No announcement yet.

Ricky Nolasco, SP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mainge's comment in the post game thread ("Actually his overall numbers suck but 3 of those starts are really good" in regards to his starts at Chase Field) got me interested in just the break down of Ricky's numbers of great games v.s. absolutely shitting the bed games.

From 2009-2011, he made 90 starts (So average 30 starts a year) and put up a 4.76 ERA. He has one of those "holy shit" games roughly every two months, so let's take off 3 (10%) of his worst starts each year. Each not 10% of his worst starts in that 3 year period, but 10% each season.

2009: 3.99 ERA, 176 IP (2 IP/8 ER, 3.1 IP/10 ER, 3.2 IP/8 ER)
    2010: 3.59 ERA, 145.1 IP (2 IP/6 ER, 5.1 IP/8 ER, 5 IP/7 ER)
    2011: 3.66 ERA, 199.2 IP (1.1 IP/9 ER, 3 IP/11 ER, 2 IP/6 ER)

Total: 3.75 ERA, 521 IP.

That would have ranked him 48th in ERA in that time period out of 135, compared to his 118th spot actually on the board. So in 90% of his starts in that time period, he was roughly in the top 1/3rd of SP.

21.2% improvement. Meanwhile, you do that to Volstad (Who's 88 starts and 4.88 ERA is very comparable) and he drops to a 4.32 ERA (11.5% improvement).

Now that's just looking at two pitchers obviously. Rather than Nolasco being the anomaly, it could be Volstad. But I'd certainly imagine it's Nolasco.

Also want to make sure to clarify, not talking about him this year. Fuck him this year, and very likely next year with his ever declining strike outs. Just trying to put in perspective 09-11, where yeah he was as a whole a disappointment but in 90% of his starts did what we were expecting and 10% just shat the bed completely. Not saying he was awesome, those 10% starts still really hurt. Just that he probably didn't affect us as bad as his ERA would make us think

Comment

What happens if you remove the top 10% as well as the bottom 10%?
      God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
      - Daft

Comment

I'd guess it's not nearly as drastic; the impact of a nine-inning, no-run game probably isn't nearly as large as a two-inning, eight-run game, or whatever the case will be.
        poop

Comment

Nolasco is 1-6 with a 6.70 ERA since the All-Star break.
          http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/08/2...#storylink=cpy
          Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

And yet we sent LeBlanc to the bullpen instead of him.

Comment

He's pitching ok tonight though.

Comment

TIME FOR A TURNAROUND, MAHFUCKAHS
                poop

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIRiZsDObrU[/ame]

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysUjYAi0WcQ[/ame]

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDaRqHOHkG4[/ame]

Comment

thought that was the Gangnam Style guy first

Comment

Apparently this guy shut out the Nationals.

Also, apparently the Marlins are still playing baseball games?
                          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Shut out the Natinals...twice.

Comment

RHP Ricky Nolasco learned in an unusual setting that he would start the Marlins' season opener. "I told him on the mound when I went out to take him out," manager Mike Redmond said March 7 after Nolasco struck out six batters and allowed a run in 3 2/3 innings during Miami's 4-1 loss to the Mets. "I said, 'Hey, I'm taking you out but you're the opening starter.' He goes, 'Well, then we better win.'"
                              http://www.wdbj7.com/sports/sns-rt-b...,7741283.story

weird
                              Originally posted by Madman81
                              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

thats a fun story

Comment

Working...
                                X