No announcement yet.

Mattison and Dunn, Come on Up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kevin Mattison won’t venture a guess as to who might win a 60-yard dash between him, Jose Reyes and Emilio Bonifacio. Chances are it won’t ever happen, but such an event would be fun to watch.

Marlins Double-A Jacksonville manager Andy Barkett last season said Mattison was “as fast as anyone I’ve ever seen on a baseball field.” Mattison will get to showcase that speed, and an impressive mustache, in the majors for the first time.

Friday, the Marlins announced they recalled Mattison and left-hander Mike Dunn for Triple-A New Orleans to replace right-handers Chris Hatcher and Sandy Rosario, both of whom were optioned out.

“That’s all we were allowed to grow our first year in short-season A ball was a mustache,” said Mattison, who’s fashioned a handlebar mustache and Fu Manchu at different points. “You couldn’t have a goatee until your first full season. I grew the mustache and once a year I go with it. However long it lasts, it lasts.”

The Fort Lauderdale-born Mattison grew up in Royal Palm Beach until he was 12. That’s when the family moved to North Carolina. Mattison attended UNC-Asheville, where he set the school’s all-time marks for runs (192), triples (23), total bases (423) and steals (57). The Marlins drafted him in the 28th round in 2008.

Entering this season, Mattison was successful on 142 of 179 attempts. At New Orleans, he was caught six times in 11 tries.

“Pitchers obviously know I’m a base stealer now and are more aware of it,” Mattison said. “I’ve been caught sometimes this year, but I’ve been running in must-run situations…I don’t think I’m falling off the chart with my percentage or anything. I’ve just run into a tough couple of situations when I’ve run.”
    Miami Marlins: OF Kevin Mattison ready to showcase speed, mustache in majors for first time

Comment

I like him

Comment

Working...
      X