Randy Choate 2012: Missing Person Alert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Randy Choate 2012: Missing Person Alert

Realized he hasnt pitched in the Spring yet and there has been nothing mentioned about this on the board. We've all been penciling him into the Bullpen without knowing anything about his recovery from a minor ligament tear last season in his elbow.

Found this story from the Palm Beach Post on Feb. 24. Most recent item that comes up on Google News:

In his first Marlins camp last spring, reliever Randy Choate said team doctors were pleasantly surprised to learn that he never had surgery during his 11-year career.

After all, Choate is 36, an age that often comes with some type of surgical procedure for pitchers. But in August, when Choate's left elbow swelled up three times its normal size, he thought his streak was over.

"Doctors thought it was bone chips or (eventual) Tommy John surgery,' he said. "But it was just a small tear.'

Choate's last game was Aug. 15, and the time off appears to have paid off. He avoided surgery by resting the elbow for three months before starting a throwing program in November.

He started throwing off a mound starting in January and completed 15 so-called "bullpen sessions" before arriving in Jupiter last week. He threw off the mound for the first time in Marlins camp Thursday and reported no discomfort.

"Everything feels good,' he said. "It's not exactly where I want it to be but I've got sink on the fastball and I feel like I'm throwing where I'm supposed to be speed-wise.'

Choate, who's in the final year of a two-year contract, said he expects to be ready for Opening Day as the Marlins' situational left-handed reliever. He posted a 1.82 ERA in 54 appearances last year.

More importantly, he held left-handed hitters to a .145 batting average (right-handed batters hit .167).

"I feel like I did at the start of last season,' he said.
    Do we have any idea when he's slated to make his spring debut or, really, any sort of information on him since this?

(BTW, if there's any doubt at all that Choate may not be ready for start of the season, we're all in agreement on starting the 'Dontrelle for LOOGY in 2012,' campaign, right? I know Hugg is. Come on, one time.)
    poop

http://miami.marlins.mlb.com/news/ar...k_mia&c_id=mia
    --------------------
    And
    http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/marli...dy-for-season/
    Last edited by Mcost002; 03-17-2012, 01:01 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Working...
    X