Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If we trade Anibal or Nolasco I definitely think you keep him because you do not want multiple prospects in the rotation if you can help it. But if we do keep them, I don't see a point in keeping him in the rotation because at this point we are now playing for 2013

And I think he's tradeable solely based off the fact that he's making the minimum. Not for even a marginal RP prospect, but to at least send him to some other team (even if it's to come out of the BP) to clear a spot in our rotation.

Also his torrid start was very 'lucky'. First 7 starts, 1.88 ERA yeah. But .250 BABIP and 0.56 HR/9. He was certainly good but era is misleading to how good.

Comment

I think the consensus is we'll be opening one spot for sure. Aside from Brad Hand, who really needs an audition? We've kind of figured out LeBlanc's got value and can be a contributor, so I don't think it's him. I always thought Sanabia's repertoire lent itself better in relief (I thought his change up has/had a real chance to be an out pitch when he got his cup of coffee a few years back), so not him.

I'm not opposed to blowing up the back of the rotation, but for whom?

Comment

Sanabia was a guy who could give you five decent innings. Not a long term starting option, but he could easily be a dependable back of the rotation guy. We're getting close to at the very least an 80% chance that Anibal is traded before the deadline. I don't see Zambrano as a DFA kind of guy, and considering there's nobody in the minor leagues tearing it up in a way that would warrant getting Zambrano out of the rotation, I think it's safe to just let him ride it out the rest of the season. He's basically doing in terms of walks what we allowed Volstad to do the last three seasons in allowing home runs.

Comment

Originally posted by dim View Post
          He's basically doing in terms of walks what we allowed Volstad to do the last three seasons in allowing home runs.
          I really don't see the point in mentioning this, especially considering the context of your post.

Volstad was kept around that long because he was cheap, young, and the organization felt he could turn it around to eventually have a future with the team.

Zambrano has absolutely no future with this team.

Comment

He's 31 years old. If you give a player time to "turn it around to eventually have a future with the team" a 31 year old certainly fits that mindset. Especially a 31 year old that started the season the way he did.
            --------------------
            And, to clear up that last thought, this isn't me saying he's "fine" or that he's transformed. He's a bad pitcher. But he's also a bad pitcher who's keeping the ball in the park and getting unlucky with his left runners coming in to score.

That's not to say he translates to a Cy Young contender, but a better bullpen behind him and we're potentially talking about a middle of the road 4/5 type, and a middle of the road 4/5 type open to a one year deal (which, by all accounts, he should be) is probably a better fit for the 2013 club than I think most are giving credit.
            --------------------
            For the sake of argument, let's just say he starts missing bats again around his career K/9 total (career: 7.53, 2012: 6.46) for the remainder of the season, that's a useful back of the rotation type, especially given how we may need to fill as many as three rotation spots for 2013 (Anibal and Z FA's, Ricky potentially dealt).
            Last edited by Swifty; 07-22-2012, 02:45 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Because I think Lou is right in his post about what moves the organization should make moving forward. Keeping Zambrano in the starting rotation is a definite if Sanchez or Nolasco gets moved. You can't just DFA a starting pitcher who can handle a 4-5 spot in the rotation on a team that has given up on the season to throw in 2 rookies.

This could change based on how he plays and what trades are made for september but it is not an option at this point. I think you put him on the block though.

Comment

Buehrle, JJ/Nolasco (or both), LeBlanc, Eovaldi, Turner.

No reason to keep Zambrano.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                  Buehrle, JJ/Nolasco (or both or neither), LeBlanc, Eovaldi, Turner.

No reason to keep Zambrano.
                  Fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by jay576 View Post
                    Fixed.
                    If they trade JJ, they're probably getting another young, ML-ready arm back.
                    --------------------
                    Also, Brad Hand is having a nice year. His success in the minors this year seems more sustainable. I'd like to see him get some starts in the big leagues (since the season is over) before the year ends.
                    Last edited by Erick; 07-25-2012, 12:23 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                      If they trade JJ, they're probably getting another young, ML-ready arm back.
                      --------------------
                      Also, Brad Hand is having a nice year. His success in the minors this year seems more sustainable. I'd like to see him get some starts in the big leagues (since the season is over) before the year ends.
                      Brad Hand is also walking 3.8 per 9 innings this year.

Comment

That's not really that bad.
                        --------------------
                        It's an improvement over last season, and it is coupled with a two K increase in K/9.

It's certainly not great. But it's not awful.
                        Last edited by Bobbob1313; 07-25-2012, 04:32 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                        poop

Comment

Carlos Zambrano, who has been relegated to the bullpen, said his first preference next season would be to return to the Marlins, but only as a starting pitcher. Given his performance this season and the influx of new arms, that scenario appears doubtful. Look for Zambrano, 31, who is expected to become a free agent after the season, to go elsewhere in hopes of landing in some team’s rotation.
                          http://www.bradenton.com/2012/09/01/...#storylink=cpy
                          Originally posted by Madman81
                          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Working...
                          X