No announcement yet.

Giancarlo Stanton, OF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really don't buy AAA being increased competition, as I said at the other place they're going to pitch around him just as much if not more. I know you responded Lou, and I meant to respond back but then I got lazy and forgot and so this is now my response, with how they'll try to get him out or whatever. But I don't think that means anything. A GM isn't going to be going "Man, Player X got Stanton to strike out", instead it's just another strike out, mean while the HRs he will put up will be huge.

I think he should be in AAA right now simply for a chance of scenery, since he has mastered AA. But I don't think it'll really do anything for him in a development sense. We're also talking about the PCL here, which is still a hitters league even if we aren't in ALB anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
      Still to early to give up on Maybin/Coghlan, still can send him to AAA which is increased competition, and I know you like to gloss over the financials, but keeping him down for 35-40 more days secures an extra year of service time and makes a buyout easier 2-3 years down the road. All very important things.
      Yeah, realistically, 1 more year of cheap SuperStanton is worth waiting a month or so
      CSBC Commish

Comment

• We are at a point that it's not even fair to have him in AA. He seems to have accomplished everything in AA already. We should just bring a WE WANT STANTON sign to the game

Comment

• Over/under 100 emails tomorrow about Stanton during the game.

Comment

• Can't we send him on loan to the Japanese league or something?

Comment

• Originally posted by Swift View Post
              Glossing over financials?

If the kid is ready, he's fucking ready. It'd be one thing if he were being held down because we have more capable players at the big league level, but we don't.

Here's a financial: post season revenue.
              Yes, glossing over financials because all you ever say is "he's fucking ready." Serious serious payroll ramifications longterm if he works out. These 30-40 days could cost the Marlins Super 2 Status, which raises his value what, $8-10 million over years 3-6? (Let alone the "7th" year of club control). Do I think Stanton in May 2010 is worth that kind of money? NO. And that's a very reasonable projection, because if he is Ryan Howardish, May 2010 could cost the Marlins $15-20 million over those years. Literally. This isn't Coghlan who slap hits where a Super 2 bump isn't a big deal. This is a BIG DEAL with a guy who can hit 40/120. And it's silly to just say, "he's ready" when there is a multi multi million dollar decision that vanishes in 5 weeks.

Also, Coghlan and Maybin are "fucking ready" too. Agreed Stanton has more upside, but you can't just start casting aside players who are also potentially well above average guys. We need all of them. Stanton is still 20 and hasn't played in AAA. I do not think 5 weeks in AAA is unreasonable so he can see an increased level of competition, while giving Coghlan/Maybin another 100 PA to either sort it out or not, and saving a SIGNIFICANT amount of money that is in no way, shape, or form trivial. As for not as capable players - SAMPLE SIZE. Again, another thing that vanishes in another 5 weeks.

As for playoff revenues, my question is, do you think Stanton for 30 games in May/early June makes or break this team as a playoff team. I'm cool if you want to say YES and go all homer on this, but my answer is NO. The marlins can hit. He's not winning us another 5-8 games in MAY to get this to a 90 win team. That's very important to remember.

The smart decision is to move him to NOLA, see how Cam and Cog hit in May, see how Stanton hits in AAA, and June 10thish (haven't done exact math), you make the decision. All financial and performance arguments out the window.

5 weeks my friend. 5 weeks.

Comment

• I can get behind AAA, but if he's not there now, I think it's pretty clear he's hanging out in AA until we figure out who sits. Quite frankly, we could throw a dart at our OF depth chart and find the right name; they're all equally crappy and questionable long term OF answers.

You could demote BC, let him play every day in NoLa, platoon Cody and Cogs in left, play Maybin in center, Stanton in right and let Cody spell each of them once a week or so and not cost anyone their opportunity to grow and give Cam enough time for us to finally pull the plug (or Cogs too but that's less likely).

Long term, the $8 mil in savings should be largely irrelevant because (1) the new stadium and (2) Stanton should get a Longoria deal the second he's promoted, especially if we're giving him this much time to reenforce how awesome he is.

Comment

• Really no point in moving him to New Orleans. If you are going to promote him, put him on the main roster.

I also think you are overstepping when you say that AAA is an increased level of competition. There is more talent in AA, but more experience in AAA. At best it is a lateral move.
                  Last edited by Todd; 05-03-2010, 04:51 PM.
                  Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                  Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                  Noah Perio
                  Jupiter
                  39 AB
                  15 H
                  0 2B
                  0 3B
                  0 HR
                  0 BB
                  .385/.385/.385

Comment

• I think AAA is a step up if they're clearly not pitching to him at AA; rather have him face guys that nibble than guys that want no part of him.

