Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11 Players Reassigned to Minors

From the Sun-Sentinel:

JUPITER -- Spring training with the big league team ended for 11 players in the Marlins organization Sunday, who were told they were headed to the minors.

Pitcher Brad Hand, 22, was one of those, as he was optioned to Double-A Jacksonville.

Hand was in his second spring training, and the first since he spent last season bouncing back and forth between the minors and Marlins four times. He ended with a 1-8 record and 4.20 ERA with the Marlins and was 11-5 with a 3.56 ERA in the minors.

“It was a good experience to learn how to pitch up there. I can use that knowledge to improve my game,” said Hand.

The improvement was evident this month, as Hand did now allow a run in 5 2/3 innings in three appearances while holding opponents to a .158 average.
    Text alerts: Get South Florida sports news on your phone

“Last year I had a lot of walks and that is one of the things I worked on, is throwing everything for strikes,” said Hand, who had 35 walks and 38 strikeouts in 60 innings at the major league level.

Hand has walked two and struck out four this spring.

“He has made that change with his arm slot. I think he is going to have a really good year,” Marlins pitching coach Randy St. Claire said.

Hand, who did not go longer than two innings in his three appearances this spring, said his focus will now be the stretch out and be ready to start at the minor league level.

The other moves were pitchers Tom Koehler, Sandy Rosario, Alex Sanabia and Dan Jennings, infielder Matt Dominguez and outfielder Kevin Mattison optioned to Triple-A New Orleans; pitcher Evan Reed to Double-A Jacksonville and pitcher Elih Villanueva, catcher Kyle Skipworth and infielder Jeff Dominguez to minor league camp.

The Marlins began camp with 64 players and are now down to 42, with 19 pitchers, 10 infielders, four catchers and nine outfielders remaining.

Kinda odd that Hand will go back to Double-A.
    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Could have to do with him being a fly ball pitcher and not wanting to destroy his confidence in the PCL

Comment

Good explanation.
        LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Also could be an expected numbers issue where there are 5 guys who they would rather have logging starts in AAA over him.

Comment

Working...
          X