and this is acceptable and we should all be happy with how they draft. This is absolutely an area that needs to improve and I am very hopeful this has already happened in seeing Yelich, Fernandez, Conley, Realmuto, James, etc., turn into viable MLB options next few years which would be absolutely fantastic compared to the current 25 man roster. But terrible? Terrible is reserved for the Cubs. Marlins are OK and not to give them a mulligan, let's see how they draft three years with this stadium where "supposedly" money is no longer an issue. We're going to learn a lot about this front office 2012-2014. I think it's fair to give them the opportunity based on the total bullshit they had to deal with 2006-2010.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                  If being league average in producing MLB talent through the draft years 2003-2008, and then drafting two top 25 prospects in baseball since in Yelich and Fernandez is terrible, then they are terrible.

Could they be better? ABSOLUTELY. Should there be more system depth? ABSOLUTELY. It would have been wonderful to have Hermida work out, and then also get Ellsbury, Lowrie, Beckham, Crow, and Heyward instead of Volstad, Thompson, Skipworth, Sinkbiel and Dominguez, but every team in baseball can say this and it's playing the result.

This is just dumb criticism not supported by what actually happens in the MLB draft. You can disagree about their strategy, and how you are annoyed with high school pitchers (but not Fernandez, he cool right), how they pick speedy tools guys, guys with fastballs who can't pitch and mediocre catcher prospects in rounds 3-5, etc., but if you actually look at their talent output compared to the other teams (which is what matters), you will have a really hard time finding more than a dozen teams/front offices who historically beat them in the draft (and a portion of those are the Pirates, Nationals or Rays, who have had an over abundance of top top picks the last decade, i.e. more opportunity to strike gold).

Also note, I am not advocating striving for average and this is acceptable and we should all be happy with how they draft. This is absolutely an area that needs to improve and I am very hopeful this has already happened in seeing Yelich, Fernandez, Conley, Realmuto, James, etc., turn into viable MLB options next few years which would be absolutely fantastic compared to the current 25 man roster. But terrible? Terrible is reserved for the Cubs. Marlins are OK and not to give them a mulligan, let's see how they draft three years with this stadium where "supposedly" money is no longer an issue. We're going to learn a lot about this front office 2012-2014. I think it's fair to give them the opportunity based on the total bullshit they had to deal with 2006-2010.
                  My bad let me clarify terrible as Not signing guys we should(Barron,Palmer,Grim,Toles) or Signing guys then Voiding their contract
                  We are actually not bad at getting quality guys late in the draft. Usually we draft a guy in the 30's don't sign him then the next year he goes in the Top 15

I have no problem with them drafting HS players(Shit I wish we would draft more) or tools guys. My problem is where we take them is all,there is no reason to take a Tom Hickman,Torre Langley,Brett Hayes,Marquis Cooper where we did.

Comment

Well that was interesting.

I hate media leaks sometimes. Also, Heaney would've been mad to turn down $2.6 million. So many things could go wrong next year that would destroy his draft stock dramatically.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugg View Post
                      He strutted in and posted that and rolled right back out.
                      Fixed.
                      LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

You ruined it.

Looking back, I blew it big time. If I had a chance to redo my "what a stud" post I would have said:

Oh hey! I half guessed at something I had no idea about and got it right! And everyone here thinks I know nothing about contractual negotiations between professional sports teams and teenagers that don't know what they want.

Comment

My bad let me clarify terrible as Not signing guys we should(Barron,Palmer,Grim,Toles) or Signing guys then Voiding their contract
                          We are actually not bad at getting quality guys late in the draft. Usually we draft a guy in the 30's don't sign him then the next year he goes in the Top 15

I have no problem with them drafting HS players(Shit I wish we would draft more) or tools guys. My problem is where we take them is all,there is no reason to take a Tom Hickman,Torre Langley,Brett Hayes,Marquis Cooper where we did.
                          That's all cool, and you certainly follow this way more than I do with later round picks, who signs, who doesn't, who gets redrafted when they decline to come out post high school, but just saying on a pure talent basis, they are pretty solid despite their well documented "2005" and other deficiencies. That's it.

As to your point though, I'm interested in seeing if these "signability" problems and arguably "who they draft where problems" persist with the stadium. Is it them as a front office causing this, how should we say, not efficient draft strategy, or did they truly have their hands tied 06-09 with 'market correction' baseball expenditure shenanigans causing average draft results rather than above-average. I'm optimistic.

If they didn't sign Heaney, I was going to fucking explode as how could that happen THIS FUCKING YEAR and it's the same old shit without the stadium excuse. But false alarm. Seems like they knew what they were doing.

Comment

I'm assuming Polky was not one of the admins who is concerned about the state of the board, then?
                            poop

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                              That's all cool, and you certainly follow this way more than I do with later round picks, who signs, who doesn't, who gets redrafted when they decline to come out post high school, but just saying on a pure talent basis, they are pretty solid despite their well documented "2005" and other deficiencies. That's it.

As to your point though, I'm interested in seeing if these "signability" problems and arguably "who they draft where problems" persist with the stadium. Is it them as a front office causing this, how should we say, not efficient draft strategy, or did they truly have their hands tied 06-09 with 'market correction' baseball expenditure shenanigans causing average draft results rather than above-average. I'm optimistic.

If they didn't sign Heaney, I was going to fucking explode as how could that happen THIS FUCKING YEAR and it's the same old shit without the stadium excuse. But false alarm. Seems like they knew what they were doing.

Well this FO draft strategy is not a secret to anyone in the Majors and it is LH Arms,Toolsy players and Catchers. Honestly it is not a bad strategy IF it works. LH Arms cost the most in FA and as seen with Stanton when u hit u hit big plus everyone needs a catcher so if u have 3 or 4 in the minors its a great trading chip

Our problem has been it doesn't work,instead of taking a proven OF guy most years(Cousins/Peterson)we take a HS OF who has great tools(Cooper,Hickman).

With this new pool,we need to start taking the BPA that is willing to sign for slot

Ya it seems the Heaney thing was all a ploy to save 200k and sign Romero and Gunter which is great strategy

Comment

Well this FO draft strategy is not a secret to anyone in the Majors and it is LH Arms,Toolsy players and Catchers. Honestly it is not a bad strategy IF it works
                                Right.

Comment

Working...
                                X