Girl Hospitalized After Fall at Marlins Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girl Hospitalized After Fall at Marlins Park

MIAMI (WSVN) -- A little girl is recovering in the hospital after falling off a rock climbing wall at a carnival outside of Marlins Park.

Eleven-year-old Emily Davis, along with her family, were enjoying an afternoon of fun at a free carnival outside of Marlins Park on Saturday, when she fell 18 feet from the top of a rock climbing wall.

Emily's father, Jeff Davis, recorded her climb to the top on his camera. After she proudly hit the buzzer at the top of the wall, the video shows Emily start her decent before she suddenly fell and crashed to the floor. "There was no tension, no nothing. It was just like she jumped off with nothing," said Jeff. "How long does it take to fall 18 feet? There's nothing anybody could do."

Jeff can be heard screaming and knocking down the fence as he tries to get to his little girl who lay motionless and unconscious on the ground. Her groaning noises can also be heard on the video. "When I got to her I wasn't even thinking oh I hope she's alright, I hope she's alright. I was thinking of her breathing and a heartbeat," said Jeff. "She thought she was dreaming. She's yelling, 'Wake up! Wake up!' She's yelling, 'Get out of my dream!'"

The nightmare that the harness failed his daughter has left Jeff in disbelief. "[If] an 11-year-old girl can break the cable up there, there is no way that the guy running the ride [couldn't break it with] just one pull," said Jeff.

In a statement the Marlins said: "The rock climbing wall was close immediately following the incident Saturday and the matter is under investigation to determine the cause of the accident. The Marlins will continue to prioritize safety for all activities taking place at Marlins Park. We wish her well in her continued recovery."

Emily can be seen in a family photo with her dad and her brother Zack taken 30 minutes prior to the accident, which is a stark contrast to what she is having to deal with. "We were looking at pictures yesterday of the game. There's a picture of the at the stadium, at the field and he [Zack] starts crying and says, 'That's before Emily was hurt,'" said Jeff. "Which it was, it was 30 minutes before."

After suffering a concussion, Emily is recovering in the hospital while wearing a collar. She is able to move her arms and legs again and can speak.

The family wanted to share their story because of the holiday weekend and urge parents to monitor their children and double check before they go on any rides.
    (Copyright 2012 by Sunbeam Television Corp. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
    Read more: http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/lo...#ixzz1wDWvao1K

I can't even imagine what it was like for that Jeff watching the cable fail. That sounds like one of the most terrifying things in the world.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Jesus Christ. Really glad she's okay.

What a terrible thing to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewford View Post
        I can't even imagine what it was like for that Jeff watching the cable fail. That sounds like one of the most terrifying things in the world.
        I was thinking the same thing. Really really glad she's okay.

Comment

Ok so I don't get what actually failed. It says both the harness failed and there was no tension on the cable. Those are two completely different problems. If someone could clear that Either way liability should fall on the owner of the rock wall. Also it maybe a carabiner that failed. I always double them up.

If this was a problem with the tension, she either had to have been the first person to use that cable and the operator did not check them or it just drained between the last customer and her which is improbable without someone tampering with it. If a little kid climbs ours you have to pull them down with a rope.

Glad to hear she is alright.

Comment

Jay, get to the bottom of this. This stuff is unacceptable.

Comment

Working...
            X