He's clearly got the Barry "I'm only seeing one pitch per AB" Bonds approach down. Now lets see if he can get 3-5 "pitcher's pitches" per AB and get used to laying off them and only hitting mistakes.

Comment

I think AAA is a step up if they're clearly not pitching to him at AA; rather have him face guys that nibble than guys that want no part of him.

He's clearly got the Barry "I'm only seeing one pitch per AB" Bonds approach down. Now lets see if he can get 3-5 "pitcher's pitches" per AB and get used to laying off them and only hitting mistakes.
                      Bingo
                      CSBC Commish

Comment

• Originally posted by PitchingWinsGames View Post
                        Bingo
                        Well, it's only bingo if that's what's going to happen at AAA, and there's no guarantee.

Also, for organizational reasons we may not be privy to, Jacksonville may be superior to NoLa for any number of reasons; we tried like hell to get there (Jax).

I think Mike's done with AA, but I don't know if there's really anything waiting for him at AAA.

Comment

• edit: nevermind
                          Last edited by wanks1212; 05-03-2010, 05:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Baseball Prospectus' Future Shock
                            Mike Stanton, OF, Marlins (Double-A Jacksonville)
                            With a minor league-leading 12 home runs, including eight in his last eight games, there's little to debate when it comes to Stanton's talent. It's even more clear that he needs to get out of the Southern League, as pitches have all but stopped pitching to him in Barry Bonds-like fashion. Since his three-homer outburst last Monday, he's had 17 at-bats and eight walks, giving him 25 free passes on the season, including five intentional, a number nearly unheard of at the minor-league level. He has a good approach, but he's hardly a walk machine, as his 25 walks and .505 on-base percentage are a function of how the league is treating him as opposed to his ability. Then again, simply generating this kind of treatment is an extreme talent in and of itself.
                            Not really much to see there, but he is getting press.
                            poop

Comment

• I'm pretty sure we've been over this before, but there are more top prospects in AAA than AA (or there were last year).

Comment

I can get behind AAA, but if he's not there now, I think it's pretty clear he's hanging out in AA until we figure out who sits. Quite frankly, we could throw a dart at our OF depth chart and find the right name; they're all equally crappy and questionable long term OF answers.

You could demote BC, let him play every day in NoLa, platoon Cody and Cogs in left, play Maybin in center, Stanton in right and let Cody spell each of them once a week or so and not cost anyone their opportunity to grow and give Cam enough time for us to finally pull the plug (or Cogs too but that's less likely).

Long term, the $8 mil in savings should be largely irrelevant because (1) the new stadium and (2) Stanton should get a Longoria deal the second he's promoted, especially if we're giving him this much time to reenforce how awesome he is.
                                I really don't see how $2 million a season is largely irrelevant (and as said, if he goes Ryan Howard and hits his projection, it's more like $3-4 a year). I understand payroll *should* jump to $70-80 million for 2013-2015, which is the years we are talking about, but that's still a real bench player, or a real loogy, versus some other players. In those years, Hanley, Johnson, Nolasco/Another Starter, Volstad, Coghlan, and some free agents really skyrocket payroll. There will still be "nickel and diming" the last 10 spots on the roster, and $2+ million will matter in that regard. Not worth 5 weeks of Stanton May/June 2010.

Especially compared to the alternative is 5 weeks. 5 weeks call him up and that above paragraph is totally and completely irrelevant.

I am all for whatever crazy OF alignment/platoon anyone wants to do June 10th. But not now. Coghlan just won rookie of the year. I know he's struggling, but we can't start outright platooning him. He's earned at least May more than Stanton has earned a promotion. Right?

---

Second point, to Todd as well, AAA is certainly a stronger league than AA. I can agree, maybe more "prospects" and "fastballs" are in AA, but there are more "pitchers" in AAA. Stanton can hit, there's no question. I don't see how exposing him to "crafty vets" or whatever we want to call them for a month is a bad idea. Those guys have been around and have gotten a lot of outs. I don't see this as a lateral move at all. It may not be as large of a jump as A+ to AA, or AAA to the majors, but it's a jump and going to expose him to a higher talent level.

Clearly, we all agree keeping him in AA is stupid. But to just jump him to the bigs as is when it wouldn't hurt him to hang out in NOLA for 5 weeks which is increased competition, combined with Maybin/Coghlan/Money issues. I mean, this is a no brainer.

Comment

Working...
                                X