X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
    Cmon.
    One time.

If I recall correctly, which I probably don't, we've been sucky against Johan Santana several times, the guy's no Mike Pelfrey. At least JJ looked rather swell.
    Last edited by Chewford; 04-25-2012, 04:31 AM. Reason: 주즈, 칼 미.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

He's 6-1 with a 1.46 era 0.94whip (67ip 44ha 19bb 81k) in 10 career starts against us now.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
        I think there is zero evidence of this being true.
        I mean, Perez never coached anything save winter ball (might as well be little league) and as soon as Mallee was fired he was hired. In the same press release. It's not like there was an interim coach, or they went and hired a former out-of-work hitting coach, or they conducted interviews for a few games...they just hired a guy who worked for ESPN. That isn't suspect?

To me it'd be akin to if the Dolphins fired their OC halfway through the year and hired Brian Griese.
        Originally posted by Madman81
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

I'm sad.

Comment

I can't believe this thread is mostly about Eduardo Perez.

We just won 5 of 6 (admittedly, against bad teams) and ran into Strasburg, a legit Johan, and a really good outing from a pretty good young pitcher.

The offense will come around and our pitching staff has been really good. Our run differential puts us ahead of the middle of the pack in the NL. Please don't talk about Eduardo Perez.
            --------------------
            Also, tr305. You are fucking terrible.
            Last edited by Bucklin12; 04-25-2012, 08:04 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
            Christian Yelich
            LF, Greensboro Grasshoppers
            12/5/1991 - 19 years old

.299/.375/.461/.836
            100-334, 24 2B, 0 3B, 10 HR, 38 BB, 74 SO, 26 SB (4 CS)

------------------------------------

Last 10 Games:
            .394/.512/.697/1.155

Last Update: 7/27/2011

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
              When was the last time 4 players were walked by 4 different pitchers?
              Elias says never

Marlins Baseball: Making History for All the Wrong Reasons
              --------------------
              Originally posted by Bucklin12 View Post
              I can't believe this thread is mostly about Eduardo Perez.

We just won 5 of 6 (admittedly, against bad teams) and ran into Strasburg, a legit Johan, and a really good outing from a pretty good young pitcher.

The offense will come around and our pitching staff has been really good. Our run differential puts us ahead of the middle of the pack in the NL. Please don't talk about Eduardo Perez.
              --------------------
              Also, tr305. You are fucking terrible.
              If we're going to qualify the losses against Stras and Johan, then we have to do the same for the wins. We played the Astros and Cubs and did not look very impressive doing so.
              Last edited by Omar; 04-25-2012, 11:46 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
              God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
              - Daft

Comment

The Marlins averaged 5.5 runs in the 6 games versus the Astros and Cubs. How is that "not impressive"?

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                  The Marlins averaged 5.5 runs in the 6 games versus the Astros and Cubs. How is that "not impressive"?
                  As far as the offense is concerned, in four out of the six games (against really bad teams) the Marlins went at least four innings without scoring a run. These are only streaked contained within their respective game, mind you. We had streaks of 7 (HOU Game 1), 7 (HOU Games 2-3), 4 (CHI Game 1), and 5 (CHI Game 3, to close home stand) scoreless innings against lackluster pitchers. How is that impressive?

In fact, in half of the games we did that thing we do where we score the majority of our runs in the first three innings. Thankfully we were 2-1 in those games, but having bats that go quiet for entire stretches isn't a strong way to win games.

Our offensive production after the breakout game of 9-1 vs the Cubs includes a 22 inning scoreless streak (Game 3 vs CHI until the 9th inning of Game 2 against the Nats) and a 7 inning streak (10th inning vs Nats until last night). That kind of run absence, even against good to great pitchers, is very very very troubling.

It's early and all that, but we're not going to be doing much if we're going 20+ innings without scoring in June.
                  God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
                  - Daft

Comment

I disagree. I thought we looked pretty impressive against the Cubs.

Comment

Originally posted by Omar View Post
                      As far as the offense is concerned, in four out of the six games (against really bad teams) the Marlins went at least four innings without scoring a run. These are only streaked contained within their respective game, mind you. We had streaks of 7 (HOU Game 1), 7 (HOU Games 2-3), 4 (CHI Game 1), and 5 (CHI Game 3, to close home stand) scoreless innings against lackluster pitchers. How is that impressive?.
                      How does that compare to around the league?

Streaks like that happen often in baseball because hitting is difficult.

Comment

Also, I do think it's too early to draw any sort of conclusions about this team.

There are players I'm worried about (Mujica, Gaby, to a degree Stanton). There are players that are struggling and/or have room for significant improvement (Reyes, LoMo, Bell, to a degree Stanton, again).

I'm not sure what the magic barometer is. Our early schedule is kind of weird (tons of road games and we don't play the NL East a whole lot, mostly NL Central and a trip out west). I guess the first time I'd be pretty comfortable pushing the 'panic button' (a 0-9 skid or something of the like notwithstanding) is after our first "extended" home stand at the end of May. 10 games against the Rockies, Giants and Nats, all of whom are fairly talented. Other than that, it's a weird stretch of bad teams and/or road games, both of which I don't think provide too much in terms of learning about the team.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Kotter View Post
                          I mean, Perez never coached anything save winter ball (might as well be little league) and as soon as Mallee was fired he was hired. In the same press release. It's not like there was an interim coach, or they went and hired a former out-of-work hitting coach, or they conducted interviews for a few games...they just hired a guy who worked for ESPN. That isn't suspect?

To me it'd be akin to if the Dolphins fired their OC halfway through the year and hired Brian Griese.
                          This doesn't really have anything to do with what I responded to, but holy crap this is a dumb thing to discuss.
                          poop

Comment

That's a good question. I did a very rudimentary search but came across nothing.

Anyone know?
                            - Daft

Comment

Streaks like that happen often in baseball because hitting is difficult.
                              Rockies have scored in 2 of their last 15 innings. They also have no hits thru 6 today.

The Dodgers had scorelesss inning streaks of 4, 4, 6, 4, 7, 10 last week.

Yankees have no runs in 12 innings. They also did 5, 4 and 8 last week; 9 just before last week started.

Comment

I would guess the Marlins have been slightly worse overall than the league average by that measure, but they've also been worse than the league average in scoring. I don't think there is anything special about our offense. Runs tend to come in bunches.
                                poop

Comment

Working...
                                X