No announcement yet.

Giancarlo Stanton, OF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I mean Beckett's still the best prospect in organizational history but I think Stanton's surpassed Miggy/Hermida among the hitters. Case could be made for any of the three, but we've clearly got something overly special on our hands. I'm incredibly excited.

Comment

I think the comparisons are valid, but what a silly contest.
      Record when He pitches: 3-2

Comment

I give the nod to Stanton for this reason:

He was pretty much universally considered to be either the best or the 2nd best position prospect in the game now that Heyward was called up, and I don't think Cabrera was ever at that point.

Hermida was, but the important note is that that was after his monster AA campaign. He never followed up a top 5 ranking with monster production like Stanton is, and Cabrera was never as highly thought of as Stanton is now, plus he didn't have the in game production Stanton did until he was the 12th ranked prospect in baseball.
        poop

Comment

Cabrera wasn't at that point because he hadn't been anywhere near as productive as Stanton had prior to his AA outbreak.

I mean, BA ranked him the #12 prospect in the game after coming off a .754 OPS in Jupiter.

If we're talking about May Stanton v.s. May Cabrera, that becomes a lot more argumentative. You can't really judge them by pre-season opinions.

Comment

Can someone post this?

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog?...26id%3d5150688

Comment

Here's the Stanton part:

Seven years ago, the Florida Marlins promoted a 20-year-old from Triple-A, believing that he could help the big league team make a playoff push -- and that's exactly what Miguel Cabrera did.

And sometime soon, the Marlins will make a similar move with another young slugger.

Florida has seen suitable improvement in Mike Stanton's command of the strike zone and ability to lay off pitches out of the strike zone, and Stanton is destroying pitching in Double-A.

His numbers:

Batting average: .347
              On-base percentage: .490
              Homers: 10
              OPS: 1.317
              Walks/Strikeouts: 20/21, in 75 at-bats

When Stanton reaches the big leagues soon, there will be growing pains, as there has been with Jason Heyward. There will be days when he is overmatched, when he might strike out three or four times. But he is the kind of talent who can impact a pennant race, as Cabrera did, and he will be in the Marlins' lineup in the weeks ahead.

And remember the what-could-have-been conversation that we'll have for years. As the Braves went into the 2007 draft, they felt good about their chances to get Heyward, and had concern about only one team pre-empting them -- the Florida Marlins.

The Marlins did not take Heyward, but in the second round, they snagged Stanton, leaving us to talk about how an outfield of Heyward and Stanton might have looked.

Comment

And remember the what-could-have-been conversation that we'll have for years. As the Braves went into the 2007 draft, they felt good about their chances to get Heyward, and had concern about only one team pre-empting them -- the Florida Marlins.

The Marlins did not take Heyward, but in the second round, they snagged Stanton, leaving us to talk about how an outfield of Heyward and Stanton might have looked.
                Wow, I never knew that...

Comment

Everything I remember from that draft had him (Heyward) as a guy the Giants really liked but thought was too raw and thus they thought they could pass on him at 9 or 10 or wherever they were and get him with their compensatory 1st rounder.

So forget the Stanton-Heyward OF, that probably never happens since if we took one we wouldn't take the other, could you imagine Heyward and Kung-Fu-Panda?

Comment

Sure be nice if the Marlins can get better production out of the top of the order, i.e. lead-off hitter Cameron Maybin and No. 2 hitter Chris Coghlan.

Maybin has struck out 29 times, tied for second most in the NL. Coghlan is batting .179, although he has hit in five straight games.

“Sure there’s concern,” manager Fredi Gonzalez said.

” I think Coghlan will come out of his. I think you are seeing signs. He’s hitting the ball hard. I’ve seen him taking pitches. I’m not really concerned about Coghlan right now. I think Maybin is one of those guys that’s going to strike out.”

My colleague Tom D’Angelo caught up with Larry Beinfest, the Marlins’ baseball operations president, on the field a few minutes ago. Tom asked Larry the question that I’ve been asked countless times on this blog and via Twitter — when will Stanton join the Marlins?

“Keep doing what he’s doing. Obviously he’s had a great week,” Beinfest said.

Obviously. Six home runs and 14 RBI for Stanton since Sunday. He’s currently on an 8-game hitting streak, batting .452 (14-of-31) during the streak with 7 home runs and 16 RBI. His 10 home runs leads all of Minor League Baseball while his 20 walks are the second most in the minors.

“He’s one of the better prospects in the game,” Beinfest said, “but we like our outfield here right now. He’s only been in Double-A for a month (this year) and a limited time last year. So just keep putting up the numbers and do what hes been doing and the rest of it will take care of itself.”

Beinfest also pointed out that the organization wants to make sure Stanton is healthy. A stress fracture to his vertebrae limited him to five games in Arizona Fall League in October, but so far there have been no problems with his back.

“Is there a timetable? You got me,” Larry said. “If he keeps going like he’s going, he’s gonna create opportunity for himself. I hate to put a timetable on anything but he’s doing great and hopefully he’ll just keep getting better.”
                    Florida Marlins baseball boss on when prospect Mike Stanton may get called up: We like our outfield here

This was written on the 30th but didn't see it here.

Comment

Originally posted by Swift View Post
                      Everything I remember from that draft had him (Heyward) as a guy the Giants really liked but thought was too raw and thus they thought they could pass on him at 9 or 10 or wherever they were and get him with their compensatory 1st rounder.

So forget the Stanton-Heyward OF, that probably never happens since if we took one we wouldn't take the other, could you imagine Heyward and Kung-Fu-Panda?
                      Taking one wouldnt of precluded taking the other. Stanton was a relatively cheap signing(just a tad above slot IIRC). Either way, I am happy with Dominguez and think he will turn into a nice player.
                      Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                      Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                      Noah Perio
                      Jupiter
                      39 AB
                      15 H
                      0 2B
                      0 3B
                      0 HR
                      0 BB
                      .385/.385/.385

Comment

So far today.... 2-3, HR, 3 RBI

Batting Avg .365

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by LocoMarlinFan View Post
                            So far today.... 2-3, HR, 3 RBI

Batting Avg .365
                            JUST STOP IT!

Comment

LMAO this guy is amazing.
                              "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                              - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

lol... I'm all for keeping him down a bit longer but this guy is making it hard for me to stand by my original thinking. I still think you should keep him down to avoid super 2 and give the current OF a chance to show what they can do.. but damn this guy is just amazing right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X