No announcement yet.

2012 Position Battles: Final Bullpen Spot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have thoughts on Koehler as the long reliever?

As an organization I would definitely keep Sanabia starting considering his youth and Leblanc stretched out to have a lefty ready to fill in considering the pen should already have 2.

Comment

Koehler doesn't have the stuff of the other guys. Marlins only carry relievers that throw "stuff." Regardless if they walk 5 guys per 9.

It's going to be Leblanc. He's the healthiest, most experienced, and it doesn't hurt to have 3 lefties in the pen when you have 4 RHP starters and Choate literally good for 2 outs a week. But damn are they good outs. Only thing I can maybe see is they initially keep West and try and sneak him through waivers, with Leblanc then his replacement.

Sanabia needs to throw innings after the disaster of last year and he and Hand will fight for SP6. Those two and Ceda are pretty solid insurance to be sitting in NOLA. Especially if James/Rasmussen start to turn the corner as the organization hopes.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
        Koehler doesn't have the stuff of the other guys. Marlins only carry relievers that throw "stuff." Regardless if they walk 5 guys per 9.
        This hasn't always been the case Lou. I mean yes more often then not the club goes with the guy who has stuff but it isn't a guarantee. I didn't look at Leblanc's line thus far but yeah if he keeps performance up through spring it should be his job.

Comment

In the pen, we haven't necessarily gone with the hard throwers.

Justin Miller, Doug Waechter, Joe Nelson, Jim Mecir, Brian Sanches, etc.

They've gone with the soft tossers.

Also, I was reading the Future Fish write up on Koehler from like '08 and I think he said he throws like 92-ish. Is Koehler really a soft tosser guy?
          poop

Comment

Clay Hensley

Koehler does throw around that
            --------------------
            Burke Badenhop
            Last edited by Mainge; 03-14-2012, 01:27 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Yeah.

We prefer guys that throw hard, but seeing as how Matt Lindstrom is on his fourth major-league team, we're hardly alone there.
              poop

Comment

I don't think I have seen any report that categorizes Koehler's stuff as anything more than 'average.' Some of the guys on that list above, Mecir was really nasty his whole career, and Sanches/Miller/Badenhop had their moments where they could befuddle hitters (and where did they all end up? DFA'd or traded for nothing). I wouldn't necessarily say they didn't have "stuff" because they weren't hitting 94. I think it's not just top end speed, but lack of movement when it comes to "stuff." Which I guess is an argument for Koehler, but like I just said, I haven't seen anywhere where it talks about him not just being an overachiever and he has any pitch scouts agree that profiles above average. Lindstrom is interesting because he throws hard, but they are straight lines. I suppose at some point once you are dialing in high 90s it doesn't matter and you just hope they develop a second pitch.

I just see multiple superior options right now and there is no real projection in Koehler as a reliever as he isn't going to come out guns blazing for 30 pitches. That's not to say I wouldn't be surprised if Koehler can turn himself into a MLB player at some point because he's probably one mediocre out pitch away from doing that and he's young, but I don't see him as a top 10 RP option in the franchise right now. And he might not be top 15 as guys like Reed, Hatcher, and Jennings all profile better if they figure it out.

Jesus the season needs to start.

Comment

It's just a trend that people would prefer flamethrowers out of the bullpen than crafty, sinker-throwing relievers. I just want outs, I don't care how they get em. Come on one time.
                  LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                    Also, I was reading the Future Fish write up on Koehler from like '08 and I think he said he throws like 92-ish. Is Koehler really a soft tosser guy?
                    You couldn't even drop my name? I'm just a "he" to you?
                    --------------------
                    Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
                    It's just a trend that people would prefer flamethrowers out of the bullpen than crafty, sinker-throwing relievers. I just want outs, I don't care how they get em. Come on one time.
                    It's not a trend. People have always loved watching radar guns more than awesome changeups.
                    --------------------
                    from November 2008:

The Marlins drafted right handed pitcher Tom Koehler in the 18th round of the 2008 draft. If not for his weight issues that he’s previously dealt with, the SUNY Stony Brook product would have been taken much higher. He lost nearly 40 pounds to trim down to his current 235 state. He’s since been able to keep the weight off and the Marlins believe they may have an absolute steal on their hands. In Koehler’s senior season, he had a 4.15era, 1.43whip in 93.1 innings of work. He struck out 111 and walked 45.

Koehler has excellent stuff, working his fastball in the 92-94 range with good sink to it. His slider has shown to be a plus pitch at times, and his changeup has the potential to be good as well. He even throws an overhand curveball but that is the weakest of his four pitches right now. He has a bit of a funky arm action, with an interesting wrap in the back that has affected his command in the past.

Tom is a starting pitcher right now and may very well end up that way but some scouts see him as a workhorse out of the bullpen. He’ll begin the year in Greensboro and will try to keep the ball in the park in the hitter friendly South Atlantic League.
                    Last edited by Ramp; 03-14-2012, 11:23 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Sean West made it through waivers, he's been sent outright to NOLA

Comment

Working...
                      X